Abortion battle on health bill may end

Abortion battle on health bill may end: Prospects are good for resolving a dispute over abortion that has led some House Democrats to threaten to withhold support of President Obama’s health-care overhaul, a key Michigan Democrat said Monday.

Rep. Bart Stupak said he expects to resume talks with House leaders this week in a quest for wording that would impose no new limits on abortion rights but also would not allow use of federal money for the procedure.

“I’m more optimistic than I was a week ago,” Stupak said between meetings with constituents in his northern Michigan district. “The president says he doesn’t want to expand or restrict current law (on abortion). Neither do I.”

Stupak has emerged as spokesman for about a dozen House Democrats who supported health legislation approved by the House in November but contend a $1 trillion version that passed the Senate would authorize federal abortion subsidies. They insist on restoring stiffer restrictions Stupak added to the House measure.

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2011292533_health08.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.