About Consecrated Virgins

Can a woman become a Consecrated Virgin, if she isn´t a virgin?

I recently met a young woman who told me she can´t become a Consecrated Virgin, even that she feels a strong calling to that way of life. She was baptized few years ago and before her baptism she lived a "not christian life" and lost also her virginity. After her baptism she has lived a celibate life. I think she has converted totally and is now a good Catholic.

This woman has repented her previous way of life, has lived a celibate life after her baptism and is virgin in her soul, couldn´t she become a Consecrated Virgin and give herself totally, publicly to Christ? Does anyone know?

The short answer is no. You cannot give to God what you do not have. Perpetual virginity is a life-long calling.

ewtn.com/library/PRIESTS/CONSVIRG.htm

If your friend is feeling called to consecrate herself to God, perhaps she should look into religious life, or becoming a hermit. There are many ways in which she can serve God besides being a consecrated virgin. Recommend that she find a good spiritual director and that she talks to him about what she is experiencing and the spiritual director should be able to lead her in the right direction. :)

[quote="Eupraxia, post:1, topic:218250"]
Can a woman become a Consecrated Virgin, if she isn´t a virgin?

I recently met a young woman who told me she can´t become a Consecrated Virgin, even that she feels a strong calling to that way of life. She was baptized few years ago and before her baptism she lived a "not christian life" and lost also her virginity. After her baptism she has lived a celibate life. I think she has converted totally and is now a good Catholic.

This woman has repented her previous way of life, has lived a celibate life after her baptism and is virgin in her soul, couldn´t she become a Consecrated Virgin and give herself totally, publicly to Christ? Does anyone know?

[/quote]

I knew a woman who had been married and had children and later, after she was widowed in her 40s, took a vow of chastity under a bishop. Find a good spiritual director to speak to about this.

Thank You for Your interesting comments.

I have also heard of women giving public vows of chastity, but I suppose it is still different from being a Consecrated Virgin? I don´t know.

Consecrated Virgin is a very specific calling, and it requires the female in question to be a literal, physical virgin, in my understanding. Men who have had past sexual activity may still possibly become priests or religious and take a vow of chastity, but this is not a retroactive vow. In other words, it does not constitute the same thing as virginity. Much in the same way, a woman with sexual activity in the past may, as you said, take a vow of chastity, but this is entirely different than being a Consecrated Virgin. Hope this helps! (And maybe Brother Jay will jump in here and explain it in detail if you're lucky ;-) )

+VNV+

Eupraxia,

Virginity, once lost voluntarily, cannot be regained on the primary level, which is required for the consecration of virgins. Nevertheless, a woman who has restored or secondary level of virginity (chaste living) is welcome to discern all the vocations open to women, just not consecrated virginity. My signature website below has some FAQ posts on consecrated virginity and other vocations. Hope this is helpful.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.