About the Shortage of Priests

I have heard it said before, and I could not find the thread again, that there is no shortage of people who aspire to be priests, rather that there is a shortage of resources at seminaries to train potential seminarians. How true is this claim? And if it is the case, how much should I donate to the FSSP? :D

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:1, topic:321200"]
I have heard it said before, and I could not find the thread again, that there is no shortage of people who aspire to be priests, rather that there is a shortage of resources at seminaries to train potential seminarians. How true is this claim? And if it is the case, how much should I donate to the FSSP? :D

[/quote]

A journey of ten miles starts with a step. Every Catholic Diocese and Religious Society know the approximate cost of training a Priest. If you contact your Bishop, Vocation Directors, Rectors of Seminaries or Superiors of Societies within your locality, you will be given an estimate of what it cost to train a Priest or run a seminary for one day, one week, one month or eight years. Your first move I believe, is to contact any of the above mentioned authorities for the necessary information. Lastly, the amount you have budgeted for the project will determine the number of Priests you may undertake to sponsor. May God grant you a generous heart and the strength to do His will. Amen.:thumbsup:

[/quote]

I know that here in Dallas, when we give our annual bishop promise, 51% of what we give is for those who are going to the seminary. Idk if your diocese does the annual bishop promise, and if they do check how much of what they receive is used for seminary. Like that your not only able to help your diocese, but also for young men to go to the seminary.

I give generously to the annual Bishop’s Appeal in our diocese because a large percentage of the money is designated for the education and training of priests and because I have been impressed with the wonderful seminarians who have come to our parish to speak of their call, their seminary experience, and their excitement at the opportunity to serve their Lord as a priest.

If you want to donate to the FSSP, call them up and tell them that you are willing to sponsor a seminarian. They will tell you how much, and the next time they need a sponsor I’m sure they will call you up.

[quote="kmo_9000, post:5, topic:321200"]
If you want to donate to the FSSP, call them up and tell them that you are willing to sponsor a seminarian. They will tell you how much, and the next time they need a sponsor I'm sure they will call you up.

[/quote]

"The next time they need a sponsor" :rolleyes: :D They always need sponsors! I know the FSSP says the cost each year per seminarian that the seminarian is responsible for is $7000, but that doesn't include personal costs.

The FSSP is short priests because they have to turn them away until they have room for them. Many diocese have shortages of priests because for some reason they don't have vocations. Our small Latin Mass community has more seminarians and people waiting to go to the seminary in Nebraska than the entire diocese has people discerning the diocesean priesthood.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:6, topic:321200"]
"The next time they need a sponsor" :rolleyes: :D They always need sponsors! I know the FSSP says the cost each year per seminarian that the seminarian is responsible for is $7000, but that doesn't include personal costs.

The FSSP is short priests because they have to turn them away until they have room for them. Many diocese have shortages of priests because for some reason they don't have vocations. Our small Latin Mass community has more seminarians and people waiting to go to the seminary in Nebraska than the entire diocese has people discerning the diocesean priesthood.

[/quote]

Exactly, so like I was saying, if you want to donate you tell them that you are willing to sponsor the next seminarian in line...

I have heard it said before, and I could not find the thread again, that there is no shortage of people who aspire to be priests, rather that there is a shortage of resources at seminaries to train potential seminarians. How true is this claim?

[/quote]

I'd say that this is more of someone's wishful fantasy.

Granted, there are some places that are full and have to turn people away, but of the seminaries I know of, they are not full. And the reason is not a lack of funds, but a lack of vocations.

[/quote]

Are you conflating "shortage of resources (at FSSP)" with "shortage of resources at seminaries (in general)"? Although the former might be true, I don't think you could make the claim for the latter. Seminaries are starting to fill up, in general, in the U.S.; but that doesn't mean that they're on the brink of insolvency... ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.