Abortion approved for 11 yo - Romania

msnbc.msn.com/id/25393910

:mad:

:crying:

You know… my ten year old is very mature. But her body could not handle pregnancy and birth. Cesareans are major surgery that grown women have trouble recovering from.

I am pro-life but still not sure how I feel about this case. I mean, couldn’t it irreparably harm this girl to go through this at her age?

BTW, I hope in Romania, they will castrate her uncle when they find him… :mad:

I’d say unless the pregnacy is a serious health risk for the girl, she should not have the abortion. Its not the baby’s fault, or the mother’s of course. But its not like she’ll have to take care of the child herself.
That child could still have a long and full life filled with enough goodness to counteract the evils that led to his or her conception.

[quote=duskyjewel]BTW, I hope in Romania, they will castrate her uncle when they find him…
[/quote]

Eek…I’ll probably agree…though since I’m a guy I wince at the word “castrate”

Hi Dusky

This child is already 21 weeks pregnant. An abortion will not be more safe or less traumatic at this point. The poor little girl will still have to deliver the child, but with the abortion the difference is the child will be dead. She could be monitored and then give birth earlier than 40 weeks.

By having an abortion I think this little girl will be victimized further…the abortion won’t make the rape go away.

They didn’t do a D&C?

I just don’t get how an 11 year old can safely deliver vaginally, and I would imagine a c-section would be too traumatic on her body.

I spent about a year at a Women’s Shelter as a worker. The youngest mom I saw there was 12. Sad, but, the baby was healthy and fine.

This poor girl and baby will go through hell for the sins of some man. I pray he is prosecuted.

C-section is of course major surgery, but so are all kinds of surgeries that children have to go through for one reason or another (tumors, heart problems, etc.), and they usually make it. Why would this be any different? Yes it would be major surgery and by no means is abortion the better choice. Surgery on the girl, or killing the baby. Obviously the surgery is the less harmful choice.

If the baby is aborted, this poor girl will now not only be physically harmed but also forever emotionally scarred knowing her baby was murdered in her own womb. :crying:

As Silent No More says, “Abortion didn’t solve my problems, it just created new ones.”

At this point, it makes more sense to have her wait a few weeks and deliver early.

Poor baby! Poor girl!

I hope they go after this uncle:mad:

How DARE he!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[quote=CatholicSam;3859037 Yes it would be major surgery and by no means is abortion the better choice. Surgery on the girl, or killing the baby. Obviously the surgery is the less harmful choice.
]

From a medical standpoint I’m not sure that’s true. A c-section involves slicing like seven layers of flesh, months of recovery, and can hinder future pregnancies. I’m a grown women facing the prospect of one, and it terrifies me. I just can’t imagine an 11 year old undergoing one. I don’t see a vaginal delivery being any easier in this case. I understand the moral implications of the abortion, but I just can’t wrap my head around the trauma of a child giving birth. Nothing can unrape her, but childbirth with her young body just seems torturous.
[/quote]

An abortion on a 21 week fetus is more complicated than a D and C. Later abortions sometimes take a few days. The cervix is first dilated by inserting sticks that absorb water and swell, (which can take a few days) then the fetus is removed by various methods. It isn’t an easy or safe procedure. At 21 weeks the baby is past the halfway mark for gestation. At 24 weeks the baby can survive.

By the way, my son had to be hospitalized at a children’s hospital. The security guard told us about a 12 year old girl, who came in with her mom. The girl was complaining of stomach pains…and it turned out she was in active labor and they rushed her to labor and delivery.

To give this 11 year old an abortion is not necessary, and will not remove or alleviate the pain of the rape. Even if she needs to have an early induction to give birth, at least the baby can live.

I’ve personally seen two 11 yr olds give birth one vaginally and one was an emergency C section. I was in OB my OB clinical rotation at a county hospital in IL.

What a disgusting situation this is. And how disgusting that anyone would feel abortion is a better option.

Castration for the uncle seems quite a light consequence to me…

Yeah I agree really this situation sucks though no matter what you do the girl will suffer more in some way.

If you’re a man…yes…then its serious enough…
The very thought of it makes me shudder…:eek:
I may understand why women would underestimate the fear of such a punishment…but as a man, I’d not want to wish that upon very many people…

I had a friend in 6th grade, we were 11 almost 12 when she had her first baby. She had him vaginally and he is perfectly healthy, and being raised by the mother now (we are 26). I don’t see her anymore, she had moved but I do run into her occasionally. She has like 4 kids now.

I’m not saying it’s a good situation, but having that baby is safer than killing it! Morally and physically imnsho.

POOR BABY>

If the baby is aborted, this poor girl will now not only be physically harmed but also forever emotionally scarred knowing her baby was murdered in her own womb.

Eh, no. There is no reason to belive that this girl would be “forever emotionally scarred” because of having an abortion. Lots of women have had them and gone on to live perfectly pleasant lives free of any supposed mental anguish. It amazes me that grown adults think it is somehow better to force this poor girl who has already been victimized into carrying the product of a rape for another 3 months and then go through a birthing process that her young body is ill-equipped to carry than to let her have the abortion and move on with her life. Thank God that Roe v Wade made sure than this would not be an issue in this country, at least.

Let me guess Cafeteria Catholic?

yeah…anyways

Is it better to prevent that child from living life simply because his biological father was a rapist?
No. The sins of the father are not the sins of the son…or daughter…
We’ve already established these facts:

1. The girl’s body can definitely take it.
  2. The girl doesn’t even have to raise the child.
  3. The child should not have to suffer for the mistakes of his father.
  4. Aborting babies in any circumstance (save for when the lives of the mother and child are threatened) is 100% against Church teachings. infallible Church teachings. If you reject that, you are committing a mortal sin and must not go to communion tomorrow.

Let’s establish a new fact right now.
ALL of the women I know who have had abortions are emotionally scarred. In fact, one such woman (My great aunt) bought a handgun and shot herself in the head due to mental issues (that included the abortions)
Yeah, it definitely effects the woman. And it’ll effect this girl even worse because she is immature and far along in the pregnancy.

It isn’t the product of a rape. It’s a baby. Her own child. Another child who deserves to be allowed to live. What value for the life of the unborn, for human life, do you have that you think one child ought to DIE in a way that will be traumatic to the mother but MIGHT be less traumatic than letting it live? At 21 weeks already she is going to deliver a baby one way or the other whether she or anyone else wants to or not. It’s just a matter of how at this point and whether they are both allowed to live.

Let me guess Cafeteria Catholic?

Name calling is against forum rules; I have reported you.

We’ve already established these facts:

1. The girl’s body can definitely take it.

No, we have not established this as a fact. No poster here has examined this child; a few have cited cases where children have had succesful pregnancies, but since we are not talking about any of those aforementioned cases, the point is moot.

1. The girl doesn’t even have to raise the child.

But she still has to endure the remainder of the pregnancy and the delivery.

1. The child should not have to suffer for the mistakes of his father.

Right. The child should not have to suffer. This eleven year old girl should not be forced to carry a pregnancy to term because of any outsider’s beliefs.

1. Aborting babies in any circumstance (save for when the lives of the mother and child are threatened) is 100% against Church teachings. infallible Church teachings. If you reject that, you are committing a mortal sin and must not go to communion tomorrow.

Eh hem. Aborting foetuses is absolutely not allowed under any circumstance according to the Catholic Church, save for instances when double effect is at play. Maybe you would like to clarify your own theological misunderstandings before correcting mine.

Let’s establish a new fact right now.
ALL of the women I know who have had abortions are emotionally scarred

And? How many do you know? Three, ten, five hundred? Even if you knew a thousand you still would not know a significant enough number of women who have mental issues directly related to abortion to even be statistically significant.

In fact, one such woman (My great aunt) bought a handgun and shot herself in the head due to mental issues (that included the abortions)

Again…and? More anecdotal evidence which does very little to support your case.

Yeah, it definitely effects the woman. And it’ll effect this girl even worse because she is immature and far along in the pregnancy.

You don’t know that. You may hold that opinion, but it doesn’t make it fact. There is no reliable way to tell if this girl will be mentally affected by abortion. Statistically speaking, the odds are in her favour.

It isn’t the product of a rape. It’s a baby.

It is the product of a rape and a foetus both.

What value for the life of the unborn, for human life, do you have that you think one child ought to DIE in a way that will be traumatic to the mother but MIGHT be less traumatic than letting it live?

Wait… you just said it was a baby… now it’s a child? It’s aged very quickly in just a few sentences. :rolleyes: The foetus is dependent on this eleven year old; it is not living- not a sentient being. An abortion may or may not be traumatic to this girl; we don’t know. But it is her choice to make.

You dare call yourself a Catholic? :mad:

Be glad you’re not within arms reach… :knight2:

deep breath

His comment upset me more than it should have. :blush:
I will say a prayer for you Pong; you need it.

The link isn’t working for me, but I think castration is a little… severe, unless perhaps he’s raped someone before (speaking from a guy’s perspective: NOT something to be done lightly).

All we can do is keep them in our prayers; even the uncle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.