ABC News' 20/20 Special on the Resurrection

I just wanted to let everyone know that 20/20 will be airing a special on the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. I’m sure that the majority of scholars who will be interviewed will be skeptics but there will be several Christians apologists who will argue for a boldily resurrection including William Lane Craig, Lee Strobel and Paul Maier. I believe it airs at 10 p.m. Eastern time on ABC.

I’ll definitely be sure to check that out. Thanks!

[quote=OMG THEOLOGIST]I’ll definitely be sure to check that out. Thanks!
[/quote]

As if I needed a blood pressure spike before my discharge physical tomrorrow… :banghead:

Ummm… one priest??? Does it have to be O’Brien???

abcnews.go.com/2020/Resurrection/story?id=745521&page=1

you know they will attack the reality of the literal ressurection of christ.

I wouldnt watch it . abc is such a liberal organization.

The way I look at it either there going to tell us something we already know , or there going to attack the ressurection.

waste of an hour of your life if you ask me. the ressurection is to be firmly believed , not to be disputed or pondered. unless of course you want to provide a door for satan to crush your faith like a fly.

Rev. Richard P. McBrien
Crowley-O’Brien Professor of Roman Catholic Theology, University of Notre Dame
McBrien’s books include “Catholicism, Lives of the Popes,” and he is the general editor of the HarperCollins “Catholic Encyclopedia.”

“If they had digital cameras in those days, and they took … tried to take a photo of Jesus, you know, ‘Get over there with Peter … would you stand with Mary Magdalene? This would make a great shot. I mean, no one will ever believe this.’ You take a photo of that scene and you’d get Peter and Mary Magdalene, but not Jesus.”

Ok…right there we have Fr. McBrien publically denying the physical bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. I’m not Catholic so I’m going to need some help with this. Why is this man not excommunicated? St. Paul made it very clear that if Christ had not risen we are still dead in our sins. Yet this McBrien has just publically denied the most essential doctrine of all of Christianity. If he cannot be censured for this, who can be? Does he still serve in a pastoral capacity? Does he teach at a Catholic University? Is Pope Benedict aware of this man and what he teaches? Talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Elizabeth Vargas of 20/20 was on Bill O’Reilly last night and it seems like our side will get it’s say to counter the skeptics.

She did say that there is no disagreement among different scholars that SOMETHING extraordinary happened to the apostles who had previously deserted Jesus. (I used this argument in a college test paper once but the secular Professor shot me down big time…ouch, that hurt and I thought I presented a good theory!)

[quote=dirtydog]Ummm… one priest??? Does it have to be O’Brien???

abcnews.go.com/2020/Resurrection/story?id=745521&page=1
[/quote]

Actually, there are two Catholics and they both seem a little shaky, to say the least.

Why can’t the networks put some substance on the air, like:
http://www.saintjoe.com/images/productimages/large/8509.jpg

Resurrection Apologetics by Ken Hensley

Peace in Christ…Salmon

[quote=Uranage]Rev. Richard P. McBrien
McBrien’s books include “Catholicism, Lives of the Popes,” and he is the general editor of the HarperCollins “Catholic Encyclopedia.”

“If they had digital cameras in those days, and they took … tried to take a photo of Jesus, you know, ‘Get over there with Peter … would you stand with Mary Magdalene? This would make a great shot. I mean, no one will ever believe this.’ You take a photo of that scene and you’d get Peter and Mary Magdalene, but not Jesus.”

Ok…right there we have Fr. McBrien publically denying the physical bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. I’m not Catholic so I’m going to need some help with this. Why is this man not excommunicated? St. Paul made it very clear that if Christ had not risen we are still dead in our sins. Yet this McBrien has just publically denied the most essential doctrine of all of Christianity. If he cannot be censured for this, who can be? Does he still serve in a pastoral capacity? Does he teach at a Catholic University? Is Pope Benedict aware of this man and what he teaches? Talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing

[/quote]

I’m not defending McBrien, but it is possible this quote is taken out of context. I have a hard time believing the audacity of the man, but on something as fundamental as denying the resurrection, I suggest taking a wait and see attitude.

[quote=Uranage]Rev. Richard P. McBrien

Ok…right there we have Fr. McBrien publically denying the physical bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. I’m not Catholic so I’m going to need some help with this. Why is this man not excommunicated? St. Paul made it very clear that if Christ had not risen we are still dead in our sins. Yet this McBrien has just publically denied the most essential doctrine of all of Christianity. If he cannot be censured for this, who can be? Does he still serve in a pastoral capacity? Does he teach at a Catholic University? Is Pope Benedict aware of this man and what he teaches? Talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing.
[/quote]

As I’ve stated many many times.
Idiocy is non-denominational, and crosses over to individuals on both sides of the Prot/Cath isles.

[quote=OFTHEANGELS]you know they will attack the reality of the literal ressurection of christ.

I wouldnt watch it . abc is such a liberal organization.
[/quote]

I think we shouldn’t give in. We need to watch it and protest if the orthodox Catholic viewpoint is not represented well.

[quote=OFTHEANGELS]The way I look at it either there going to tell us something we already know , or there going to attack the ressurection.
[/quote]

It’s not what we know but how the show will mislead others.

[quote=OFTHEANGELS]waste of an hour of your life if you ask me. the ressurection is to be firmly believed , not to be disputed or pondered. unless of course you want to provide a door for satan to crush your faith like a fly.
[/quote]

If you have Tivo, cut out the commercials. The program will be over in less than and hour and you won’t be supporting their sponsors.

the whole point of the program is to shake peoples faith in the ressurection, dont you people get that???

I am actually looking foward to watching this special. Nothing I love more than on a Friday night sitting at home, watching tv, getting so angry that I yell obscenities at the tv. Hmm, sounds a lot like football season is here again. But seriously, when I saw the commercial for this special I figured that Father Richard Mcbrien and John Henry Spong would be on it. I am surprised ABC couldn’t also convince John Dominic Crosnan and Elaine Pagels to come out of the sewers to join the other Jesus Seminar idiots on the show. This is just par for the course. Go figure that this is the same network that brought us such a hard hitting story about a year ago that proved Dan Brown has a grip on reality with his literary masterpiece “The DaVinci Code”.

Maybe some day the Bishop in South Bend will decide that we really don’t need heretic priests such as Father McBrien. Until that day, at least we don’t have to guess what he will say.

[quote=OFTHEANGELS]the whole point of the program is to shake peoples faith in the ressurection, dont you people get that???
[/quote]

Ummm… - what is your point??? Given your username, I would tend to assume you would not doubt said resurrection.

The show is scheduled to feature William Lane Craig. He is a leading scholar/debater/expert on the Resurrection, and he is AMAZING. Earlier this year, I attended a 3-day seminar by him on the topic of the Resurrection, and he was terrific! His arguments for a historical and actual bodily resurrection are quite powerful.

At the seminar, Craig showed a debate (on DVD) he had with an atheist named Gerd Ludemann. (It’s also revisited in a book called Jesus’ Resurrection: Fact or Figment? The debate took place at Boston College in 1997.) Craig (a fundamentalist, not a Catholic) absolutely steamrolled his opponent, and that’s putting it politely. As we watched the debate, we couldn’t help but chuckle at Ludemann and the ineptness of his responses. Craig was very sharp and strong in his presentation.

I logged on to the forum tonight to let everyone know about this show, and I’m glad someone beat me to it!!

I’m not looking forward to Bishop Spong (ugh), but I think it will be fair, even though it’s on a major TV network. (I could be wrong on this. I hope I’m not.)

I totally understand people’s trepidation that this could be a hatchet job designed to attack Christianity.

The question is though, how much time will ABC give Craig as opposed to Bishop Spong and the Jesus Seminar? Knowing ABC, I doubt the presentation will be balanced.

[quote=infoguy]…

I totally understand people’s trepidation that this could be a hatchet job designed to attack Christianity.

[/quote]

Yeah if it’s anything like CNN’s special “The Two Mary’s”, I doubt I’m going to leave satisfied. I will, however, leave with a smile on my face because Christ is Risen no matter what 20/20 says. And yes I agree on the sentiments regarding “Bishop” Spong. He’s bad enough on Beliefnet.

I wouldn’t call Spong a Bishop. For one, he was Episcopalian, not Catholic. He is hardly worthy of the title Bishop. And anyway, he is no longer a bishop in the Episcopalian Church. The man is a heretic in every sense of the word. :eek:

I think we would all agree, if people really want to know the standpoint of the Catholic Church’s teaching on Jesus Christ’s Resurrection pick up the Catechism and the Bible.

I take every TV documentary with a grain of salt… Anybody can spin or be a sheep in wolves clothing. It’s time for people to pick up a book and read… No harm in that is it America?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.