About Bible

I know it’s a little foolish to ask the question here, But I am not Christian nor Catholic.
Do Christianism and Catholicism share one Bible. Or do they have different Bibles. If so, what’s the main difference between them.
Thank you for your answer

Hi,

Well I have both and the only difference I see is the seven books in the Old Testament that were added to the catholics and that were taken out of the protestants.

Other then that I dont see any differences.:shrug:

Catholics **are **Christians.

The Catholic bible contains 46 books in the OT and 27 in the NT. The canon has been closed since the 4th century when the books of the bible were defined in a Church council. Up unitl that time, some books were in dispute, and some that are not in the bible were thought to be scripture.

The Protestant bible contains 7 fewer books in the OT because the “reformers” removed them in the 1500s.

Indeed. The Catholic canon (which essentially means books of the Bible), was formulated in the year 382 A.D.

The reformation occurred beginning in the 16th century. And In fact the original “King James Bible” of 1611 (the first English Bible used by Protestants) included cross references to the 7 books that the Catholics still include. These 7 books are called the “Deutero-canon”, referring to a 2nd generation of Old Testament writings (Protestants call these 7 books “apocrypha”, meaning that they are not “Scripture”).

Here’s another Catholic’s defense of Protestant arguments against including these 7 books.

And throughout history, many Christians cited these books as Scripture. St. Thomas Aquinas, for example, who lived in the 13th century used these 7 books in his Scriptural commentary. This particular link shows him referencing the Book of Wisdom, which is one of the 7. Scroll down to his analysis paragraph 199. I picked him at random just to show that these books were known as Scripture prior to the Protestant reformation centuries later.

As to how the 7 books were eventually removed from Protestant Bibles, I recommend Gary Michuta’s exhaustive book published earlier this year Why Catholic Bibles are Bigger. Especially look at chapter 7. There are also several articles on the subject at that link.

YUP!
As a matter of fact, they (we) were the very FIRST Christians.

Our New Testaments are all the same. That’s the portion of the Bible set from Jesus’ birth onward. All Christians share the same New Testament.

Our Old Testaments are mostly the same. Catholic and Orthodox Christians include a few books more than Protestant Christians, but the earliest and most basic books (like Genesis and Exodus) are in every version of the Bible.

Orthodox Old Testaments contain more books than Catholic Old Testaments. Protestant Bibles omit Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, 1 & 2 Maccabees and parts of Daniel and Esther (all of these books are in Catholic and Orthodox Bibles). In addition to these books, the Orthodox include 1 & 2 Esdras, Psalm 151, the Prayer of Manasseh, and 3 & 4 Maccabees which are not found in Catholic Bibles. So the Protestant Bible is the smallest, followed by the Catholic Bible, then the Orthodox Bible which is the biggest.

I thought they also had the Shephard of Hermas too.

As far as some of the other books you mention, I vaugely recall its not so much different- yet the numbering is for some reason, yet the content is the same,

Its been a while since I have thought about this issue.

I do not know. I’m sure somebody on the Eastern Christianity forum would know.

As far as some of the other books you mention, I vaugely recall its not so much different- yet the numbering is for some reason, yet the content is the same,

Its been a while since I have thought about this issue.

1 & 2 Esdras, 3 & 4 Maccabees, the Prayer of Manasseh, and Psalm 151 are definitely different books, not a different numbering system. I have the ecumenical RSV which has these books. I purchased that Bible in addition to the RSV-CE so I would have those books.

Thanks lak611, I think I will hit the search on the eastern Orthodox out of communion as I recall a debate on this one.

I will ask someone there to come over and clarify, I really would like to get the official list from their POV just to know it better myself.

Have you read the Shephard of Hermas?
Its a bit mind blowing.:eek:

No, I have not. I may try to find it at the public library.

:thumbsup: I agree, that’s about how I was going to answer.

I agree too. I just brought up the Orthodox Bible because they are another group of Christians that everybody seems to forget about.

Excuse me, but what’s the difference between Bible and Scripture?

Scripture is a recognized writing inspired by God. “God-breathed” is the common term. The “Bible” is the collection containing all Scriptural writings, which themselves are called “books”.

Examples are like the books of Genesis, Exodus, Psalms, or Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, or Hebrews, etc… Each of these books is considered Scripture. The Bible is simply the complete collection.

Not quite all, the Syrian Church’s canon doesn’t include 2 Peter, 2 John, 3 John, Jude or Revelation.

Looks like that’s true - at least in part. This is the kind of stuff that happens when you separate yourself from authority. :frowning:

ntcanon.org/Peshitta.shtml

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.