About Mary...

I have been listening to a video on youtube titled The Stations of The Cross. It seems very much like a professional, if older, recording.
It took a few listens before I noticed the words of the narrator on the 13th Station regarding Jesus being taken from the Cross; “He in death, as in life, rested on the bosom of His DIVINE mother”.

:shrug:

I don’t subscribe to youtube, so am unable to contact the poster of said video.

Not sure how to address this, especially since so many think Catholics “worship” Mary…

God Bless.

I thought something is “divine” if it has been appointed by God for God’s purpose or has been dedicated to the service of God, the divine thing can be regarded as Holy. It does not refer specifically to nature, but to either nature or in this case purpose.

The word “divine,” especially in older writings can be used figuratively. Compare with the word “heavenly.” A massage might be “heavenly” even though it is not literally from heaven. Similarly, someone might say a piece of chocolate cake is “divine” even though it is not a god. The distinction becomes blurrier in religious writings, but I can assure you that the author did not mean that Mary was “consubstantial with the Father” or anything like that. He is using the word to describe her holiness since she is first among all the saints with the understanding that Mary is in no way actually God. He using the word to express that she is superlatively holy. I have seen the same usage of “divine” in reference to Mary in St. Louis de Montfort’s writings, although the editor of my edition saw fit to insert a clarifying footnote.

It is a matter of semantics.

My mother makes “divine” apple pie.

LOL

:tiphat::bounce:

Mary is not a divinity but is of divine origin.

God’s divine plan, God’s divine law, God’s divine Church, our divine souls, the Church’s divine sacraments, Jesus’ divine mother, etc. - all of divine origin. God is the divinity through which all these are prepared for us so that we might be saved.

Anyone who questions it should be asked whether the Bible is of divine origin. Are the Scriptures divine? The Scriptures are not God, but they are the divine word of God - of divine origin.

-Tim-

John Chapter 15 tells us that Christ is da true vine and the Father is da vine keeper.

So, in a sense, we all (including Mary) are da vine!

:smiley:

Hi,

Perhaps the text is a poor translation from Latin?

As for showing how to prove that we do not worship Mary, see

defendingthebride.com/ma3/only18.html

Another example is the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. This is a Protestant Church. You can bet they don’t worship St. John. :wink:

Hi,

Please note definitions 6 , 10, and 11 below.
This seems to resolve the issue, or misunderstanding.

dictionary.reference.com/browse/divine

divine
[dih-vahyn]

adjective, di·vin·er, di·vin·est.

1. of or pertaining to a god, especially the Supreme Being.
  2. addressed, appropriated, or devoted to God or a god; religious; sacred: divine worship.
  3. proceeding from God or a god: divine laws.
  4. godlike; characteristic of or befitting a deity: divine magnanimity.
  5. heavenly; celestial: the divine kingdom.
  6. Informal. extremely good; unusually lovely: He has the most divine tenor voice.
  7. being a god; being God: Zeus, Hera, and other divine beings in greek mythology.
  8. of superhuman or surpassing excellence: Beauty is divine.
  9. Obsolete . of or pertaining to divinity or theology.

noun
10. a theologian; scholar in religion.
11. a priest or member of the clergy.
12. the Divine.
a. God.
b. ( sometimes lowercase ) the spiritual aspect of humans; the group of attributes and qualities of humankind regarded as godly or godlike.

verb (used with object), di·vined, di·vin·ing.
13. to discover or declare (something obscure or in the future) by divination; prophesy.
14. to discover (water, metal, etc.) by means of a divining rod.
15. to perceive by intuition or insight; conjecture.

Catholics seem to shy away from the psalm that says something to the effect that we shall become gods. But, Jesus uses this psalm in refuting the Jewish leaders and scholars claim of blasphemy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.