Abortion Stats -- WOW

I had no idea it was this bad.

Nearly half of pregnancies among American women are unintended, and four in 10 of these are terminated by abortion. Twenty-two percent of all pregnancies (excluding miscarriages) end in abortion.
• In 2005, 1.21 million abortions were performed, down from 1.31 million in 2000. From 1973 through 2005, more than 45 million legal abortions occurred.
• Each year, about two out of every 100 women aged 15–44 have an abortion; 47% of them have had at least one previous abortion.

guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

That is very very sad. Maybe it is easy for me to be pro-life as I am a male, yet that is just sad. That is more than all the americans killed in all the wars ever. There are more deaths from abortion than all the wars in the world combined, I’d guess. About 20 million russians died in WWII.

It is just jaw-dropping. I didn’t realize it was this big.

This is not just a Christian problem, this is a social problem… I’d even consider it a crisis. Very sad. All those children that never got a chance, they all could have changed the world… they were never able to be.

Very sad.

The fact that they would use the term unintended pregnancy bothers me.

If you have sexual relations then you would just expect it to be a possibility.

It’s like saying “oops, I did not intend to do a reproductive act.”

I almost think what is sadder is this statistic:

• The abortion rate among women living below the federal poverty level ($9,570 for a single woman with no children) is more than four times that of women above 300% of the poverty level (44 vs. 10 abortions per 1,000 women).

I think as Catholics we not only have to say we’re pro-life but we have to address why abortion is an attractive option to some people. It doesn’t do any good if we condemn abortion without addressing the root of the problem.

I don’t know what the root is - fear? Fear of not being able to provide?

I used to volunteer at a Catholic crisis pregnancy center. If our clients could prove need (food stamps, WIC etc) we gave them maternity clothes, baby clothes, diapers, strollers, cribs etc. I loved the nights when we sent a woman home w/ everything she needed for her baby :thumbsup: .

Those are sad statistics indeed. I wouldn’t say though that being male would make it any less difficult for you to be pro-life. I would think the horror of having an abortion would make most women pro-life. Some of the women who I know who have had abortions have had them at the insistance of boyfriends or husband.

I was in an abusive marriage, but that is the one thing I never gave in to my husband on.

So, even though you are a guy…good for you for being pro-life.

The root in my mind is simply the poverty. And what you’re doing at your pregnancy center is a great start, and that’s the beginning of what we need to do, but babies grow up and unfortunately the support for these women have to continue on past simply saving their babies. We have to have to social structure in place that will educate these women because many aren’t educated, we have to provide for her while she gets a job, we have to demand that the fathers of these babies, who are far too often absent, stand up and pay, we have to make sure that our support doesn’t just end with saving the baby. Because for many, that’s not the real issue. It isn’t that many of these woman loathe their babies, probably far from it. It’s that long term they see no way to survive. We have to change the mindset of many who sit around and talk about the “poor black welfare mother with 6 kids”. We can’t talk about saving babies without talking about saving the futures of the mothers too.

I’m not talking about the women who use abortion as birth control, that’s another issue entirely, I’m just talking about the correlation between poverty and abortion.

It just makes me sad that we as a society, one of the richest on this earth, can’t make it so no one has to make that decision.

and I think these are reasons that many give for being pro-choice. I think many in the pro-choice camps would gladly wish there were no abortions. It isn’t that anyone thinks abortion is wonderful. Its that many feel we are leaving people with no other options. :frowning:

Heh, starting to take heat on it on a myspace blog post too.

I am not one to back down from what I have to say, no matter who disagrees. Yet, I will not insult or belittle the other person. I respect their opinion and thoughts, even if I greatly disagree. With so many people getting abortions, odds are I’ll hit someone that had one or someone that has a friend that had one.

Wow, those kid of places exist?! That sounds awesome!

I totally agree with you 100% there.

It’s much easier to worry about starving families far away on the guilt-trip commercials than in our own communities. With the unemployment only getting worse, it is even harder to support one’s family if you barely have any skills.

How would we help people to be skilled laborers and get an education? It’s hard to work with people that have no hope (I used to be there) and almost everyone they know has no future either. It’s a mindset and reality, and it isn’t fair. Especially when those with money and opportunity totally ignore you, passing judgement in the blink of an eye.

Just the reality of our communities is that many just get ignored and left behind. It’s hard to think life will be better for you and you can make something of yourself when no one believes in you and everyone is in the same boat as you. It is a struggle. For me, it all started with my mother believing in me and then a teacher in public school believing in me. Granted I was smarter than most kids, but still… that little bit helped me believe in myself when no one else did.

Yon female doctor.

From her home page:

Unprotected Now in Paperback
Our campuses are steeped in political correctnessthat’s hardly news to anyone. But no one realizes that radical social agendas have also taken over campus health and counseling centers, with dire consequences.

Psychiatrist Miriam Grossman knows this better than anyone. She has treated more than 2,000 students at one of America’s most prestigious universities, and she’s seen how the anything- goes, women-are-just-like-men, “safer-sex” agenda is actually making our sons and daughters sick.

Dr. Grossman takes issue with the experts who suggest that students’ problems can be solved with free condoms and Zoloft. What campus counselors and health providers must do, she argues, is tell uncomfortable, politically incorrect truths, especially to young patients in their most vulnerable and confused moments. Instead of platitudes and misinformation, it’s time to offer them real protection. Read the reviews here.

And then, of course, there was an article about teenagers in Maine last year, but not very long ago.

the rates are also much higher among African Americans and Hispanics, according to the same reports. These percentages by the way are about the same as they were when I first got involved in pro-life work in the 80s and my reason for doing so remain the same: abortion is de facto genocide directed against the poor and persons of color. Telling a poor woman who can’t afford to support her baby, here, we will help, here is your referral to the abortuary, is hardly a “choice” it is a death sentence pronounced on an innocent person w/o due process. The direct violation of constitutional protections is my second reason for galvanizing from my previous “well I personally would not do it but I can’t dictate morality for others” sloppy thinking.

I agree with you.

The center had a chapel and religious pictures all around. The staff would have Mass periodically.

It wasn’t always happy; lots of girls chose abortion even after we spoke to them and offered them help and showed them pictures of what their babies looked like.

There were sad nights, too, but many girls kept their babies and came back for material help. I was great to be a part of.

I honestly think it would be even more appalling if it were women above the poverty line having the most abortions because it would mean that it was taken as a casual decision by women who could support a child. I think if adoption is presented as an option to women who don’t have the resources to support a baby(and it does take a lot of resources), abortion will become less common.

I agree. It would be sadder.

I think the biggest drawback to adoption (if you want to call this a drawback) is that the woman still has to bear the stigma of having and giving up a child. In our society that has never been looked on as a favorable thing. Face it , the woman has to carry the baby to term, endure questions from everyone around her and then give up the baby whereas an abortion can be over and done with in a weekend. We need to make sure that society doesn’t look down on these women for giving her baby for adoption. Look at how we talk about it - “giving up” the baby. Not really a favorable option for a lot of people

It is such a complex issue.

Imagine how easy adoption would be if all those babies wouldn’t have been aborted!

I agree. It’s sad that there is still a stigma attached. I wish society would realize that women usually give their children up for adoption out of love.

I once heard a theory that abortion clinics were purposely placed in poverty, low income, and minority areas so that they are more easily accesible, and that the abortion clinics are being used (as a type of hallocaust) to rid the world of these populations. Not sure if this is true, or who decides where to put an abortion clinic,

I believe that this could be true. very sad…

also here is a prayer with which you can “spiritually adopt a baby”

Dear Jesus, child of Mary, I love you and thank you for your unconditional love. I plead with you to save the life of ______ and _______, the unborn children whom we have spiritually adopted and whose lives are threatened by abortion. May these children be allowed to grow in wisdom, age and strength in your presence and in the sight of all. Amen"

(some people chose to “name” their baby…thats what the blanks are for)

p.s. you are supposed to pray the prayer every day for nine months

But there is good news.

People among my generation (18 - 25) are becoming more and more pro-life. I was reading about it on a website which quoted these young people as saying that they realise that it could’ve been them that was aborted, and therefore reject the lies of the abortionists. The ugly truth about abortion is coming out now and the number of abortions is declining.

There is hope after all.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.