A visit with our Sister Mary (Bonaventure)

I won’t paste the whole transcript here, but in honor of the upcoming feast of St. Bonaventure, I’ve posted my interview with our Sister Mary (Bonaventure) who was a teacher and an artist. If you’re interested, check it out at: ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com/

Sr. Mary (Bonaventure) was born Veronica Sand on January 25, 1915 in rural Rosholt, SD. She attended St. Francis Academy, Hankinson, and was one of the three members of the first graduating class in 1934.

Like her namesake, St. Bonaventure, Sister also was a teacher, instructing students in our schools and elsewhere. She also produced much of her own beautiful work, including the large painting of our Lady of Fatima which hangs presently in St. Francis Convent, Hankinson.

When Sisters were able to change their names after Vatican II, she opted for a name that honored our Blessed Mother, who she so beautifully depicted in various artwork. In her later years, she was simply known as “Sister Mary.” Sr. Mary died last December at the age of 99.

closed #2

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.