Abortions last resort for many ladies whose contraception fails

… Britain’s biggest abortion provider, the British Pregnancy Advisory Service, said that 66% of women who had terminated a pregnancy were using some form of contraception when they conceived.

mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/abortions-last-resort-many-ladies-3110130

I think just for the US, Guttmacher Institute said:

Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.[8]

guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3429402.html

It is sad that women value children so little that they must be prevented by any means, except for abstinence, of course. It follows from valuing self so little that they expect almost nothing from the men in their lives. Everyone loses.

Well, when you look at the use effectiveness rate of the various methods, it’s not surprising. I visiting a discussion board once (linked from Catholic Answers?) that focused on girls/women asking questions about birth control.

They had prescriptions but did not have a clue how to use the method they picked. That’s the fallacy of universal birth control availability in the Affordable Care Act. More people thinking they are protected having sex. It leads to more births, not fewer.

Having sex is the new normal behavior in the secular world. It replaces the old handshake upon meeting someone new. Grade schoolers are engaging in sexual activity as the new cool thing to do. No wonder self esteem is so low. I have a 22 year old granddaughter who has "fallen in love: approximately 20 times in the past year for varying .number of days. All involved sexual activity from the very first meeting. She is one very unhappy young woman. This is such a deep and pervasive problem. Culture war is on and the ways of the world are becoming increasingly evil. Normalizing ANY deviant behavior as “freedom”, the world belongs to the devil. Prayer and fasting are the most important tasks before us. Let’s pray for all young men and women’s conversion to the true love of Jesus Christ.:signofcross:

I believe that when hormonal methods are used exactly the way they are meant, they are indeed fairly effective. If they are effective, yet people still get abortions, it means they are not being used effectively; hence, we need more comprehensive sex-ed in the schools to highlight the importance of effective use.

It’s an argument we should be prepared for. How to answer?

Wrong, effective use should be the responsibility of the prescribing doctor. When I get a prescription, my doctor tells me if I should take it with food, water, or milk, that I should take it in the morning or evening, and avoid grapefruit, alcohol, or operating heavy machinery. “Health class” in school doesn’t teach kids how to take their antibiotics for effective use it shouldn’t be teaching kids how to effectively use essentially prescription drugs like it is their job. That is the job of a health professional, not a school or an educational professional.

Besides, you obviously didn’t read the original post, 13% of the pill users that got pregnant cited correct use… There is still pharmacological failure of the drugs. It does not always work, and is right there in the packet information, is at about 2%.

I would say a few things…

1. As the above poster has indicated, this is the role of a physician; not a high school teacher. Hormonal birth control is not without its potential side effects; any kind of medication should be take in consultation with a health professional.
    2)This assumes that teens and young adults are responsible enough to take the pill effectively and regularly (considering that proponents of extensive sexual education often argue that it isn’t realistic for teens to control their sexual urges, they should concede that this isn’t the case). All the book learning in the world can’t impart self control.
    3)There is still a failure rate with perfect use. This will inevitably lead to an abortion.
  2. Most individual won’t be paying attention in class anyways, so high school education may be ineffective even if taught well.

I did read the original post. 13% isn’t a high number. How do you answer people who think 13% effective use isn’t high? It means 87% weren’t using effectively. I volunteer at a crisis-pregnancy clinic. We have to be prepared for people to make this argument. Your point that this falls in the realm of the prescribing doctor is a good one. But as it is, sex-ed is really common, and I can see the argument made that “We’re covering how to use it, but not the importance of effective use enough. Let’s cite this study as evidence.”

I had “sex ed” in Health class. In health class, we talked about heart disease, and its risk factors, but we surely didn’t talk about all the medications used to treat it or the efficacy of said drugs. In fact at the time I had been tested for high cholesterol, and indeed had high number of 246. Which is very high in a girl of 17 who was a 3 sport athlete and whose parents were careful about what was eaten in the house because of my father’s high cholesterol. (My parents grind low fat meet for ground beef instead of buying already ground beef). It was purely genetic, but my health class did not talk about how grapefruit negatively effects cholesterol medicine. :shrug:
Then we talked about sex ed, and we learned all different ways to prevent pregnancy. I actually had a pretty good health class, which focused on the effectiveness rates (except that they put FAM.NFP in with the rhythm method. But they also said that high cholesterol was entirely controllable by lifestyle factors. :rolleyes: So they were a little out of date. We learned both the clinical trial failure rate and the typical user failure rate. (Condoms typical user failure rate is about 25%). But we did not learn how to effectively use contraception, just like we did not learn how to effectively use FAM or NFP. Such discussions are inappropriate for a health/sex-ed class. The problem is that teenagers, think things will never happen to them. So they don’t think the typical user failure rates will apply to them and no amount of “education” is going to change teenagers mentality that they are invincible.

Thanks! I think it’s important to highlight that people, especially when the easy route is taught as good and healthy, will take it. In high school, one of my friends argued at a school district’s council regarding the issue of sex-ed in schools. She made the following excellent point. “You don’t teach a child how to run with scissors, you teach them not to run with them at all.” This in response to all the adults there who said “kids are going to do it anyways.”

I went to a Catholic high-school. We had health class, but of course didn’t go into how to use contraceptive methods. We didn’t go into how to use NFP, either. (This kind of approach sends a lot of people up the wall.) However, I do think Catholic schools should do a better job of covering the differences between the two, especially from a woman’s health perspective.

So, the best answer is to keep proposing the goodness of chastity.

… Britain’s biggest abortion provider, the British Pregnancy Advisory Service, said that 66% of women who had terminated a pregnancy were using some form of contraception when they conceived.

That was the very reason given in Roe vs Wade for why they decided to make abortion legal. It was because of the pill.

Correct.

That’s right. This is the reason that abortion will never end unless contraception is stopped. The idea that one can engage in sex without responsibility will always leave abortion as the final defense against pregnancy.

Even if there was perfect use with all the contraception available, wouldn’t there still be huundreds of thousands, if not millions of pregnancies worldwide annually that would still result? Perfect use contraception use would still keep the abortion industry in business. Contraception is part of the culture of death.

Contraception shouldn’t be encouraged for another reason, the health concerns.

29 of 32 condoms tested had cancer causing chemicals:

dw.de/german-study-says-condoms-contain-cancer-causing-chemical/a-1220847

Researchers from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center published a study in the 2012 Journal of Cancer Research. They looked specifically at depo provera and found it doubles the risk of breast cancer:

cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2012/02/25/0008-5472.CAN-11-4064.abstract

I have read that Dep provera is used in chemical castration.

University of Washington researchers studied women in Africa and found that the use of depo provera doubled the transmission rates of HIV. 3 things were cited, hormonal contraceptives weaken the immune system and recur a woman’s ability to repel HIV infection, hormonal contraceptions cause vaginal lining to thin and develop tiny tears that increase exposure to HIV during sex, and women who are HIV positive and take hormonal contraceptives create more HIV virus making them more infectious:

hliamerica.org/truth-and-charity-forum/shouldn’t-“preventive-care”-prevent-diseases-instead-of-causing-them

Expert Notes ‘Alarming Data’ Connecting Hormonal Contraception and HIV Transmission

International agency for research on cancer classes the contraceptive pill as a class 1 carcinogen. Class 1 also has tobacco and asbestos

monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Preamble/Preamble-IntReport.pdf

Thanks for the links. You’re a stat warrior. :slight_smile: So, we keep the debate focused on:
[LIST=1]
*]The mentality of license that contraception encourages, which leads to, not discourages, reckless behavior
*]Even with effective use, it’s not perfect
*]Bad health effects
*]The mentality itself leads to seeing another human being as unwanted
[/LIST]

I think we have an uphill battle in trying to convince people it’s not good for their health!

There are two other things that should be added to the debate.

There is huge debate over whether contraception acts as an abortifacient.

And contraception implication in the increased divorce rate. In 1988, Robert T Michael wrote a research paper in which he claimed contraception use was a factor in the increasing divorce rate:

popline.org/node/357610

Dr Janet Smith wrote:

What about the other predictions of the secular world who thought contraception would be so great? What about this prediction that marriages would be better? I think, in some respects, marriages are better, but the divorce rate shows us that there are a lot of very bad marriages, or at least marriages that end because people think they are very bad. In fact, the divorce rate doubled between 1965 and 1975. The divorce rate had been sort-of sneaking up all century long until in the mid 1960’s it was at 25%, and then in 1975 it got up to 50%. And so in a short ten-year period, the divorce rate doubled. There’s a demographer at the University of Stanford named Robert Michael who was kind of intrigued by this, and he wondered why it was that the divorce rate doubled in a ten-year period. And he actually discovered that as the contraceptive pill became more and more available, that line was parallel to the divorce line. In about 1975-1976 when every woman who wanted access to the Pill had it, that’s when the divorce rate leveled off.

He says he can attribute 45% of this increase to increased use of contraceptives. His first observation is that the statistical data show that those who use contraceptives have fewer children and have them later in marriage. And his statistical data show that those who have the first baby in the first two years of marriage and another baby in the next couple years of marriage have a much longer lasting marriage than those who don’t. Now I’m sure everybody here in this room can tell me of someone they know who’s been married for twenty-five years with eight or ten kids who’s gotten divorced and it’s all very sad, but that’s the rarity. His data show that those who have babies sooner in marriage have a longer lasting marriage than those who do not.

janetsmith.excerptsofinri.com

There is also the idea that adultery (and divorce, somewhat) was kept in check in the past because if you fooled around, you could get pregnant. And that wasn’t good. So, once artificial birth control was approved by the Anglicans in the early part of the 20th century, it sort of went downhill from there. You could have an affair and be “protected”.

I’m not saying that was the Anglicans’ goal; it’s probably more of an unintended consequence.

About time someone pointed this out! If you could know how many Pill “successes” were due to abortifacient effects, subtract this number from those due to simple prevention of ovulation, then add the former number to the number of “visible” abortions by surgical or other means, you’d know the real facts of the matter.

In any case, the mentality that the ends justify the means - that recreational sex is more important than any pesky human lives that might get in the way or cast a damper on a person’s fun, is wrong, period. :frowning:

In my experience, the debate then turns into questions of ensoulment… Has anyone else had this experience?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.