Abortion incidence statistics

I have often heard the statistic that 1/3 of pregnancies end in abortion. I wanted to see where those statistics came from.

I found one study that describes data as such:

The national legal induced abortion ratio increased from 196 per 1,000 live births in 1973 (the first year that 52 areas reported) to 358 per 1,000 live births in 1979 and remained nearly stable through 1981 (Figure 1) (Table 2). The ratio peaked at 364 per 1,000 live births in 1984 and since then has shown a nearly steady decline. In 2000, the abortion ratio was 245 per 1,000 live births in 49 reporting areas and 246 for the same 48 reporting areas available for 1999. This represents a 3.8% decrease from 1999 (256 per 1,000 live births) for the 48 reporting areas

It appears to me that the statitistic of 1/3 of pregancies would come from the 1984 statistic of 364 per 1000 live births. However, it would be important in this case to also account for natural pregnancy loss (e.g. miscarriage, stillbirth). At a maximum, I would characterize the %of pregnancies ending in abortion as such:

Abortion rate = (364 Abortions) / (364 Abortions + 1000 Live Births + X Miscarriages + Y Stillborn births)

In which case, if we assume that X and Y are zero, which they’re not, the maximum fraction of pregnancies ending in abortion would be (occurring in 1984):
(364)/(364+1000+0+0) = 26.6% (approximately 1 in 4)

Using recent statistics, the rate of pregnancy loss is derived as such:
4,058,000 live births
1,995,840 pregnancy losses
=492 pregnancy losses/1000 live birth.

That would bring the 1984 statistic to
(364)/(364+1000+492) = 19.6% (approximately 1 in 5)

Recent data (from the study cited above) indicates that the 2000 rate of abortion is 246/1000 live births. Given constant pregnancy loss rates, that implies that the year 2000 fraction of pregnancies ending in abortion is:

246/(246+1000+492) = 14.2% (approximately 1 in 7).

That’s nevertheless unacceptable. However, I think that in order to be credible, pro-life groups need to use the latest statistical data.

My little back-of-the-envelope statistics certainly are rough, but it seems to me that the 1/3 statistic needs to be updated.

I knew there were “millions” of abortions, but I’ve never seen it put this way before.

1 in 3 or 1 in 4 just seems to hit home harder.

Whether it’s 364 per 1,000 live births or 245 per 1000 live births, it’s either a ridiculous loss of human life or a ridiculous loss of human life.

It makes we want to cry.

Something tells me Sodom got off easy compared to what’s headed our way.

“Oh my Jesus, forgive us our sin, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to heaven especially those in most need of thy mercy."

Chuck

Sadly, I think it’s under reported. I think the Federation of Abortion Providers, along with the CDC, which provide this information just do not want us to know how many abortions happen.

God have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Yes, but isn’t it our responsibility to be honest about factual claims, no matter the cause in which they are employed?

If you want to get technical it’sprobably more considering all the chemical abortions caused by the pill.

Sure wish I could remember where I found it, but in Googling around for abortion statistics in the U.S. awhile back (notoriously hard to pin down for some reason) I found a clearinghouse (pro-abortion) which pegged the rate at somewhere between 20 and 25% relative to live births

That’s actually a good point. And probably more difficult to gauge than surgical abortions. RU-486 can be taken whether or not conception has occurred, so it’s hard to say what percentage of that pill’s administrations result in the expulsion of a fertilized egg.

As to general “birth control” type pills, that’s even more tricky. In the absence of “the pill,” it’s likely that sexual behaviors would be different. I would see the non-pharmaceutical options as (1) sex with no barrier and no pill; (2) sex with barrier and no pill; (3) abstinence from sex.

Also, I think it’s difficult to assert that sexual activity with artificial prophylaxis ends a pregnancy, so I would find it hard to include that in an abortion rate. The analyses alone would be largely speculative as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.