? about infant baptisim. pls

My husband use to go to mass every sunday and I haven’t gone since I was little bc my parents split up and my dad was the catholic one. But since we now. Have a daughter we want to start going to mass again bc since I didn’t go offten when I was a child o really want.her to grow up on the catholic faith and god in her life. But I was wondering who is eligable to be god parents? And do u think since we haven’t gone to mass offten that it will be a problem to baptise her? Any reply is very much appriciated, but pls dont judge. Thank you.

I was away from the Church for many years. I would think to judge anyone else.

The godparents should be practicing Catholics. In order to Baptize your child, the priest will want to see that you have the intention of raising her as a Catholic, and not just get her Baptized and that’s the end of it. There’s no point in getting Baptized if you don’t intend to live your life according to Catholic teaching.

If you haven’t been attending Mass, this is a great time to start. This week is the big guns of the whole year. On Saturday evening, you may see adults who are just joining the Church getting Baptized or Confirmed, receiving their First Communions…very exciting and moving. And if you’re not already Catholic, you may want to find out about RCIA for yourself, so you can become Catholic too.

Rachel welcome home !!
No-one should judge you.In fact it is wonderful that you wish to return and bring your child
up in the faith.Go along to Mass as often as you can familiarise yourself again and make an
appointment with the local priest and tell him what you hav e told us here.He will welcome you with open arms.
As for God parents…the most imprtant thing you can do for your child is get her baptised.If you have no practising catholics in your family or friends circle tell the priest.Having God parents is not the most important thing.Getting her baptised and raising her catholic is.

I wish you well dear friend.Let us know how you get on speaking to your priest.He will be so happy to hear from you.God bless

Rachel welcome home !!
No-one should judge you.In fact it is wonderful that you wish to return and bring your child
up in the faith.Go along to Mass as often as you can familiarise yourself again and make an
appointment with the local priest and tell him what you hav e told us here.He will welcome you with open arms.
As for God parents…the most imprtant thing you can do for your child is get her baptised.If you have no practising catholics in your family or friends circle tell the priest.Having God parents is not the most important thing.Getting her baptised and raising her catholic is.

I wish you well dear friend.Let us know how you get on speaking to your priest.He will be so happy to hear from you.God bless

Twelve years ago I could almost have written your post. Dh and I were getting married and intent on starting our family right away. He was Methodist and I was a cradle catholic that had not been to mass more than a handful of times in my adult life.

So off to Mass we went. We talked to the father. He said that we had to start living our faith - which meant at a minimum showing up for church each week. We did, dd was baptized and now we are a very devout family of practicing Catholics.

There should be no problem for you to come home. If you have not been confirmed, please consider classes to come into full communion with the church. Quite possibly you’ll want your marriage convalidated if you were married outside the church. And your daughter can be baptized with at least one Catholic in good standing for a god-parent.

Good luck and God bless you for wanting to raise your daughter in the church. You will be giving her a wonderful gift that can never be taken away.

Welcome home as others have said. My guess is you have not received all the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation) so you and possibly your husband need to do this as well. This means you will need to attend RCIA - the catch-all place for many who may have been Baptized but have not received any other Sacraments as well as those converting from other Christian churches and those who have never been Baptized.

Please if possible find out when your local Parish is having their Easter Vigil mass and go, it is long and well attended but you will hopefully get to see those who just finished their RCIA and are coming either into full communion, receiving the Sacraments of First Communion and Confirmation. At my Parish this is an awesome experience! Makes me cry every time I go to one.

Brenda V.

Wonderful!

Jesus loves you…and your little one!

He waits for us all in confession …with great love and mercy…he desires our happiness…he indeed is our Hope! Our Life!

As to your returning to the Church (I assume since you and your husband are both Catholics you were married in the Church…if that was not the case that would need to be worked out first before confession and communion …which is not too hard…but it seems you were married in the Catholic Church…so it is easier)…the first step would be to see the Priest for confession…you can make an personal appointment…that is what I would recommend…call him and tell him you wish to come home before Easter…and go see him…(you can get an examination of conscience to read to help with confession…we need to confess all our mortal sins…and repent of them of course…but also ask him to help you…to ask you questions)

you can ask him to help you…confession is one of the greatest things in life! then after Easter…you can make another appointment to see him about the baptism…

then you all can rejoice in the grace and peace and joy of Jesus Christ…

and of course as a Catholic we are obliged to come to Mass on Sundays and the few Holy days during the year…but this is a great joy! For the Holy Eucharist IS Jesus!

Remember Jesus loves you and died for you …and wants you to share in his life…his resurrection and wants to share it with your little one…

be not afraid but come to his heart…his love…

and bring your little one right to him

who are eligible to be godparents?

• any goodstanding (practicing) Roman Catholics can become godparents. some priests (like my parish priest) would ask for a certificate from their parish that will state they are practicing Roman Catholics

also, if you can only get one Catholic godparent, that is fine as well. if you have other friends who are baptized Christians (non-Catholics), they can be a Christian Witness to the baptism. although they will not function as a godparent

And do u think since we haven’t gone to mass offten that it will be a problem to baptise her?

• the priest may delay baptism because of this. one condition of baptizing infants is that the parents will promise to raise them as good Catholics. it would be hard to convince the priest that you will do just that if you yourself are not living a Catholic life

Just like the story of the returning prodigal son, Jesus and the Church will welcome you back with open arms! No one will judge, we are happy to have you back. I myself turned away from my Christian upbringing for a long time. Call up your local parish and set up a meeting with the priest. They will be thrilled to welcome you!

Welcome home,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.