About reading the right version of The Bible

If I’m Catholic, does it really matter if the version of the Bible that I read is like “Catholic approved” or by only having the deuterocanonicals I’m ok?
P.S I read The Bible in Spanish so any recommendation is gladly accepted but I don’t think I’ll use them. Thanks and pax tecum.

Yes, I would say it’s pretty important that the Bible you read is approved by the Church since you want to make sure it’s translated correctly and without any heresy inserted in the text or commentary.

4 Likes

Yes, we should read a Catholic approved Bible. It is not just about the deuterocanonical books. Some Protestant Bibles will contain errors in translation.

2 Likes

The Spanish Bishops’ Conference has its own approved Bible, La Sagrada Biblia, Versión Oficial de la Conferencia Episcopal Española
http://www.conferenciaepiscopal.es/?s=biblia

Did you mean to say any English recommendatons? Or are you basically saying there was no point in posting the question?

Only the Vulgate is allowed.

I meant English recommendations. But still, the fact that I want or don’t want recommendations has nothing to do with my original question.

Wish it were so easy…Which translation, Biblia Sacra Vulgate or Clementine Vulgate, or other…and what if you don’t read Latin, which interlinear translation?

1 Like

Yes it DOES matter! The Protestant Bible is INCOMPLETE and their footnotes are INCORRECT!
Check with CCB (Conference of Catholic Bishops) in whatever country reside to find out what is
the best translation for your language.

A “dead giveaway” are the bible books included, but most people don’t want to review a list with 60+ entries. The majority of the time a priest will say “use the NIV.” Yet, the King James and Good News Translation are pretty darn good at times, can’t lie on that one. Spanish, that likely throws some people off but the .es link printed above looks good to me (as if I would know anyway)

What is I do know is that if you have a bible with the “Gospel of Judas” in it, that’s the kind of thing you leave with a priest - FO SHO

Yes. By canon law for the Latin Catholic (c. 825, §1), the episcopal conferences have the authority to approve translations of the Sacred Scriptures. Take the US, for example, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has noted on their website:

In addition to the translations listed below, any translation of the Sacred Scriptures that has received proper ecclesiastical approval ‒ namely, by the Apostolic See or a local ordinary prior to 1983, or by the Apostolic See or an episcopal conference following 1983 ‒ may be used by the Catholic faithful for private prayer and study.

New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE)
New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, National Council of Churches

Good News Translation (Today’s English Version, Second Edition), American Bible Society

http://www.usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/

What is used in the liturgy is more restricted than for study. Look at the Canadian website (CCCB).

1. What version of the Bible is officially used in Canada?
    The Bible approved for use in Canada is the New Revised Standard Bible (NRSV).

http://www.cccb.ca/site/faq#faq2

Catholic Church in England and Wales (Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales)

The Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales has approved the following versions of Scripture for use in the Liturgy.

Bible Versions
Revised Standard Version
Jerusalem Bible
New Jerusalem Bible *
New Revised Standard Version *
Good News — may be used for Masses with Children

* These versions may not be used to produce a Lectionary without the express permission of the Conference. The current Lectionary makes use of the Jerusalem Bible and the Grail Psalter (1963).

http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/Scripture/Versions.shtml

The risk with unauthorized versions is that translations can lead to heresy. But even more problematic, I think, is not so much the translation itself as the “notes” that often accompany them, especially study bibles. These are heavily biased toward the theological underpinnings of the translations and can, at times, be grossly anti-Catholic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.