About the name Jehovah

God’s Name is found in many places in the Bible, but here’s just one:
God spoke further to Moses, [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]“Thus shall you say to the Israelites :
YHWH, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of
Isaac, the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.[/size][/FONT][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]ˮ This is my name for-
ever; this is my memorial for all generations.

• Exodus 3:15[/size][/FONT]
    “Jehovah” is a CORRUPT form of God’s True Name , YHWH , which NO ONE
    knows how to pronounce. Now if you find in your Bible “LORD” , all caps, that
    is a rendering of God’s Name, out of respect, because NO ONE should try to say
    God’s True Name.

Now there have been things said from people such as Josephus Flavius and
Clement of Alexandria suggesting that the Name is pronounced IAOUE or
IAOAI, but we can’t **truly **know, so we ought to respect the mystery of the
Name of God.

0 Likes

Brenda,
They are persistent and so should we; are we to allow them to keep pushing their false sect and continue to convert weak Catholics? It’s our responsibility to learn everything about the JW’s. I start by controlling the discussion and I take them to the beginning of Our Church 2000 years ago. I then follow with their founder Charles Taze Russell who in the late 1800 founded what is today known as The Watchtower Society; keep in mind most of them have never heard of this man. I bring them to the fact that their sect is man made as opposed to Jesus’ Church.

Please get “Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses” by Jason Evert and published by Catholic Answers. I consider the information exactly what lay Catholics need to counter the JW’s that knock at your door.

BTW… I must tell you that they have stopped coming to my door and I miss their visits. I am sure that’s because they don’t take risks with Catholics that can defend the Faith. The reason they come to your door in two’s is because more often than not one of them is in training and the leader will not want the trainee to hear what you have to say.

0 Likes

=flower lady;11290260]I am very confused and would like to know where or if the name Jehovah is mentioned in the bible and if so where? Also where did the name Jehovah come from? Thank you.

Where did the name Jehovah come from?
In:Bible Statistics and History, Religious Literature [Edit categories]

wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_did_the_name_Jehovah_come_from
Answer

Edited explanation: Yahweh + Adonai = Jehovah. It is not in the Bible. Ever. Adonai means “the Lord”. The word “yahweh” is the third person form of “hayah” and means “he is” or “he will be”. Moses asked God who he should tell the Israelites sent him, and God replied, “I am who I am” (1st person), then, "Tell them ‘I am has sent you’ " (3rd person). Some people don’t say “Yahweh” because they feel it is too holy. Jehovah, however, is a concocted word that references God and is free to be used by all.

The name Jehovah is the English form of the divine name found in the ancient manuscripts of the biblical text.

In the ancient Hebrew language, the name appears as four consonants, which tranliterate into English as “YHWH” or the English equivalent “JHVH.”

In Hebrew writing, vowels were not used, so the reader supplied the vowels as he read the text. That is why the divine name of GOD appeared as only four consonants.

Today, we do not know exactly how the pronunciation was in the original Hebrew language, but many feel that “Yahweh” is perhaps how it may have sounded in Hebrew, with the vowels added. The English equivalent that is most widely accepted is “Jehovah,” but this is of dubious origin. Rather, “Jehovah” is an unusual, and Western, mystico-combo-word with Catholic origins from the year 1270.

Hebrew had no vowels. This was unsatisfactory to those who wanted to pronounce the unpronouncable name of God. Their solution? By combining the vowel signs of ‘Adho.nay and ‘Elo.him’ with the four consonants of the Tetragrammaton the pronunciations Yeho.wah’ and Yehowih’ were formed. The first of these provided the basis for the Latinized form “Jehova(h).” The first recorded use of this form dates from the thirteenth century C.E. Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk of the Dominican Order, used it in his book Pugeo Fidei of the year 1270.

As such, the form “Jehovah” is of late medieval origin; it is a combination of the consonants of the Divine Name and the vowels attached to it by the Masoretes but belonging to an entirely different word.

0 Likes

That at first was my whole purpose for asking the question, in hopes, and in an attempt to learn about their faith in order to discuss our faith with them. After reading all the post, and I have learned from them, I have decided that you are right. I have changed my mind. Why close my door and as you said, continue to let them convert weak catholics? We should defend our faith, it is our responsibility to do so. I will learn all that I can about their faith. Thank you.

0 Likes

PJM, please be careful with the source you cite ‘wiki answers’. While I agree that the word Jehovah is man made I must take exception to your source wiki answers when they state that it is OK to profane the name of God by changing it to suit one’s need “and free to be used by all” like the JW’s that have written their own self serving version of the Bible on which they have taken out the name of God and Lord and replaced it with the word Jehovah. That is precisely the reason why under Moses’ law it was strictly forbidden to even pronounce the name of YHWH (Yahweh) in vain and so the Jews decided to use the Hebrew word “Adonai” which signifies “my lord” or “lord”.

Needless to say that the word “Jehovah” will never be interposed in Catholic Bibles to replace the name of God or Lord.

0 Likes

=yagrumo;11306978]PJM, please be careful with the source you cite ‘wiki answers’. While I agree that the name Jehovah is man made I must take exception to your source wiki answers when they state that it is OK to profane the name of God by changing it to suit one’s need “and free to be used by all” like the JW’s that have written their own self serving version of the Bible on which they have taken out the name of God and Lord and replaced it with the word Jehovah. That is precisely the reason why under Moses’ law it was strictly forbidden to even pronounce the name of YHWH (Yahweh) in vain and so the Jews decided to use the Hebrew word “Adonai” which signifies “my lord” or “lord”.

Needless to say that the word “Jehovah” will never be interposed in Catholic Bibles to replace the name of God or Lord.

Patrick

0 Likes

The name “Authorized Version” is apparently a popular appellation that became common towards the end of the Eighteenth Century.

“The use of Authorized Version or Authorised Version, capitalized and used as a name, is found as early as 1814.[21] For some time before this descriptive phrases such as “our present, and only publicly authorized version” (1783),[22] “our authorised version” (1792),[23] and “the authorized version” (1801, uncapitalized)[24] are found. The Oxford English Dictionary records a usage in 1824.[25] In Britain, the 1611 translation is generally known as the “Authorized Version” today.”
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version#Name

0 Likes

The true Authorized Version was edited in the late 1700 s to what it is today. The Authorirized Version at first contained ALL the books of the Bible but the late 1700s brought an end to that . The Catholic Douey Rheims Version of today is not the original either. It was edited by a bishop Richard Challoner somewhere around 150 years ago.

0 Likes

I think that is about 250 years ago.

0 Likes

Yeah! Like I said, 250 years ago! But then, what’s 100 years among friends?:rolleyes:

0 Likes

closed #31
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.