A Virgin Mary statue in a Fresno house is being called a miracle

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) –

A statue of the Virgin Mary in Fresno appears to be weeping. The family who owns the statue calls it a miracle and said it’s been happening for a while.

To the faithful, Maria Cardenas said the statue of the Virgin Mary is a blessing. Tears seem to well up in her right eye and stream down her face to her chin.

Cardenas said it’s beautiful the way she looks right now. Every tear, she said, is nothing short of a miracle. So she collects them in a glass and shares them with those who find their way to this home.

A lot of people come and they can’t believe it, she said, but they come with faith.

“I wanted to come see for myself,” said Richard Quintana, neighbor.

Quintana just moved in across the street and he was invited in to take a look, for the first time.

“That’s amazing. It takes the words out of my mouth-- like wow. I’m so amazed,” said Quintana.

Cardenas said I don’t understand why she’s doing it but it’s something good.
She said the statue was a Mother’s Day gift she received 10 years ago almost to the day. But it didn’t start weeping, she said until a year and a half ago when her cousin, Jessie Lopez, was murdered.

Sometimes she doesn’t cry for weeks or months Cardenas said, but when she starts, she will cry again.

Action News cameras watched one of the tears fall. It was oily and smelled like roses. And another tear immediately started building up.

One man, who didn’t want to be identified is the statue’s caretaker. He said people have tried to figure it out but have only come up with one explanation.

“We’ve had priests come from all over to look at her, and all they say is that it’s a miracle.”

At this house the Virgin Mary statue weeps, or so it seems, for anyone to see, not just the faithful.

"We’re not hiding her, but at the same time, we don’t want anything to happen to her,’ said the caretaker.

The people who live at the house said the door is open to anyone. They don’t want to give the address, but if you are invited, you are welcome inside.

Link:
abc30.com/1330917/

Wow! Thanks for sharing this! :thumbsup:

I don’t see why the appearance of water on a painted statue or on a painted icon is a miracle. If a man came home from the war in Syria or Afghanistan with no arms and only one leg and then he prayed to the Mother of God and as a result, his arms and leg grew back, yes, I would call that a miracle.

That’s so interesting! I hope it will be examined by a scientist to see a possible explanation.

Of course, I am fairly certain of the explanation. :wink:

Are you saying unexplained events should only be called miracles when they involve humans, not objects?

What would you call it then? You make an interesting distinction.

Would you dare say that to our Lord Himself, when He was giving vision to the blind and walking on the water? :mad:

Very neat! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

God bless! :slight_smile:

I am talking about weeping statues.
“On July 29, 2004 the Catholic Church issued a statement that their investigation of two bleeding and weeping statues in the Vietnamese Community Church in Brisbane (Australia) are not a miracle but fakes.”
skeptic.com/eskeptic/04-07-30/

Because some are fakes, all are fakes?

A number of times I have read about people who were “miraculously” cured of some ailment that can spontaneously go away on its own. I have asked people in this situation, “Why doesn’t God heal amputees?” The answer I get is because missing limbs isn’t life threatening. Apparently being without limbs, is too trivial for the attention of the almighty.

All I can say is, I really, really hope that there isn’t a God wasting his efforts making statues weep when there are so many better uses of His talents.

God making statues weep would not be a waste of God’s time. God has the so many talents that I am sure he has the ability to multi-task.

Definetly something to keep an eye on, I am not ready to call it a hoax just yet. Also, I find that events like this are always symbolic in some way.

I am sure, Jesus healed amputees among all the others. But the most important thing He did was remitting the sins. To forgive sins of the paralyzed man was more important for Him than to say “Stand up and walk”.

People who demand God to “prove” His existence to them remind me of Pharisees, who called Jesus to step down from the cross. :frowning:

To the point. I am sure, God heals amputees from time to time, but He does that in such a way that it does not become a puclic revelation, publicised through media. Blessed are those who did not see, but believed.

I am a sceptic myself and always wait to hear the results of an investigation before accepting it as true.

I was referring to your comment that the term miracle should be limited to the healing of a human person.

I’m betting it’s moisture in the air, and simply condensation developing. If you moved the statue to a completely dry place, it wouldn’t occur.

Jesus did put back the ear of a soldier that was cut off by St. Peter.

p.s. Perhaps she is crying for all the lost souls who don’t believe.

There are numerous stories of healing from Lourdes, Padre Pio…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.