Abortion and breast cancer

I have heard it said on multiple shows of Catholic Answers Live and read on Pro Life websites that abortion (and the Pill) increase the risk of breast cancer. Browsing about, I was led to the Wikipedia article on abortion which has a section about this. It reads:

Some purported risks of abortion are promoted primarily by anti-abortion groups, but lack scientific support. For example, the question of a link between induced abortion and breast cancer has been investigated extensively. Major medical and scientific bodies (including the World Health Organization, the US National Cancer Institute, the American Cancer Society, the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) have concluded that abortion does not cause breast cancer, although such a link continues to be promoted by anti-abortion groups.

The studies mentioned are all linked there. Since these names are really big ones, and they have concluded abortion does not further the risk of breast cancer, how come many Pro Lifers still make this claim? Is there any good reason? :shrug:

Interesting because just last week an article posted on Lifesight News,profiled a Asian Dr/ researcher who in fact stated that abortion and breast cancer are linked.The risk goes up with each abortion a woman has.The incident of breast caner has increased among women in China due to their forced abortion policies.
I stopped contributing to Susan G Koman after it was revealed that they are big supporters of Planned Parenthood,largest abortion provider in this country.:(:mad:

The Chinese study has come under question. There is an unbelievable amount of pollution in China. Pollution has to be eliminated as a factor, before the study would be taken seriously.

Although, in May 2013, a study was published in *Indian Journal of Community Medicine *showing a three-fold increase in aborting women. A similar study from Bangladesh, published in April 2013 in Journal of Dhaka Medical College shows a 20-fold increase.

As to believing anything on Wikipedia, anyone can enter information, and call it a “fact”, which leads me to take anything I read on Wikipedia with a grain of salt.

It is to create fear in a woman that is considering an abortion. This is a common tactic with all political groups.

Politics and science don’t mix. Or rather when they do we need to be wary of the results, especially when it involves issues that are emotionally charged and generate a lot of press.

That’s why I tend to be skeptical about studies of politically and emotionally charged issues, no matter how impressive anyone seems to make the evidence to scientific laymen. From the conceptualization of studies, through their methods, to the interpretation of data and presentation of conclusions to both the scientific community and the public, there is too much pressure to reach the desired results for the sake of one’s career and of the causes one believes in.

This goes for both sides of any charged issue like this, including global warming, the causes and reversibility of homosexuality, and the health affects of abortion or contraception on women. Not that these aren’t important subjects to study, but from where most of us are sitting there is just too much riding on these studies coming up with the desired results to really trust the factual scientific claims of either side of the issue, including the good side I’m afraid.

Sheeezzz! those pesky pro-lifers. They will do anything to save a life. :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542212/Mother-shares-heartbreaking-photos-baby-miscarried-19-weeks.html

Pictures of this lovely baby born at 19 weeks.

We abort babies older than this.

Is there a link between abortion and cancer? I don’t know for sure.

But there is a link between abortion and murder and the commandments of God.

But why, then, do these illustrious institutions conclude there is no link? I must say I find it hard to believe some Indian doctor over the WHO or the Royal Society.

About Wikipedia, I know. I don’t trust it simply because Wikipedia says something. Lots on there is wrong and biased. But these things are supported by the references to the studies on the bottom.

:slight_smile:

Yes, but I don’t want this to be a thread about the moral status of abortion. I am Pro Life, absolutely.

I’m a bit fuzzy, and I’m no doctor. It was explained to me that the growth of cells in the breasts during pregnancy is unnaturally cut-off when an abortion is procured; and that this differs from a naturally occurring miscarriage. So the way I understand it is that the cells start developing, and have nowhere to go? Don’t know about the studies, but this makes a lot of biological sense to me.

You might like looking at this site, if you haven’t already. I linked to a page showing the organizations that do believe there’s a link.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.