Abortion Doctor Murdered

WICHITA, Kan. (May 31) - Dr. George Tiller, who remained one of the nation’s few providers of late-term abortions through decades of protests and attacks, was shot and killed Sunday in a church where he was serving as an usher and his wife was in the choir.

news.aol.com/article/abortion-doctor-killed/505406

That is very sad.

It has been discussed here since this morning: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=342931

~Liza

Oh, my bad. Thanks for Link, Liz

Definitely.

Let’s all pray for George Tiller, his murderer, and their respective families.

On a side note, I wonder whether any pro-choice groups will try to capitalize on the last sentence of Troy Newman’s statement (to the tune of “abortion-is-a-religious question” or “freedom of religion means freedom to have abortions”):

Operation Rescue in Wichita was quick to condemn the killing. The anti-abortion organization has been one of the fiercest critics of Tiller’s late-term abortions.

“We are shocked at this morning’s disturbing news that Mr. Tiller was gunned down,” said Troy Newman, the group’s president. “Operation Rescue has worked for years through peaceful, legal means, and through the proper channels to see him brought to justice. We denounce vigilantism and the cowardly act that took place this morning. We pray for Mr. Tiller’s family that they will find comfort and healing that can only be found in Jesus Christ.”

(Don’t get me wrong, I agree that true comfort and healing that can only be found in Christ; but I’m not sure that was the appropriate time and place to say so.)

Call me cruel, mean, or whatever you want, but in my opinion he got what he deserved. He engaged in murder on a daily basis, and we all reap what we sow. It’s not so much that he performed abortions in the past, but he continually did it knowing that he was killing children and he had NO remorse for it. And for people he went to church with to call him a good Christian man is just insane! Sorry, but he got what he deserved.

Then you have condemned yourself. I don’t call you mean or cruel, but I do call you morally responsible for the death of this man. All those who publically in any way call what he did “murder” bear that onus now. For he did not murder. Murder is a term that is legal in nature, it means unlawful killing of another human being. You may say that it should be murder, but it is not as of now. When you use such words as “murder” inappropriately like this, your rhetoric is heard by both the sane and the insane, by both the mentally stable and unstable.

Some of the latter, hearing your words, take it upon themselves to be God’s “actor” and correct the “wrong” This is why so many of the anti-choice groups are trying to distance themselves from the actor here. They don’t want the onus to rub off on them. But of course, it is too late for that. Now some, actually hope that such people will do this, and they are expecially reprehensible. But when you give credence and rightness to outright murder, then you are morally as guilty.

It is perfectly right and honorable to oppose abortion. Frankly everyone does and would be happy for any solution that avoids it. But to inject inflammatory rhetoric into the mix brings on the kind of violence that we have now witnessed. This will harm the anti-choice movement and they well know this.

To say that he got what he deserves means you think that you can step in and speak for God.

Yes, but it’s rather absurd for you to try to condemn everyone who says “George Tiller was guilty of murder”. Saying that someone is guilty of murder isn’t at all the same as hoping that he himself will be murdered.

P.S. I’ve noticed, reading posts on the internet about Tiller’s murder, that some of them give the impression that it’s tragic only because of the detrimental effect on the pro-life movement. I don’t think the posters in question intend to sound like that, but they do.

Murder is horrible no matter who the victim or culprit is, or his motive.

I still haven’t heard any evidence that the motive has been definitively connected to his choice of occupation though.

I do not intend to defend the murder of Tiller. My heart goes out to his family and I pray that God show mercy on him. That said the man was a murderer plain and simple. He had yet to be fond guilty in a court of law of it. He preformed late term abortion which are illegal therefore it falls under the definition of murder.

I do agree with you are inflammatory language need be avoided, at the same time it can not be sugar coated what Mr. Tiller and other like him are doing and that is murder (be it legal or not) of the most innocent.

The first thing that came to my mind is I hope he asked God for forgiveness before he died. Then I thought when are people going to learn you don’t give causes you oppose a martyr.

I also agree with you that one deserves to be shot down in cold blood. He did not get what he deserved. no one deserves that.

What s/he said!!!

I don’t get what you are saying. Are they not pre-born human beings? Or is it just not murder because ending their life is not against the law? If that’s the case…

Did the guards in Nazi Germany commit murder when the stuffed the Jews into the ovens?

Did the slave owners commit murder when they whipped their negro slaves to death?

When a black man whistled at a white woman and was later hung, despite the fact that an all-white jury found the perpetrators innocent, was that black man murdered?

When a young Muslim girl is beaten to death by her brother to protect her family’s name after being caught speaking a boy, is that not murder?

I thnk Tiller’s in Hell myself. He was quite prepared to accept Christ’s sacrifice on the cross for his own sake, but didn’t show one ounce of mercy to the children he killed. And these were children who could have been delivered by caeserian surgery and lived, in a lot of cases.

To be honest, I think his punishment will be worse than that of an atheist in the same position. I had the experience of my father turning up the night he died, he apologised, we argued and conversed, and at the end he gave the most terrifying scream I’ve ever seen, then disappeared. His main sin, as far as I know, was cruelty to his own family. Tiller was quite happily engaging in the wilful destruction of human life.

That doesn’t excuse the murderer. But I remember my old Protestant pastor’s comments at one stage, “I think they (Catholics) soft-pedal judgment”. I think we’re going to find the judgment pretty tough when we get there ourselves.

In what revision of the ten commandments did “Thou shalt not kill” become “Thou may kill abortion doctors only”?

I have as much sympathy for him as I do for serial killers who are murdered in jail.

Was it wrong. Yes. Would I shed one tear?

No.

nevermind

I am saddened by the murder of George Tiller. It is my sincere hope that abortionsists repent before they die, as other noted abortionists and abortion activists have done.

Since this was posted in the non-Catholic religions section, I will add that I was also saddened to read that George Tiller served as an usher at Lutheran services. My husband is a former Lutheran, and I have Lutheran family members. I know many, many wonderful Lutherans–and I’m really sad to read that George Tiller attended Lutheran services while remaining an abortionist. I would hope that a relationship with Jesus Christ through his Protestant denomination might have changed Tiller’s heart about abortion.

May the Lord have mercy on his soul and on the souls of the ministers who served him and allowed him to serve at his place of worship.

amen

On the news tonight they were discussing the fact that Tiller the Killer slayed over 60,000 babies in his 35 year career of death. This is holocaust, pure and simple. I put him in the same category as Himmler, Goebbels, Mengela, and Hitler, a man of holocaust. His murder was against the law and morally wrong but I view Tiller as a Nazi commander at Sobibor or Auschwitz. Not much sympathy here. 60,000 babies, unconscionable. Sickening. Evil.

While I admire the sentiment, this is a case of the old saying, “wish in one hand…” This man was pure evil and was put on trial for illegal abortions. He aborted babies past 21 and 22 weeks of development! Truly evil. Holocaust, pure and simple. And Sebelius, Obama’s recent cabinet choice, donated money to Tiller the Killer and supported his ‘work.’ Scary revelations. But watch the liberal loons come out en mass feeling more sorry for this murderer than the poor little children whose lives he robbed. If any of these folks could have sat in on these heinous abortions they would feel differently But we as a culture sanatize abortion and act like this guy burned off warts or performed apendectomies or something. I don’t condone his slaying but I won’t lose sleep over it tonight.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.