Abortion rate in England and Wales hits five-year high

The number of abortions carried out in England and Wales last year was the highest in five years, driven by growing numbers of women in their 30s and 40s who are terminating a pregnancy, official figures show.

More women are having multiple abortions, according to the annual statistics released by the Department of Health. Almost four in 10 terminations are now carried out on women who have undergone the procedure before. Fifty women had each had eight terminations, the figures revealed.

In all, 185,824 abortions were carried out on women and girls in England and Wales last year. That was 1,253 (0.7%) more than the 184,571 performed in 2014, and the largest number since the 189,931 carried out in 2011.

theguardian.com/world/2016/may/17/abortion-rate-england-and-wales-five-year-high

The figures provide further evidence that abortions are becoming less common among women under 30 and more so among women aged 30 and over.

Why a shift towards older women in relationships? Something is amiss if this many older women are have unwanted pregnancies.

Something is amiss period. With the availability of contraception and so-called sex education, unwanted pregnancies should not happen because after all that is the excuse for such enlightened social policies.

Bingo. You don’t suppose our enlightenment has been exaggerated, oversold, do you?

If I may be so bold, I believe the claim is that we aren’t using contraception effectively, or that we need to work on 100% effective contraception. In other words, we haven’t tried the idea hard enough. In all fairness, that’s what I would think if I believed in it. Or perhaps that this is an acceptable price for sexual freedom. There was a study that just came out saying that in America, abortions are lower than they have been.

But, it just doesn’t seem very “free” to me.

I agree that the pursuit of the perfect contraception is not very free any way you slice it. The battle I think in the end is internal rather than the failings of science, but that is a pretty Catholic argument as you point out, with very very limited appeal.

Sometimes I think the US has a slight advantage over Europe (and much of the rest of the world) in that the social conservative “abortion is killing a fetus” movement has not been completely silenced as “extremist” in mainstream society. We can still raise a public fuss on the issue. This forces people to question the ethics of abortion no matter how well-adjusted and post-Christian they aspire to be.

One issue is that all methods (including nfp) have to be followed very specifically to work as advertised. For example, barriers must be put on in a specific way, never exposed to oil, and must avoid heat or the risk of failure increases. The pill has it’s own caveats, and nfp forces some to avoid when desire is greatest in addition to ambiguous readings.

But what I was getting at is why are a growing portion of the abortions happening to 30+ women who are married or in relationships? Why is the consequence an abortion vs raising the child, especially for the married.

[quote=From the article]3,213 abortions last year were approved because the foetus had a medical condition. In almost half of these cases it was a congenital malformation, for example of the nervous or cardiovascular system, and in 689 cases the foetus was found to have Down’s syndrome.
[/quote]

How very sad. :frowning:

I don’t know. I don’t have much speculation about this.

Why older women are having more abortions: it’s just another form of contraception

catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2016/05/20/why-older-women-are-having-more-abortions-its-just-another-form-of-contraception/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.