"Abortion Should Remain Legal" says Prominent 'Conservative' Frank Schaeffer

*January 13, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) – One of the US’s most prominent Evangelical writers and conservative speakers has compromised on his pro-life position in the face of the election of Barack Obama to the presidency and has said that abortion should remain legal. Frank Schaeffer told an interviewer that he believes that thirty years of attempts to overturn the US Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade have failed and that the “black and white” pro-life position is counterproductive.

Schaeffer, an author, speaker and screenwriter, is the son of the great protestant theologian Francis Schaeffer, the man who is credited as a major theological inspiration for the conservative Christian political movement, including the US pro-life movement.

Schaeffer told the interviewer that although he still believes that abortion is the unjust killing of an innocent human being, he now believes that, “If we’re going to reduce the number of abortions that happen in this country, we’ve got to recognise the failure of thirty years of effort” to overturn Roe v. Wade.

“There’s a very big difference between bedrock moral belief and tactics,” he said. Pro-life advocates have a choice between “railing against” the election of Obama or “working with an administration that has clearly stated in its position paper that it would like to see the number of abortions reduced. But it’s not going to be done by overturning Roe v. Wade.”

“When I say that I think abortion should remain legal, what I mean is that the tactic of putting all this energy into overturning Roe, is, I think, just whistling in the dark.”

“There’s been a lot of simplistic thinking on this,” Schaeffer said. “The time has come to really understand that that part of an absolute black and white position is not going to happen.” *

Go to the following link for the rest of the piece:

lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jan/09011302.html

The law has not be changed significantly so the answer is to ignore this critical aspect? The answer is to accept the strange mantra of we want less but we want it legal?

The answer is to support pro abort pols and their deceptions?

I wonder if we would still have slavery if people in the 1860s gave up like that?

Schaeffer has recently published the book, “Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back”…

Doesn’t the title of his book say it all? The man has lost faith that God can do what seems impossible for man. Sad, isn’t it?

Isn’t it amazing that now that we are within one SC court vote…

Yes–suddenly everyone is jumping on the “oh, forget about overturning Roe” bandwagon!

Yes, that is how things seem right now. Again, I wonder if we would still have slavery if people just gave up?

Schaeffer hasn’t been conservative for a long time; he converted to Eastern Orthodoxy many years ago but seems to have gone off the rails from that as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.