About the doxology

In my home parish, Perry Como’s version of the Our Father is sung each Sunday.

It’s sung at a faster pace but the melody and “lyrics” remain the same. I’ve read that the doxology is not part of the Lord’s Prayer but is instead something that the priest says in the EF. It’s now expected that the people will say the doxology in the OF but it’s still not part of the Lord’s Prayer. If that’s correct (and I don’t know that it is), the version we’re singing each week slides the doxology into the Lord’s Prayer and seems to make them one. Am I mistaken on this?

I sort of dread this part of the Mass. I dislike the version to begin with. But I kind of cringe when everyone grasps hands – sometimes across the aisles – and then raises them when the doxology is sung. My little ones love it.

Everyone says or sings the Lord’s Prayer then the Priest continues the prayer alone then the people say or sing the doxology.

If this isn’t what is happening perhaps you can respectfully and charitable ask the priest why you all do it differently.

Holding hands for the Our Father and the orans posture are constantly recurring topics of debate on the Liturgy & Sacraments forum. A few recent threads:

Yes, I’ve noted that over the years.

That is what happens. But if everyone is holding hands from the beginning of the Lord’s Prayer through the doxology, it makes it seem as though the doxology is part of the same prayer. And it’s not. Right?

The doxology has been been considered part of the Lord’s prayer since the first century. From the Didache:

“Neither pray as the hypocrites; but as the Lord commanded in His Gospel, thus pray: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, as in heaven, so on earth. Give us today our daily (needful) bread, and forgive us our debt as we also forgive our debtors. And bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one (or, evil); for Yours is the power and the glory forever. Thrice in the day thus pray,”

Your objection is groundless.

Easy there. It was a question.

Personal observation: I seem to notice less hand holding at Mass during the Our Father than some years ago—maybe I just don’t notice it as much, but it seemed like a few years ago I was one of the only people who didn’t do it, now I notice more people not doing it.

I have no idea if this a trend, or my imagination, or just at Masses I have been to.

Blame the flu. Handshaking in general has gone down a lot.

The doxology is the conclusion of the prayer.

Another way to think about it is that it is the conclusion of a prayer sequence.

Just a few days ago there was a discussion about this same question on another thread.

The Greek NT is readily available online at these three websites, among others. If you look at Matt 6:13, Bible Hub puts the doxology in angle brackets, indicating a doubtful text found only in later manuscripts, while the other two omit it altogether…

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/6-13.htm

http://newadvent.com/bible/mat006.htm

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.