A very silly question?

I have a nervous condition that courses irratinal fears and though i know they are silly, they course me tremendous anxiety (please forgive my spelling, I’m a little dyslexic). This could be behind this question.

I prayed and i asked God to protect a young man that means a great deal to me. In my prayer i said to God, that though I’m scared, this person means more to me than the continuation of my life. I ment it, i would not take that back no matter what, but now i think i’m going to die…I did say it was a silly question…do you think this is so? Though i would be willing to die for him…

Living with servere OCD is very, very hard and people are not always kind when they find out you have such an illness. I don’t like hideing the fact that i have OCD, because i believe God gave me this sickness for a reason and i do not see myself as the worst off, there are many i would not trade places with…I think in the sceme of things, that I’m very lucky.

I also wanted to ask…I say my prayers every night, but because of my illness it is hard and stressful, but i always try my best, I’m always worried that I’m saying the wrong things in my prayers and such and i can no longer say my Rosary, which breaks my heart. I used to love to pray, but now it is so hard, that i can say very little and i always feel guilty about this, I wish i could pray for an hour a day like is used to, but now i can pray for no longer than ten minutes and I’m always worried that God will be angry with me.

I’m sorry to ask about my prayers and my illness, maybe this was not good to post? Please delete this thread, if this was not good to post…

Hi Angel Fish,

God loves you just the way your are. He made you. If the “way you are” means you can only pray 10 minutes, God would not have created that situation if He demanded 15 of you for satisfaction.

Prayer as we think of it (speaking aloud or silently) is really only for our benefit, to reassure us our communication “went out,” so to speak. God knows what is truly in our heart. He would know better than you that your intention was to pray longer than you are physically capable of right now. The fact that you would humble yourself and even feel troubled by what you perceive as a lack is, in itself, a very high form of worship.

Do you remember the Mk 12/Lk 21 story of the widow that put two mites into the treasury at the temple? Jesus found it so profound that He gathered His disciples to teach them about it. What He told them was that while she put less in the treasury money-wise, her gift was more substantial than all the others combined because the others gave of their excess while she gave all she had. If you only have 10 minutes to give, then give it all and know with confidence God accepts it in the same spirit of love that He accepted two mites.

i would not take that back no matter what, but now i think i’m going to die…I did say it was a silly question…do you think this is so? Though i would be willing to die for him…

Are you thinking that you’re going to die because of a prayer you said for someone else?

Don’t worry. God doesn’t work that way.

Thankyou. Sometimes OCD can make religion very confusing ^____^ but i always feel like i sound like an idiot when i post :snowing:

You are not an idiot. I suffer from nervous/anxiety problems too. God takes care of me. He knows what I can and can’t do, and He helps me out. I know He can help you out too.

-J

:hug3: I know He will too.

It’s not a silly question at all.

What counts is your intention. Not how long you pray. It does not matter that you cannot pray for long - God “looks on the heart”, at what we intend to do; our actions take second place to that. No human being. no Christian, can pray well - that is why we need the Holy Spirit:

26Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
[LIST]
*][biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%208&version=ESV](“http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%208&version=ESV”)
[/LIST]So we are not left to ourselves when we pray - we have God’s help. That is true when we are well, and when we not well: ***we ***change, but God does not. You would not want to pray, if God did not give you the will to do so. As God has given you the will to pray - how can He be angry with you ?

If you remember the poem footsteps it helps to imagine that Christ is always with you and He carries you through the toughest times when you need Him most.

I think it is great that you pray every day and Gottle is right, your intention is important.
Plus, quantity in prayer is not necessarily a sign of quality. God knows what is in our hearts.

My dear friend

You won’t die until your at your best and ready to go, and only God knows and chooses this time. So don’t worry. Your crosses are great gifts and blessings that will give you a treasure of infinite value if used wisely. With your prayer God does not care about what we say, even before we pray God has heard our prayer because He reads our hearts and minds and knows what we will pray about or for before we even do it. The following scripture quote tells us to not worry and just pray without concern for the right words or to make eloquet prayers and get everyhig perfect etc. A perfect prayer is one that comes straight from the heart full of love regardless of words.

Matt.6
7] "And in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
8] Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Hope I’ve been useful. I’ll pray for you dear friend.

God bless you and Mary keep you, on this her birthday:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

I think I know what this is like because I struggle with something very similar. I get irrational fears and anxiety and I used to struggle with OCD (though not severe) but it’s a bit better now. I know it can make spirituality really hard. But try to focus on God’s mercy and remember He loves you just as you are, He values your prayers even if you see fault with them.

Regarding your question, remember that it is God who decides how to answer our prayers. I’m sure it pleased Him that you love another person more than your life. But that doesn’t mean you will die. Remember, God decides that… and He sees the intention of your heart.

Living with servere OCD is very, very hard and people are not always kind when they find out you have such an illness. I don’t like hideing the fact that i have OCD, because i believe God gave me this sickness for a reason and i do not see myself as the worst off, there are many i would not trade places with…I think in the sceme of things, that I’m very lucky.

I’m sorry that people have not been kind :hug1:

there’s nothing at all wrong with what you posted :slight_smile: don’t worry.

Remember it is not how much we do that counts before God, but the love with which you do it. God sees that it is difficult for you but you still pray, and I’m sure this pleases Him. Try to remember that He is ALWAYS pleased when we pray even if our prayers are not perfect. He answers our prayers because of His mercy, not because of anything we said. So don’t be afraid… there are so many people who don’t pray at all, and I think when God looks at you, He is pleased with your intention and effort.

God bless you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.