A vote for the Constitution Party?

I really like the Constitution Party's platform.

It's überpro-life.

We affirm the God-given legal personhood of all human beings from
fertilization to natural death, without exception. The first duty of the law
is to protect innocent life, created in the image of God. No government
may legalize the taking of life without justification. Legalizing the
termination of innocent life of the born or unborn, whether by abortion,
infanticide, euthanasia or suicide, is a direct violation of their
unalienable right to life. As to matters of rape and incest, we find it
unconscionable to take the life of an innocent child for the crimes of his
father.

Under no circumstances may the federal government fund or otherwise
support any state or local government or any organization or entity,
foreign or domestic, which advocates, encourages or participates in the
practice of abortion. We also oppose the distribution and use of all
abortifacients, and the funding and legalization of bio-research
involving human embryonic or pre-embryonic cells.
In office, we shall only appoint to the federal judiciary, and to other
positions of federal authority, qualified individuals who publicly
acknowledge and commit themselves to the legal personhood of the
pre-born child. In addition, we will do all that is within our power to
encourage federal, state, and local government officials to protect the
sanctity of the life of the pre-born through legislation, executive action,
and judicial enforcement of the law of the land.

Article IV of the Constitution guarantees to each state a republican
form of government. Therefore, although a Supreme Court opinion is
binding on the parties to the controversy as to the particulars of the
case, it is not a political rule for the nation. Roe v. Wade is an
illegitimate usurpation of authority, contrary to the law of the nation's
Charter and Constitution. It must be resisted by all civil government
officials, federal, state, and local, and by all branches of the
government - legislative, executive and judicial.

We affirm both the authority and duty of Congress to limit the appellate
jurisdiction of the Supreme Court in all cases of abortion in accordance
with the U.S. Constitution, Article III, Section 2.
Further, we condemn the misuse of federal laws against pro-life
demonstrators, and strongly urge the repeal of the FACE Acts as an
unconstitutional expansion of federal power into areas reserved to the
states or people by the Tenth Amendment.

[RIGHT]I love it.[/RIGHT]

If only they had an electable candidate. :(

I like the party as well. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend a CP conference in Alexandria two years ago, and would love to go again.

[quote="Inego_de_Loyola, post:2, topic:304044"]
If only they had an electable candidate. :(

[/quote]

That's what the Republicans and Democrats want you to think.

The best thing these folks could do is to work within the GOP and force it to go more conservative and pro-life. Or, even the Democrat party. Whichever. I actually have no preference as to which party becomes more conservative, pro-life, and pro-Constitution (originalist). If it's the Democrat Party, fine.

But voting third party does not help the situation at present. Just my opinion and observation from 30 + years of voting.

[quote="KevinAK, post:4, topic:304044"]
That's what the Republicans and Democrats want you to think.

[/quote]

Exactly.:thumbsup:

[quote="lerapt78, post:6, topic:304044"]
Exactly.:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Pardon me if I don't drink the kool-aid and instead vote for someone with a chance at defeating the incumbent. I would hope we've learned our lesson from the 1860 election. When good folks divide their vote, bad guys win.

[quote="Inego_de_Loyola, post:7, topic:304044"]
Pardon me if I don't drink the kool-aid and instead vote for someone with a chance at defeating the incumbent. I would hope we've learned our lesson from the 1860 election. When good folks divide their vote, bad guys win.

[/quote]

It's the best they can do, rather that actually vote for a different party. Either that, or they will stay home. You gotta give it to the Democrat party - their voters are the most loyal voters, bar none.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:5, topic:304044"]

But voting third party does not help the situation at present. Just my opinion and observation from 30 + years of voting.

[/quote]

Keyword in bold. In the future, the GOP may not be nearly so pro-life. I seem to recall Archbishop Charles Chaput saying something about the GOP ceasing to be pro-life in twenty years, at which point voting 3rd party may become imperative.

I don't think we're at that point yet; the GOP still has some legitimate pro-life forces in it. If Romney is elected, he'll probably be pro-life enough to appoint judges and enact policies that will have at least marginal benefit to the pro-life cause.

In the interest of full disclosure, I voted Romney, but I seriously considered Virgil Goode (the CP nominee) for a time.

[quote="ssancho, post:9, topic:304044"]
Keyword in bold. In the future, the GOP may not be nearly so pro-life. I seem to recall Archbishop Charles Chaput saying something about the GOP ceasing to be pro-life in twenty years, at which point voting 3rd party may become imperative.

I don't think we're at that point yet; the GOP still has some legitimate pro-life forces in it. If Romney is elected, he'll probably be pro-life enough to appoint judges and enact policies that will have at least marginal benefit to the pro-life cause.

In the interest of full disclosure, I voted Romney, but I seriously considered Virgil Goode (the CP nominee) for a time.

[/quote]

I think we're more or less on the same page.

Either way, like my little political pamphlet which my parish was passing around said, we Catholics need to get more involved in politics, especially now, that society is very quickly normalizing the murder of both innocent children ("abortion") and dehumanization of almost anyone who isn't "American," across my generation, the younglings.

We need to shove it to both parties, to go back to being completely pro-life in all ways, respecting life from conception to natural death.

To be honest, though, I have no idea how to do with this with demokrats. I always end being called a sexist, or something like that, when I explain why abortion is wrong etc....

LOL

I'm not sexist! I'm just don't think that murdering innocent beings is an act of charity that should be done without any thought! And, by the way, it's a total insult to our creator!

People drive me nuts.:shrug:

The leaders of the entrenched parties want us to believe that America can never have a workable multi-party system, despite the fact that many other nations have such a system. Unfortunately until enough people reject the false premise of "only two parties" then the problem will continue. Those who have courage will break away from this herd mentality, will understand that the Republican and Democratic parties will only change when forced to change, and will know that a sizable bloc of voters who vote for a third party platform are a positive agent of this change.

[quote="Faithdancer, post:12, topic:304044"]
The leaders of the entrenched parties want us to believe that America can never have a workable multi-party system, despite the fact that many other nations have such a system. Unfortunately until enough people reject the false premise of "only two parties" then the problem will continue. Those who have courage will break away from this herd mentality, will understand that the Republican and Democratic parties will only change when forced to change, and will know that a sizable bloc of voters who vote for a third party platform are a positive agent of this change.

[/quote]

I believe it is wise to cultivate new parties, but if your guy hasn't a chance of winning in an election this important then put your votes where they will do some good. For the CP I recommend they work on getting cities, counties/parishes, state senate seats etc, so that they can build a base and public awareness and eventually become viable on a national scale. As it stands a vote for Virgil Goode is a vote completely wasted.

[quote="Faithdancer, post:12, topic:304044"]

[/quote]

Could not disagree more. Standing outside the current system achieves nothing. Getting involved in the party that you believe more viable WILL change the system, from the inside out. But go ahead and take your dollies and dishes and stalk home.

:shrug:

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:8, topic:304044"]
You gotta give it to the Democrat party - their voters are the most loyal voters, bar none.

[/quote]

I'm not sure that is true. Although it can never be proven, many people believe that Ralph Nader's candidacy in 2000 siphoned off enough normally Democratic voters as to give the election to Bush.

And it’s an uber waste of a vote which would help enable Obama to win. A better idea is for liberals to vote for Rosanne Barr so that votes can be taken away from Obama to help Romney win.

[quote="Inego_de_Loyola, post:13, topic:304044"]
As it stands a vote for Virgil Goode is a vote completely wasted.

[/quote]

Not as much as one may think. I voted for Alan Keyes when he ran against Obama for the U.S. Senate seat. Keyes was given less than 5% chance of winning and about the same percentage of the vote. As it turns out, he didn't win but he ended up with about 30% of the vote and a clear message was sent. Point is if no one expects much of the Constitution Party but it manages to get 1-2% of the vote, and neither major party candidate gets 50%, it will be noticed. If not, the major party will continue their back-stabbing against each other and situation will only worsen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.