Abortion question

My friend (youngest child in her family) told me that she was actually supposed to have a younger brother or sister and that her mom had to have an abortion because the child was highly likely to kill her.

In this case, is it still a sin to abort and should she have taken the risk or is it justifiable?

[quote="kriselle, post:1, topic:230314"]
My friend (youngest child in her family) told me that she was actually supposed to have a younger brother or sister and that her mom had to have an abortion because the child was highly likely to kill her.

In this case, is it still a sin to abort and should she have taken the risk or is it justifiable?

[/quote]

Yes, it is still a serious sin. In no case is a deliberate abortion is justifiable (it is always murder). While I understand the desperate circumstances, your friend's mother really needs to ask God for His forgiveness (if she is Catholic, that would need to take place through confession).

An abortion is a mortal sin. It is the killing of a child. I am very thankful my mother did not abort me even though I was a risk to her health. My 9 children are thankful as well.

Leave the judgement of the mother’s sin to God. He knows what happened, He knows the mental state of the mother at the time and any sorrow she may feel.

• CCC 2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:

You shall not kill the embryo by abortion and shall not cause the newborn to perish.

God, the Lord of life, has entrusted to men the noble mission of safeguarding life, and men must carry it out in a manner worthy of themselves. Life must be protected with the utmost care from the moment of conception: abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. *

Technically, there is an exception for certain pregnancies. Where neither mother or child is expected to survive. There is dispensation in saving the mother. Here’s a post.
Technically, this is not an abortion. It is possible and it is not a sin. There is not enough information here to determine the type of pregnancy this may represent.

However, there are cases where exactly what is described happened and the mother did die. As strange as it may sound for this generation, we (in this case, the mother) may be called to die for those we love (the baby). While the risk to the life of the mother may be greatly reduced these days, not even such a high risk is justification for the abortion of a baby.

Would a mother die to save her child? Would a father? What loving person would not? I would not discuss this further with your friend unless she seems upset or is trying to justify something else about it. I don’t even know if the parents are Catholic. Doctors, (even Catholic ones) can give good medical advice but bad moral advice. As a father of three live children and two lost to miscarriages, I can assure you what ever happened back then was not taken lightly and scars remain from “what might have been.”

It is always wrong to have an abortion. In the cases of ectopic pregnancy where the baby implants outside the uterus, the tube may be removed which kills the baby however the intention is to save the life of the woman by removing the tube which will rupture and kill both the mother and baby--so at least one life is saved. This is the only circumstance I know of where the indirect death of the baby is allowed. Directly killing a baby is never moral.

If this was the case, your friend is misinformed. Her mother did not have an abortion. She had an ectopic pregnancy where the baby cannot survive so every attempt is made to save the mother.

KG

=kriselle;7593090]My friend (youngest child in her family) told me that she was actually supposed to have a younger brother or sister and that her mom had to have an abortion because the child was highly likely to kill her.

The Hard answer is YES---- MAYBE...... God alone can make the call.

With the Dr. being aware that a serious effort MUST be made to safe BOTH; and the proceedures end GOAL was inteneded NOT to KILL the baby; but to save the mother...
It would be likely be permisible.

A VERY FINE LINE... relying heavely on intent of ALL involved....

The parents [PLURAL] ought to discuss the issue with there Confessor; if for no-othr reason thn "peace of mind."

God Bless,
Pat

I think your friend probably should have kept this information to herself and she should ask her mother to clarify the situation, if she has questions.

To me, her mother shared information with her that does not help her in any way, nor does it help you. This is troubling and you don’t know the circumstances, and it’s likely that she doesn’t know either. Are they Catholic?

yes they are catholic :)

and it was apparently pretty bad and both of them (the mother and baby) would most likely have died.

personally i believe that she was right in telling her daughter (my friend) about this as i would have wanted to know if it was my mom :)
This doesnt change my or my friend's opinion of her mom but when she told me i knew it was a sin to abort but wasnt sure about the circumstances. so thank you everyone :thumbsup:

• Kriselle

[quote="kevinsgirl, post:5, topic:230314"]
It is always wrong to have an abortion. In the cases of ectopic pregnancy where the baby implants outside the uterus, the tube may be removed which kills the baby however the intention is to save the life of the woman by removing the tube which will rupture and kill both the mother and baby--so at least one life is saved. This is the only circumstance I know of where the indirect death of the baby is allowed. Directly killing a baby is never moral.

If this was the case, your friend is misinformed. Her mother did not have an abortion. She had an ectopic pregnancy where the baby cannot survive so every attempt is made to save the mother.

KG

[/quote]

Thank you sooo much. I had a feeling it wouldn't count as an abortion :dancing:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.