About Lent

I know that catholics give up something for lent. My question is would it be ok for instance to say the rosary everyday or maybe pray for 15 minutes a day instead of giving up something, such as sweets or salt or meat. Would to say the rosary everyday be acceptable for Lent, Or must you give up something? Thanks and have a peaceful day.

Lent is a time for sacrifice, whether giving something up or doing an extra something. Adding to your prayers is so very pleasing to God and Our Blessed Mother! :thumbsup:

Peace.

+JMJ+

Either way, you’re giving up something. Not eating sweets/salt/meat is an obvious sacrifice, the giving up of sweets/salt/meat. In order to pray the Rosary daily you would be giving up, every day, the time it takes to pray that Rosary, time you could use for other activities.

God bless!

First reading
From the book of the prophet Isaiah
58:1-12
Concerning fasting that pleases God

Thus says the Lord God:
Cry out full-throated and unsparingly,
lift up your voice like a trumpet blast;
Tell my people their wickedness,
and the house of Jacob their sins.

They seek me day after day,
and desire to know my ways,
Like a nation that has done what is just
and not abandoned the law of their God;
They ask me to declare what is due them,
pleased to gain access to God.
“Why do we fast, and you do not see it?
afflict ourselves, and you take no note of it?”

Lo, on your fast day you carry out your own pursuits,
and drive all your laborers.
Yes, your fast ends in quarreling and fighting,
striking with wicked claw.
Would that today you might fast
so as to make your voice heard on high!
Is this the manner of fasting I wish,
of keeping a day of penance:
That a man bow his head like a reed,
and lie in sackcloth and ashes?
Do you call this a fast,
a day acceptable to the Lord?

This, rather, is the fasting that I wish:
releasing those bound unjustly,
untying the thongs of the yoke;
Setting free the oppressed,
breaking every yoke;
Sharing your bread with the hungry,
sheltering the oppressed and the homeless;
Clothing the naked when you see them,
and not turning your back on your own.

Then your light shall break forth like the dawn,
and your wound shall quickly be healed;
Your vindication shall go before you,
and the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer,
you shall cry for help, and he will say: Here I am!

If you remove from your midst oppression,
false accusation and malicious speech;
If you bestow your bread on the hungry
and satisfy the afflicted;
Then light shall rise for you in the darkness,
and the gloom shall become for you like midday;

Then the Lord will guide you always
and give you plenty even on the parched land.
He will renew your strength,
and you shall be like a watered garden,
like a spring whose water never fails.
The ancient ruins shall be rebuilt for your sake,
and the foundations from ages past you shall raise up;
“Repairer of the breach,” they shall call you,
“Restorer of ruined homesteads.”

RESPONSORY Isaiah 58:6, 7, 9; Matthew 25:31, 34, 35

The Lord says:
The kind of fast that pleases me is sharing your food with the hungry and sheltering the poor and homeless.
– Do this and I will listen to your prayers; when you call on me I will say: I am here.

When the Son of Man comes in glory, he will say to those on his right:
Come, inherit the kingdom, for I was hungry and you gave me food.
– Do this and I will listen to your prayers; when you call on me I will say: I am here.

Peace

Yes, it is an excellent idea to pray the Rosary, but it is still required to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays. It is also required to fast in Ash Wednesday and Good Friday for people between 14-60 years of age. If a person has certain medical problems, or a mom is pregnant or breastfeeding, the rules of fasting do not apply.

Absolutely adding something, like the rosary, is perfect. You are, in a sense, “giving up” time that you would use to do something else and praying the rosary instead.

God bless you!

Some do, some don’t.

There are actually three traditional aspects to Lent: prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. You might focus on one or a combination.

Prayer: Add more prayer time to your day; go on a retreat or a day of reflection; do more spiritual reading; attend Mass more often; etc.

Fasting: This is the “giving something up” idea. You might fast from food, the Internet, television, criticizing others, etc. One possibility is to combine fasting with almsgiving. If you give up your daily espresso drink, you might save the money and donate it to charity.

Almsgiving: This might take the form of donating money, but might also take the form of donating time. Join with the group at your parish or elsewhere that feeds the hungry or collects clothing for those who need it. Be aware of your sick neighbor who might appreciate a visit or some food that can be easily heated up. Reach out to others and offer them hope and help.

What will most change your heart during Lent?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.