About apparitions

Has a non-catholic ever had an apparition that has been approved by the catholic church. Is it even possible. Does the canon law say anything about this?

The Marian apparitions at Zeitoun (Egypt) were first recorded on the evening of April 2, 1968 when a Muslim bus mechanic named Farouk Mohammed Atwa, who worked across the street from the church of Saint Mary in Zeitoun, thought he saw a woman attempting suicide by jumping from the structure.
Two other Muslim men also noticed the white figure on the top of the church and the sighting was reported to the police. A crowd quickly gathered and the police attempted to disperse them. However, the crowds viewing the sighting saw it as a clear apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and so, the attempts by the police to disperse the crowd were unsuccessful. The visions continued for many months seen by peoples of all and no faiths.

Yes, Our Lady of Siluva in which Our Blessed Mother appeared to an entire protestant village. And yes it is an approved Marian Apparition by Pope Pius the VI in 1775. Our Lady of Siluva is actually considered the First Marian Apparition in Europe.

To very briefly summarize the apparition:
Siluva Lithuania was at one time a very fervent Catholic community before the Protestant reformation, then the reformation happened and the town government became Calvinist. In 1532 they confiscated all of the Catholic property, including the church which was confiscated and destroyed, the clergy were forced out of town, and the entire village converted to protestantism. And it stayed that way for 80 years.

80 years later in 1608 young Calvinist children were playing in a field where the Catholic church had once stood and saw a woman there weeping and holding her infant. Some children ran home to tell their parents what they saw, while others ran to their Calvinist pastor. Word quickly spread throughout the village of what the children saw and soon a group of village people including the calvinist pastor and children gathered in the field, at the place the children had their vision.

In the field, in the place where the old Catholic Church had stood, the people of the village gathered and together they began to hear weeping, and saw a woman holding her baby in intense grief.

‘The pastor, too, could do nothing but stare. The woman’s face was clouded in deep sorrow and her cheeks were bathed in bitter tears. Finally the pastor regained his composure and asked, “Why are you weeping?” In a voice filled with sorrowful emotion, she replied, “There was a time when my beloved Son was worshipped by my people on this very spot. But now they have given this sacred soil over to the plowman and the tiller and to the animals for grazing.” Without another word, she vanished’

Anyways, that vision spurned a very large mass conversion back to the Catholic Faith from Calvinism…It is said that “So complete was this return that a decade later, on the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, more than 11,000 people received Holy Communion during a mass offered at the scene of the apparitions”

Anyways, There is more to the story, If you want to read more about Our Lady of Siluva you can read more about her here
ourladyofsiluva.org/our_lady/
and here
marypages.com/LadyofSiluva.htm

Wow, thank you so much. Seek and you shall find is what just happened here. Have a great day!! A beautiful story. God can do anything. I am so happy that He loves His mother so much that He allows her to show us these visions or let’s us know about them.

Hello Millie.

Co-incidence NOT! I was down at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C. this past week end and happenstancely wandered into a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Siluva. It was very nice. What I learned is that siluva means pine cone and there are pine cones adorning the mosaics in the chapel and there is a beautiful statue of a woman holding her Child made by a Lithuanian. There is a long history of the place and part of the legend is that the church was confiscated by the Protestants and the deed to it buried and as a result of the apparition, the deed was found and the Church restored to its rightful owners and devotions to our Lady started there. There are other legends associated with this particular place of devotion most recently under the Communist regime, pilgrims would gather there to pray to the Queen of Heaven and the Communists kept bulldozing the site and then folks would return and erect crosses of all types and then they would be arrested and sent to Siberia to perish or killed outright and then the site would get bulldozed again and more crosses would get erected and so on and so forth. It became called the Hill of Crosses and St. John Paul II visited this place of sorrow and martyrdom in 1993. The chapel in D.C. was erected in honor of Our Lady of Siluva by the Lithuanian Catholics of America in 1966.

I didn’t learn why the pine cone is associated with this particular devotion but maybe someone else will post with some more information than what little I’ve added about it from my trip to Washington this past weekend. It really was a pretty chapel and I felt a little drawn to it.

Glenda

I just went to both the links about the place and neither of them mention the Martyrdoms and persecutions pilgrims to the site lived with and through during the Communist regime. I find that a little odd. If you look at the link in one of them that shows the actual chapel in D.C. you see the Alter and the many different Crosses in the mosaic underneath the Altar. These depict the Crosses those arrested, killed and sent to Siberia kept returning to the site after it was ruined by the Communists. Strange no mention is made of all this bloodshed by either site. Over the Altar is an arch and on it is written: “Mary console the children of a land sprinkled with blood and tears.” I wonder why no mention is made of this.

Glenda

Thank You Glenda, for showing me more of the history of this site. I was unaware of the persecution of the pilgrims by the communists.

I saw a documentary on this a couple of years ago. Very interesting indeed.

I am glad you asked this question. I had always figured that apparitions could occur for anyone, despite their faith. However, I never knew any of stories. By your questions others have shared these and now I know of apparitions I never heard of before. It is astonishing.

People should never underestimate the ways of God.

I firmly believe that not all the times God has allowed His Mother to be seen and heard by persons are recorded or made known. Some of the Saints were known to have had visions and visitations but not all that was done was made known either privately or publically. And I also believe that these unknown communications will not only continue, but will remain unknown. Only when God wills it are they made known. And that is as it should be.

Then there is also the never-ending stream of persons who have seen heard and spoken to the Blessed Mother, God Himself, various Saints and Prophets and well, they belong to the category of invasions of aliens to me.

Glenda

Apparitions are not something new in Catholicism. Many are recorded in scripture.

Jesus at the Transfiguration with Moses and Elijah, St. Pauls’ apparition of Jesus while on his way to Damascus, Peter’s apparition from heaven to allow the Gentiles into the Church by baptism.

What is most interesting about many recorded apparitions are those such as St. Stephen the first Christian Martyr recorded in the book of Acts.

Many heavenly visions are given to those like St. Stephen while under threat of death for their Christian faith or on their death beds. Who pause at a glimpse of heaven and proceed to give witness of their heavenly vision of grace before they are Martyred or meet death from their sick bed. St. Monica had a vision of such grace’s as many others have.

My fifteen year old cousin suffered from cancer, lost his strength to speak, eat or drink for a few weeks, yet when the priest came in to give him Viaticum, he mustered the strength to sit up on his own and receive the Holy Host, he laid himself back down slowly, closed his eyes, and everyone present saw him open his eyes wide open, as he laid there and suddenly with a quickness raised his torso in full strength, exclaimed with an excited and emotional voice and said, “look” as he found the strength to lift up his arm and pointed to the feet of his sick bed, “do you all see her, look, see how beautiful the blessed Mother is!!!”, he smiled, closed his eyes and laid himself slowly back down to rest and died.

Peace be with you

“Pray for the souls in purgatory” The Immaculate Conception

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.