Abortion

Interview Questions (Catholic)

Hi all, I am a high school student and I desperately need a catholic to answer these questions it would really be appreciated.

1. What is the Catholic Churches official view on abortion?
  2. Are there any exceptions to these views approved by the Church?
  3. Where do these views come from, what are the teachings these views are based upon?
  4. Where do these views appear in the Bible or other writings recognised by the Catholic Church if at all?
  5. Are there any recognised ethical frameworks that you know of that the Church recognises such as the Natural Law Theory by St. Thomas Aquinas?
  6. Do you think abortion is a Human rights issue or a Women’s rights issue, or both?
  7. Do you think abortion being made illegal would be a good or bad thing, and why do you feel this way?
  8. How do you/ the Catholic Church regard those who are pro-choice?
  9. How does the Catholic Church view woman, who have had an abortion in the past, what are the consequences if any?
  10. How is a Priest etc. taught to counsel women who have either had an abortion or are considering having an abortion?
  11. Do you think that the lack of feminist power in the Catholic Church is a reason for why they hold the views that they do?
  12. Have the official views on abortion of the Church changed over time, if so, how and when?
  13. Are the current views on abortion consistent among followers of the Catholic Church, if not what other views are held?
  14. What are the basis of these diverging views, if any?
  15. Is there any other valuable information regarding abortion from a Catholic standpoint that you think I should consider?

More to follow later.

do we not have stickies on this forum or other links on this website for such information ?

We’ll be doing his homework for him.

:rolleyes:

It appears from your survey that part of what you’re supposed to do is to find the views of individual Catholics in addition to the teaching of the Catholic Church, so I’ve answered briefly what my opinions (as a Catholic) are. Most of the research questions (what writings, bible verses, etc) I mostly left to google.

**1. What is the Catholic Churches official view on abortion? **
'tis murder. Murder is bad.

2. Are there any exceptions to these views approved by the Church?
No. Murder is always bad.

3. Where do these views come from, what are the teachings these views are based upon?
They come, primarily, from the fact that murder is bad. The fact that it is murder and that murder is bad is a result of reason that is confirmed by Church teaching.

4. Where do these views appear in the Bible or other writings recognised by the Catholic Church if at all?
I think I’ll leave that to google.

5. Are there any recognised ethical frameworks that you know of that the Church recognises such as the Natural Law Theory by St. Thomas Aquinas?
Other than natural law, I am not aware of any such thing by name. You may want to google Catholic Bioethics for a summary of how such things are applied to this and related questions though.

6. Do you think abortion is a Human rights issue or a Women’s rights issue, or both?
Human rights, because humans have a right not to be murdered. Although you may be interested to know that in many places, people do sex selective abortion to try to avoid daughters.

7. Do you think abortion being made illegal would be a good or bad thing, and why do you feel this way?
Good, because murder is bad and ought to be illegal.

8. How do you/ the Catholic Church regard those who are pro-choice?
They’re wrong. Other than that, I have no broad opinion that I would apply to them as a group.

9. How does the Catholic Church view woman, who have had an abortion in the past, what are the consequences if any?
As a sinner, just like everyone else - which is to say, deserving of compassion and correction. I believe there is a canonical penalty, but I’ll leave that to google as well.

10. How is a Priest etc. taught to counsel women who have either had an abortion or are considering having an abortion?
Not a priest, don’t know.

11. Do you think that the lack of feminist power in the Catholic Church is a reason for why they hold the views that they do?
No. I think the fact that murder is bad is the reason that we hold the views that we do.

12. Have the official views on abortion of the Church changed over time, if so, how and when?
No. We’ve always been pretty clear that murder is bad. I believe there was some uncertainty among some people centuries ago about what was going on, but once the question was figured out it has remained so.

13. Are the current views on abortion consistent among followers of the Catholic Church, if not what other views are held?
Not entirely, there are Catholics who disagree with the Church. The Church thinks they’re wrong. I’m sure they can tell you what they think though.

14. What are the basis of these diverging views, if any?
Lack of understanding of what the Church is, together with some other things that probably vary person to person.

15. Is there any other valuable information regarding abortion from a Catholic standpoint that you think I should consider?
You may want to look up Catholic bioethics.

I think that’s the idea. I think it’s a social science course where he needs to survey people.

Aha. Well, good luck to him.

:slight_smile:

Iron Donkey’s whole post was very good, but I wanted to highlight my agreement with this answer.

As far as I can tell, pro-abortion people aren’t all that concerned with women, despite what they say. Not only do they not care about the women that never get to be born, but they are against increased standards of care at abortion clinics and against a woman making an informed decision by seeing an ultrasound. If that’s feminism, I don’t want any, thanks.

–Jen

P.S. In case you couldn’t tell by my name, I’m a woman.

Why Can’t We Love Them Both? -
(Questions and Answers About Abortion)

Confessions of an Abortionist

AbortionFacts.com

Pro-choice is the choice a woman wants to murder her unborn child who is denied choice and the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

I belong to Dr Gianna’s Assistants for Life (DGAL), and we have learned that the term “pro-choice” actually includes a choice to carry. However, that being said, the pro-aborts are not beating a cybertrail to our pro-life networks for women who choose to carry.

Hence the reason for the right to free speech in front of the clinics. One of our members hands out a pamphlet called “It’s Your Choice” which gives the particulars of what she carries within her.

The OP’s question dealt with the church’s teachings on abortion, but if we are going to discuss that, we also need to know that modern abortion legislation is also tied to the occult and is considered human sacrifice by them. Hence the absolute necessity of the church’s presence in these situations.

Here are our links:

Dr Gianna’s Assistants for Life: cloisters.tripod.com/drgiannasassistantsforlife/

Emerging religious community: cloisters.tripod.com/holyinnocents/

Contemplatives of Life: cloisters.tripod.com/contemplativesoflife/

Blessings,
Cloisters

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.