A wiccan charm in the workplace

My boss yesterday showed us (all the employees working at the time) a wiccan charm (some crystal rock) hanging from the ceiling at the back of the restaurant. (Edited out specifics of name & location) My first thought was to do something violent but I calmed down and remembered that Jesus told me to love my enemies. Can anyone give me some advice? I’ll probably consult my priest today.

obviously the manager has granted the right to employees to display symbols of their religion in the workplace, so your next step should be obvious. Buy the most ornate crucifix or lifesize painting of Our lady of Guadalupe and display it prominently. if there is a protest, take legal action.

Would a star of David or a star and crescent rile you to the point of violence?

Wicca is just a synthetic religion, very foolish in my mind. But it’s nothing more.

If it bothers you, don’t go there. I personally wouldn’t mind working at a place whose owner’s faith differs from mine, but if you don’t want to do it, that’s your right, too.

Well, in my workplace, my boss sells voodoo charms (of course sugared with positive on the charm, (like a ‘protection’ voodoo charm or a ‘love’ voodoo charm), etc). I told my spiritual director and he gave me holy water blessed with the original exorcism blessing. With God’s timing, the boss and I were having lunch and she opened the conversation with ghosts. Bingo! I got to talk about the voodoo charms and the harm this could cause to our customers let alone to the store and those working in it. I also explained that I was in an exorcism for 5 years…Just found she will not sell anymore of them. Thank you Jesus! :dancing:

Your statement does not match the Church’s sentiment on Wicca. Here is some information:

catholiculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=611

Where can I learn more about holy water and what an “original exorcism blessing” is?

[quote=newbiefound]Where can I learn more about holy water and what an “original exorcism blessing” is?
[/quote]

Only a priest can do this…but here ya go…landru.i-link-2.net/shnyves/old_blessing_of_holy_water.htm

[quote=newbiefound]My boss yesterday showed us (all the employees working at the time) a wiccan charm (some crystal rock) hanging from the ceiling at the back of the restaurant. (Edited out specifics of name & location) My first thought was to do something violent but I calmed down and remembered that Jesus told me to love my enemies. Can anyone give me some advice? I’ll probably consult my priest today.
[/quote]

A number of years ago a friend and mine visited a “New Age” bookstore that had recently opened in our neighborhood. We sprinkled Blessed Salt around the store; not too long after it closed. :smiley: Needless to say, I highly recommend use of this sacramental. This article will give you more information about it and its use:

members.tripod.com/~catholic2/salt.htm

You should wear a St. Benedict’s Cross. You can read all about it, and stories associated with its use, and educate anyone who wants to hear an interesting story just wha tit is. Bring a small bottle of Holy Water and bless the restaurant often.

I have a friend who was involved with Wicca. She has renounced it because weird things were happening in her house, like objects moving and lights blinking. We gave her some holy water to bless the house and now things are better. Her friend that taught her Wicca moved out of town (an answered prayer), but came back for the holidays and gave her some furniture. Her husband freaked when he found this out. He said there was a negative energy and rotten meat smell after the furniture came in the house. He felt sick at his stomach and his head hurt.
Is it possible that objects that belonged to a Wicca/Satanist are possessed? We moved the furniture out into the garage and they are planning to give it away. Is it necessary to do this? Would holy water make them OK to keep?
BG

I forgot to mention I’m not fully catholic yet. These things wouldn’t be available to someone who had not received full communion right?

[quote=bettyg51]I have a friend who was involved with Wicca. She has renounced it because weird things were happening in her house, like objects moving and lights blinking. We gave her some holy water to bless the house and now things are better. Her friend that taught her Wicca moved out of town (an answered prayer), but came back for the holidays and gave her some furniture. Her husband freaked when he found this out. He said there was a negative energy and rotten meat smell after the furniture came in the house. He felt sick at his stomach and his head hurt.
Is it possible that objects that belonged to a Wicca/Satanist are possessed? We moved the furniture out into the garage and they are planning to give it away. Is it necessary to do this? Would holy water make them OK to keep?
BG
[/quote]

I guess it’s possible that there was some kind of negative energy associated with the furniture. Did the husband “freak out” before he knew where the furniture came from? If not, it’s quite possible that this is a psychological reaction. Maybe the furniture smells bad because its owner had bad hygiene or something. There’s certainly no harm in talking to a priest about having the furniture blessed or in just getting rid of the furniture.

[quote=newbiefound]I forgot to mention I’m not fully catholic yet. These things wouldn’t be available to someone who had not received full communion right?
[/quote]

Consult your priest for advice.

Get a St. Benedict Medal and wear it on a chain. Get some Holy Water and spread it liberally around. Holy water can be obtained at any Catholic Church. Go to a Catholic bookstore and get a little plastic holy water bottle to put it in. You can get your St. Benedict medal there too. Have it blessed by the priest.

[quote=newbiefound]I forgot to mention I’m not fully catholic yet. These things wouldn’t be available to someone who had not received full communion right?
[/quote]

Certainly they are.

Sacramentals are for everyone. A crucific, a rosary, a medal… none of these things require that you be received into the Church first.

I talked to my priest earlier today

me: “my boss showed me and his other employees that he had a wiccan charm hanging in the back of our workplace and i was thinking maybe you could give me some holy water…”

priest: “why, so you could throw it at it?” (laughter)

me: “no, for protection”

priest: “well how about you just wear a cross and say a prayer”

me: “any prayer in particular?”

priest: “any prayer you know, even something like ‘god help me’.”

me: “okay, thank you father”

[quote=1ke]Certainly they are.

Sacramentals are for everyone. A crucific, a rosary, a medal… none of these things require that you be received into the Church first.
[/quote]

Sorry to double post but where is a good place to buy these things?

[quote=newbiefound]I talked to my priest earlier today

me: “my boss showed me and his other employees that he had a wiccan charm hanging in the back of our workplace and i was thinking maybe you could give me some holy water…”

priest: “why, so you could throw it at it?” (laughter)

me: “no, for protection”

priest: “well how about you just wear a cross and say a prayer”

me: “any prayer in particular?”

priest: “any prayer you know, even something like ‘god help me’.”

me: “okay, thank you father”
[/quote]

If you are worried about “bad juju” from the wiccan charm, please recite the St. Michael’s prayer every day you are at work. People should say it every day anyway, but it was composed by Pope Leo XIII as an exorcism prayer and it’s pretty easy to memorize. St. Michael is my hero.
I also just have to swallow the bile at the back of my throat because you know if anyone displayed a Christian symbol or saint statue in their place of business for protection, the ACLU would shut them down in no time flat. Rrrr. :mad:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.