Abortion as Art? I'm speechless

This has to be a hoax.

For senior, abortion a medium for art, political discourse

yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24513

Well i wouldn’t be surprised if it were not a hoax, these sickos are capable of any perversion, including pedophilia, infacticide and muder of the handicapped and elderly.

I thought it was a senior citizen doing an art project. It is a senior apparently at Yale art school. How disturbing. It seems she used sperm donors and then aborted her children.

Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself “as often as possible” while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages.
The “fabricators,” or donors, of the sperm were not paid for their services, but Shvarts required them to periodically take tests for sexually transmitted diseases. She said she was not concerned about any medical effects the forced miscarriages may have had on her body. The abortifacient drugs she took were legal and herbal, she said, and she did not feel the need to consult a doctor about her repeated miscarriages.

Shvarts declined to specify the number of sperm donors she used, as well as the number of times she inseminated herself…

Schvarts will then project recorded videos onto the four sides of the cube. These videos, captured on a VHS camcorder, will show her experiencing miscarriages in her bathrooom tub, she said. Similar videos will be projected onto the walls of the room…
The official reception for the Undergraduate Senior Art Show will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on April 25. The exhibition will be on public display from April 22 to May 1.

I can understand a (quite probably certifiably insane) young woman doing this for confused reasons: warped ethics, suicidal tendencies, sheer ignorance of biology, lust for fame or notoriety, demonic possession… What I can’t understand is why the Yale administration would let this horror be presented in an art gallery. Now, I am loathe to resort to argumentum-ad-hitlerum, but this stunt recalls to my mind nothing so much as the Nazi lampshade made from human flesh at the Buchenwald concentration camp. After all, if anything is art, then that lampshade is art, right? Meanwhile, I pray for the souls of Ms. Shvarts, and her Yale collaborators.

So to answer the popular debate question: is it art? Yes, I suppose it is. But now we must accept that not all art is good, that art can be evil. Travesties like this make me wonder if the Iconoclasts weren’t correct to expansively interpret the third commandment: “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.” Exodus 20:4

This can’t be real. How about the legal issues? Students are under the legal protection of colleges, more so in the Ivy League. She would sue them out of existence if she had health complications and they didn’t stop her. It’s a hoax. They have a legal responsibility to report and respond to medical and mental health issues among the students. They know that.

This has got to be some sort of satire. I can’t imagine the Yale professors being so open to future law suits when this young woman finally faces the physical harm that she is doing to herself.

The comments follow this story seem to take it seriously, though.

If this is real-and I have serous doubts- then the article should be sent to the young lady’s parents. I would guess that they would have something to say about their daughter’s use of the money that they pay for tuition.

Trying to deduce for myself is this was true, I came across this article that stated:

The official reception for the Undergraduate Senior Art Show will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on April 25. The exhibition will be on public display from April 22 to May 1. The art exhibition is set to premiere alongside the projects of other art seniors this Tuesday, April 22 at the gallery of Holcombe T. Green Jr. Hall on Chapel Street.

orthodoxytoday.org/blog/2008/04/17/for-senior-abortion-a-medium-for-art-political-discourse/

More thoughts…

1. Does Yale philanthropist and trustee, Mr. Holcombe T. Green, Jr. (of Forbes’ 400-wealthiest Americans list), realize his nice new art gallery has become a charnel house?

2. The Yale administration is at least 50% responsible for this grotesque abomination – they should be helping this poor young woman find healing, not enabling her dysfunction.

3. As is typical with the abortion topic, this article uses quite a few euphemisms. An induced-abortion is called a “miscarriage”, fathers are called “donors”, conception is called “insemination”. The babies blood is never mentioned at all, only Ms. Shvarts’ blood.

4. Were I another senior-class artist at Yale, I would absolutely refuse to have my art displayed alongside this horror show. And should that mean failing to graduate, the administration would be hearing from my lawyers.

5. All of them desperately need our prayers. Specifically: Aliza Shvarts, the mother who killed her children for art’s sake. Juan Castillo, her classmate who was “intrigued” by and “thrilled” by and “loved” Ms. Shvarts’ work (one wonders if he is a father of one or more of the sacrificed babies). Pia Lindman, her senior-project “advisor”, who should have stopped this outrage, but presumably encouraged it. Mr. Holcombe Green, Jr., who ought to have some power to prevent the building with his name on it being abused in this way. And finally, all the children who were so needlessly sacrificed at Yale, nameless and numberless. Pray for them that our Lord might open their hearts, bring healing to their suffering souls, and bring good out of this terrible evil.

i am really in shock after reading this article on the yale website.

this is hurtful to all women and mocks human life at all stages.

btw–the huffington post is covering it now (which shows it is being picked up on all sides, not just pro-life & why i posted it) and offers some more on the artist who it seems is a real person not satire
huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/17/yale-student-artificially_n_97194.html

i pray for her soul and for all souls in this world :crossrc:

the story is really starting to be picked up all across the net quickly and people are digging more into it. i pray it will lead to a change at yale and in our larger culture :crossrc:

I’m still hoping this is some kind of hoax but it does not appear so. What a sick, depraved world we live in. When man turns his back on God, there is no limit to the evil man can commit.

I can’t imagine this woman’s fate.

If she eventually realizes what she has done, even if she repents, it will drive her mad.

If she never realizes, and never repents, her fate in the next world is unimaginable.

Shocking.

God Bless

A Yale student who claims she artificially inseminated herself “as often as possible” and then took drugs to induce miscarriages for her senior art project says she will showcase the stomach-turning display next week — complete with her own blood samples and videos from the terminated possible pregnancies.

The story of art major Aliza Shvarts’ upcoming exhibit, which the Yale Daily News broke Thursday, has sparked widespread disgust and outrage.

“It’s clearly depraved. I think the poor woman has got some major mental problems,” said National Right to Life Committee President Wanda Franz. “She’s a serial killer. This is just a horrible thought.”

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351608,00.html

It’s a hoax:

“Ms. Shvarts is engaged in performance art,” a Yale spokeswoman, Helaine Klasky, said. “She stated to three senior Yale University officials today, including two deans, that she did not impregnate herself and that she did not induce any miscarriages. The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman’s body.”

Ms. Klasky went on to suggest that Yale would not have permitted a project of the sort described in the student newspaper. “Had these acts been real, they would have violated basic ethical standards and raised serious mental and physical health concerns.”

nysun.com/news/national/yale-students-art-project-creative-fiction

I thank God it was a hoax, if indeed it was a hoax, and she is not merely lying to get out of the trouble she is in. Even as a hoax it is a supremely offensive act, and she should be given an ‘F’ grade for the class. Yet, what leaves me saddened is the number of people who defended her actions (see the aforementioned Huffington-post thread for numerous examples).

I am so very glad that this isn’t true. However, I am still sickened that anyone would consider this hoax “performance art.” What a sad society we live in.

I figured it was performance art. Bad performance art. And yet… there were some who defended the idea. So it’s not really impossible that it could happen. Well, I guess we’d better keep praying for her generation and the schools they go to.

Yale University, in its official statement, seems to support Aliza Shvarts.

[quote=Yale]She is an artist and has the right to express herself through performance art.
[/quote]

yale.edu/opa/
Apparently Yale draws the line of acceptability as running between deception and actually doing doing the deed.

[quote=Yale]Had these acts been real, they would have violated basic ethical standards and raised serious mental and physical health concerns.
[/quote]

This is disgusting! What would the world think if one of the Rwanda killers said they mad an art piece of their killings to show the rights of the Hutu’s to choose if the Tutsi should live in their county. And than say he was just doing a performing arts to show the world that would be his choice. All with the air of there was nothing wrong with what he was proposing. My heart breaks for those who think like this.

I don’t understand what is running through these peoples minds.

Even though this is a hoax, it disturbs me that someone would even want to think of putting on a show of such things.

If anyone deserves to go to HELL, it is most definitley this woman and her supporters.

No, they deserve (and need) our prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.