Abortion/birth control

Does anyone know the first mention of abortion or birth control being a sin

What do you mean? Like in all if salvation history? In the church?

I’d go with the 5th commandment…

Abortion - Somewhere between the 16th and 13th centuries BC

Exodus 20:13

13 “You shall not kill.

Birth Control

Genesis 38:8-10

8 Then Judah said to Onan, “Go in to your brother’s wife, and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.” 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother’s wife he spilled the semen on the ground, lest he should give offspring to his brother. 10 And what he did was displeasing in the sight of the Lord, and he slew him also.

I am sorry I should have been clearer. The Didache is an early document, some say the 1st century, that states abortion and bc are against the teachings of Christ. I was wondering of there is another document that also talks about abortion and bc either before or after the Didache. If not I will be very please to roll with the Didache.:slight_smile:

As noted, the Old Testament teaches against murder and artificial contraception. Certainly Christ, His Apostles, and the New Testament authors, contemporaneous with the Didache, believed the same.

Nobody, absolutely nobody, claimed before the 20th Century that the abortion of children and artificial contraception could be compatible with Christianity.

Read about the Church of England’s 1930 Lambeth Conference:
ewtn.com/library/PROLENC/ENCYC098.HTM

Thank you Paula from Idaho this is an excellent read.

Abortion is most likely a sin because it is a form of taking the life of an innocent. Children are blessings coming from our creator so it should be accepted by us no matter what.

“Paula from Idaho”? :rotfl:

Not funny… not funny at all.
As a native and resident of the gem state I couldn’t be more outraged!
:wink:

There is, of course, the 5th Commandment.

However, abortion is specifically mentioned in the Didache (The Lord’s Teaching Through the Twelve Apostles to the Nations.) likely written between 50 AD to 100 AD. It could be considered the first catechism and the Didache is referred to by the Catholic Church in the footnotes of the CCC.

The complete Didache in this link: earlychristianwritings.com/text/didache-roberts.html

Below the part specifically referring to abortion.

Chapter 2. The Second Commandment: Grave Sin Forbidden. And the second commandment of the Teaching; You shall not commit murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not commit pederasty, you shall not commit fornication, you shall not steal, you shall not practice magic, you shall not practice witchcraft,** you shall not murder a child by abortion nor kill that which is born.** You shall not covet the things of your neighbor, you shall not swear, you shall not bear false witness, you shall not speak evil, you shall bear no grudge. You shall not be double-minded nor double-tongued, for to be double-tongued is a snare of death. Your speech shall not be false, nor empty, but fulfilled by deed. You shall not be covetous, nor rapacious, nor a hypocrite, nor evil disposed, nor haughty. You shall not take evil counsel against your neighbor. You shall not hate any man; but some you shall reprove, and concerning some you shall pray, and some you shall love more than your own life.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer. However, Hoosier daddy and chatter I am not understanding the comedy. Please explain because I take abortion/bc seriously and would like clarification on the humor.

I apologize—I knew it was one of those “I” states. Thank you Paula from Iowa.

First mention of abortion is the Didache.

Augustine makes mention of contraception (apparently the Manicheans practised the ‘rhythm method’ as contraception), and he condemns it.

The story of Onan in the Old Testament (traditional interpreted as pertaining to the evil of onanism) more clearly pertains to contraceptive practices.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.