Abortion Addict Confesses 15 Procedures in 16 Years

Irene Vilar worries that her self-described “abortion addiction” will be misunderstood, twisted by the pro-life movement to deny women the right to choose.

Her book, “Impossible Motherhood,” which will be released by Other Press on Oct. 6, chronicles her own dark choices: 15 abortions in 16 years, much of it as a married woman.

As press on the book has begun to leak out, Vilar – a literary agent and editor — says she has already sensed “an inkling of hatred.”

Vilar has scheduled only closed-door interviews and will not do a book tour. At the urging of her husband, they have made sure all public property records do not reflect her name, so she cannot be targeted at their home.

“I am worried about my safety and the hate mail,” she told ABCNews.com in a telephone interview as her home-schooled children were at work on a painting project.

“No book like this has ever been written,” she told ABCNews.com. “I just imagine the ‘baby killer’ and I could be a poster child for that kind of fundamentalism. And there are my little kids in all of that.”

Read an excerpt from “Impossible Motherhood.” - http://www.otherpress.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781590513200&view=excerpt.

Today, at 40, the Latina author has two young children, but her troubled past continues to haunt her well into motherhood.

She grew up in the shadow of her notorious grandmother Puerto Rican nationalist Lolita Lebron, who stormed the Capitol steps with a gun in 1954. Lebron served 25 years in jail for the crime until receiving a pardon from President Carter in 1979.

Her mother committed suicide by throwing herself from a moving car when Vilar was 8 and two of her brothers were heroin addicts.

**Mass Sterilization in Puerto Rico

Vilar’s story is set against the backdrop of the American-led mass sterilization program in her native Puerto Rico from 1955 to 1969, a fitting symbol for her struggle with her own reproduction.

By 1974, 37 percent of all Puerto Rican women of childbearing age had been permanently sterilized in that experiment.

“Women tend to repeat behaviors,” Vilar said of herself. Her mother’s forced hysterectomy without hormone treatment at the age of 33, led to depression and a Valium addition.

Vilar attended boarding school in New Hampshire and was just 15 when she left for Syracuse University, where she fell in love and later married her first husband, a tyrannical 50-year-old professor.

With a predilection for young women, he bragged that his relationships had never lasted more than five years and that having children killed sexual desire.

She says their emotionally dependent relationship was riddled with shame, self-mutilation and several suicide attempts.

Continues: abcnews.go.com/Health/ReproductiveHealth/abortion-addict-admits-multiple-abortions-suicide-attempts/story?id=8594347

I feel sorry for her, as it appears she suffered (suffers?) from some sort of mental disorder. I am also saddened by the loss of the 15 children she aborted. From the excerpt, it doesn’t sound like she thinks about those children at all, or has any remorse…unless I missed something in the article. :frowning:

Of course, the article states…

Her story is a reminder that more needs to be done to educate women about the proper use of birth control and providing better access, according to Dr. Lauren Streicher, clinical assistant professor at the Northwestern University School of Medicine.

No comment about the fact that abstaining from sex may be a better way to prevent pregnancy/abortion. Sex without consequences…that is what our society is all about.

Mass Sterilization in Puerto Rico? I am young, 25…can anyone fill me in on the history of this?
It was American experimentations??? Did I read this correctly?

Where do medical ethics fit into the equation here? Did she go to 15 different doctors? Isn’t prior medical history, including previous abortions, required before a doctor will operate on you? I’m just sort of stunned at a medical establishment that would allow a woman to have 15 abortions. Shouldn’t someone have stepped in after, I don’t know, the tenth abortion and said that this woman needs some help? Would a doctor be allowed to refuse to perform an abortion on a woman if he found out it was her fifteenth? I’m just flabbergasted by the whole story.

This saddens me as a Catholic and as a Puerto Rican. I do not know what happened to us. Popular media has shown a very sour picture of us as a people. There are so many positives that I remember from my youth and much of that has been forgotten. Thankfully, I have faith and with every Mass I continue to remember that I am a child of God before anything.

What, you’ve never heard of a serial murderer before? It appears to be the same warped psychological profile. Especially the “I’m a product of my environment” instead of any acceptance of personal responsibility.

What a very sad women, and she keeps hurting herself and those God has given to her. She needs prayers. And her husband adding to her hurt. Her own words show the pain that she is in. I will most definitely pray for her and her lost children, along with the poor children that are with her now. They most be feeling very confused.

I guess i should know better, but this story makes me angry.
Angry for couples that struggle to have just one blessing from God.
Angry for my own parents who would have loved a house full of kids, but could only have 2.

15 “procedures” in 16 years. culture of death is too real.:frowning:

that is so sad! :frowning: Lord have mercy…

I’m a good deal older than you are have not heard of it either. A quick internet search didn’t bring up anything satisfactory. Maybe someone else has more information?

STERILIZATION OF PUERTO RICAN WOMEN: A Selected, Partially Annotated Bibliography

By Florita Z. Louis de Malave

May, 1999

**The colonial legacy of controlling women’s sexuality and reproduction continues to prevail with such policies as the testing of the I.U.D., birth control pills and the sterilization of women. In the case of sterilization, the subject of this bibliography, between the 1930s and the 1970s approximately one-third of Puerto Rico’s female population of childbearing age had undergone the operation, the highest rate in the world. So common was the practice that the words “sterilization” and “la operacion” (the operation) were used interchangeably. The massive sterilization of Puerto Rican females warrants that their experience be brought to the forefront, and there’s the hope that this bibliography will stimulates interest and further research in the subject. **

[LEFT]
womenst.library.wisc.edu/bibliogs/puerwom.htm[/LEFT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.