About praying the Rosary

I never learned much about the Rosary (that I remember, anyway) in school. My mother MADE me learn the prayers before I started first grade. The only one I forgot was the Hail Holy Queen and I always have to read it. I try my best to say the Rosary every day and sometimes I get part of another one. I came back to the Church on 10/17/08 after 35 years away. My question is (one of many!!): how do I pray the Rosary for a special intention?? I have read many things here about “special intentions” ie: the Pope, a sick child, souls in purgatory,etc. Do I mention it before I start the Rosary or after a certain prayer?? Do I ask it of Mother Mary or of God?? As you can see, I am really confused!!:confused: Any answers would be appreciated!!

Welcome back!:slight_smile:
I don’t think there’s actually a wrong way to offer up the Rosary for an intention; for example you can say before you start, I am offering this Rosary for the intention of ____, or at the start of each decade you can offer that decade for a specific intention. Traditionally, the first three Hail Mary’s are offered for an increase in the virtues of faith, hope, and love. Many people also say an Our Father, a Hail Mary, and a Glory Be after the last prayers of the Rosary for the intentions of the Holy Father.

Well, here’s what I do … I use the 1st method of St. Louis de Montfort (if you can, try to get ahold of a copy of his book Secret of the Rosary).

So, at the very beginning, I start off with the “Come Holy Spirit” and then this:

I unite with all the saints in heaven and with all the just on earth; I unite with you, my Jesus, to praise your holy Mother worthily and to praise you in her and by her. I renounce all the distractions that may come to me while I am saying this Rosary. O Blessed Virgin Mary, we offer you this creed to honor the faith you had upon earth and to ask you to permit us to share in that same faith. O Lord, we offer you this Our Father to adore you in your oneness and to acknowledge you as the first cause and the last end of all things. Most Holy Trinity, we offer you these three Hail Marys to thank you for all the graces which you have given to Mary and which you have given to us through her intercession. I offer this rosary for (and here I mention whatever I’m offering that rosary for).

Then the Creed, Our Father, and so on until I finish up. I’m rather slow, so it takes me around a half hour to pray the rosary.

Here’s more on the first method: Montford Method 1

I have two good resources to share about the rosary -

On this web site: missiondoctors.org/rosary/intro.html

There is a rosary with images from the missions - this can be used with a projector too for a class - AND if someone wants a CD of this for the computer - note it is not just an audio CD write to receive a free copy while there are still some available:

Mission Doctors Association
3435 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1035
Los Angeles, CA 90010

And - an audio Rosary CD (and other free CD’s) is available just for the cost of postage from the catholicity.com/cds/rosary.html
:gopray2:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.