Abortion Argument with mother - how to reconcile?

This morning, my mother (non-Catholic) and I got involved in an argument. It started out with her making derogatory comments about the Duggar family then segwayed into an argument about abortion. During this dispute, I said that she didn’t care about children, because she was indifferent to the fact that some unborn children were being brutally killed in the womb. She has volunteered a lot with disadvantaged children, so I found her pro-abortion stance to be morally inconsistant. Naturally she was deeply offended and is angry with me. I want to reconcile, but I don’t know how. I can’t really say that I’m sorry because it still seems like she has an incosistant stance when it comes to children that are in the womb and those that are out of the womb. What should I do?

Reconcile with her. You may have meant that her actions are inconsistant, but I’m sure you truly do not mean that she does not care about children. You took the debate to a personal and emotional level - never a good tactic. Stick with the facts, and you will be able to debate this without being personal. Take her completely out of the conversation, and just talk about the facts. She can fit herself into the context of the discussion, you do not need to do that for her.

She’s your mom. Tell her you are sorry, that you did not mean to hurt her, but that you would still like to continue your discussion at another time on less personal grounds.

~Liza

Is your mother a professing Christian?

No. I think she’s agnostic.

If you google around a bit, you should be able to find a group called “Athiests for Life”, this group has ideas from a non-Christian, non-Religious viewpoint. A second group that might boost your skills would be Feminists For Life.

My mother lives with me and my family (spouse and children). She knows I am radically pro-life and I know that she has had two abortions which she claims not to regret. We do not talk about the issue. I put it in God’s hands to change and heal her heart. She knows the facts, but there’s more to changing people’s minds than presenting the facts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.