About praying to angels

I hope you all can help me through some cognitive dissonance here. When I pray to Mary and the saints, it is always to ask for their intercession. I ask for them to pray to God for me, not to do anything of their own power, if you will. Now, how does idea apply when we pray to angels? Don’t we pray for their protection, espeically considering that they are actively engaged on the spiritual battlefield? If so, it seems I am asking them to “do” something of their own power, rather then just intercede by praying to God on my behalf. Why is it okay to pray to angels this way, or is it?

LT

Because they are a different kind of being, with higher powers than humans, and they are given to us to help and serve us. It seems perfectly right to me.

Betsy

Grace & Peace!

I think there are a couple things that should be remembered here: 1-the prayer is not spoken divorced from the traditions/understandings of the church which has revealed that the angels are ministers of God; 2-a request of another being to do something does not equate to worship, otherwise, I would be worshipping the 411 operator every time I asked her for help with a number or an address.

Let’s look at this famous prayer to St. Michael:Saint Michael the Archangel,defend us in battle.

Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.

May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;

and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -

by the Divine Power of God - cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits, who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.
The first two sentences request of our friend Michael that he do exactly what he does do. That is, by acknowledging his ministry, we accept it as a gift and a grace from God. We are, in effect, saying, “You are who God made you! Be who God made you to be!” You’re not asking him to be anything other than what he is, and you’re not worshipping him by telling him what he is and what he does–you’re just accepting the facts!

The second clause, before the semi-colon acknowledges the source of Michael’s strength, the source in which Michael and all the angels glory: God! It puts Michael’s ministry into a larger Divine context–Michael’s battle with the Dragon is the rebuke of God because Michael is an instrument of God’s will and grace.

The statement after the semi-colon puts it all together for us: “Do thou by the Power of God.” It is a recognition that Michael’s power is a manifestation of the Power of God.

All perfectly orthodox, if you ask me!

Under the Mercy,
Mark

Deo Gratias!

It’s like asking a friend to pray to God on your behalf.The friend has no power, he/she is petitioning God on your behalf.Only God can answer your prayers.

LT

The church teaches that there is a guardian angel for every soul.

Heavenly angels, often referred to as guardian angels, are mentioned numerous times in the Bible. Therein we learn that angels are spiritual beings created by God to serve Him, and sent by God to watch over the human race, to deliver His message, to guard and protect us from danger (if so willed by God), and to do battle with other spiritual beings on our behalf.

That every individual soul has a guardian angel has never been defined by the Church, and is, consequently, not an article of faith; but it is the “mind of the Church”. As St. Jerome expressed it: “how great the dignity of the soul, since each one has from his birth an angel commissioned to guard it.” (Comm. in Matt., 28:2).

. It is clear that the Old Testament conceived of God’s angels as His ministers who carried out his commands, and who were at times given special commissions, regarding men and mundane affairs.

But in the New Testament the doctrine is stated with greater precision. Angels are everywhere, the intermediaries between God and man; and Christ set a seal upon the Old

YOU MAY INDEED HAVE BEEN SAVED FROM HARM THROUGH THE ACTIONS OF AN ANGEL (maybe you were aware of it, and maybe not)… HOWEVER, ANGELS WORK FOR GOD, SO WHEN YOU WERE SAVED FROM HARM --EVEN
IF IT WAS THROUGH THE ACTIONS OF AN ANGEL–IT WAS AT GOD’S COMMAND.
Therefore, you should focus your gratitude toward God. The Bible makes it clear that Angels do not want our gratitude. For example, see the following passage.

Revelation 22
8 Now I, John, saw and heard these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things.
9 Then he said to me, “See that you do not do that. For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”

My personal comments on the above::

I believe that:

(a) Guardian Angels are real.
(b) Guardian Angels are assigned to us by God.
© Guardian Angels deliver messages to us, (by acting on our senses and conscience) from God, as God wills them to do. They also protect us and save us from harm if so commanded by God.
(d) Guardian Angels remain with us throughout our lifetime and follow our souls to Heaven after our death.

The question often arises about why our Guardian Angels don’t, on a continuing basis, protect us from evil. Our lives are predestined by God’s overall plan for each and everyone of us. Our Guardian Angels will protect us from harm IF so directed by God.

God gave all of us free will, and that includes persons of evil in this world. To protect everyone from harm would mean that there would be no evil in the world; that there then would be no reason for a Hell since evil would be non-existent. There will be a few cases where God will have our Guardian Angel save us from harm and that would be, in my opinion, in those cases where God has a reason for doing so. This would all be part of God’s predestined plan for us.

Another question asked is why do we need Guardian Angels when we have the Holy Spirit. Well, as I see it, the Holy Spirit is God and He uses Guardian Angels to help us when in need. There are times when Guardian Angels change their form into a human form to help someone in distress, as directed by God, since it would be necessary to take on a human form to handle given situations. (The Holy Spirit, as God, would not change His form to one of a human, but would allow our Guardian Angels to do so as His messenger.) There are many stories confirming actions by Guardian Angels, such as the time a man came out of nowhere to lift up a vehicle from a body on the road, then disappeared. In another case a man fell off a building and was caught by another man, who then disappeared. There were many incidents of like events by someone who, because of the action taken, could only be a being other than a human living on this earth. But remember that our Guardian Angels can save us from serious harm only when directed to do so by one of the three divine persons of the Holy Trinity.

Please know that I did much research from many books and internet sources on this
subject. I can not confirm anything said above by personal knowledge, but what I can confirm is that what I printed above was derived from various Christian sources. The personal comments, printed above, are strictly my own and, in some cases, are my opinions based on what I researched and the common sense that God gave me.

I think your idea that the saints in heaven are limited just praying for us is erroroneous. After all, doesn’t Scripture say that Elisha performed marvelous deeds after death. (Sirach 48:14)

I frequently ask St. Anthony of Padua to help me find my misplaced keys and he always comes through for me.

Very interesting. I guess my impressions come from the standard apolgetic fare we use regarding intercession. When challenged about praying to the saints, we Catholics typically respond by saying that it is acceptable for people on earth to pray for eachother, and thus it should be no different for the saints in heaven. We also refer to the incense (prayers) being offered up in scripture. Well, we always frame the argument merely in terms of prayer, but don’t go any further. So, is it okay to ask saints to go beyond mere “prayer relay” and act *directly *on our behalf?

LT

Grace & Peace!

ltravis, you ask, “is it okay to ask saints to go beyond mere “prayer relay” and act *directly *on our behalf?” And I think the answer (if it is an answer) has to be conditional–maybe.

The reason is this–if you pray with the expectation that the saint will accomplish something *by his own power, *then I would say your understanding of the communion of saints is lacking. The power of the saints is in God, they do nothing of their own power, but all things through, in, by the grace of God. They are saints because they have completely surrendered their own power to God and it is God in them that accomplishes any work which the Saint is said to accomplish. They are truly icons of God, windows into the Divine Reality.

Under the Mercy,
Mark

Deo Gratias!

Thanks, I can buy that:) I learn something new every day!

LT

Psalm 103 (Hebrew)/102 (LXX, Vulgate) has a direct invocation of angels: “O bless the Lord, you His angels…”

If that’s no scriptural warrant for prayer to angels, the English language has no meaning.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.