About Those Unthinking Backward, Catholics

forums.catholic.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=45

I never saw either young man again. The cultural damage done by the current White House has — apparently — made courting America’s bishops unnecessary.

The link doesn’t go anywhere…

Here is the link he is talking about. firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2016/10/about-those-unthinking-backwards-catholics

In the meantime, a friend describes the choice facing voters in November this way: a vulgar, boorish lout and disrespecter of women, with a serious impulse control problem; or a scheming, robotic liar with a lifelong appetite for power and an entourage riddled with anti-Catholic bigots.

In a nation where “choice” is now the unofficial state religion, the menu for dinner is remarkably small.

I think this sums up our current situation very well. May God have mercy on us all.

Ultimately, what is it that the “anti-catholic” Clinton administration would do with us? Could it ever get so bad as being similar to what Christians are subject to in the Middle East, as in being slaughtered because we don’t believe the way “they” do? The possibilities of what this administration could do to U.S. Catholics frighten me. Or am I worrying too much over nothing?

[quote=Cardinal George]I am (correctly) quoted as saying that I expected to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. What is omitted from the reports is a final phrase I added about the bishop who follows a possibly martyred bishop: ‘His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.’
[/quote]

m.ncregister.com/blog/tim-drake/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-ill-die-in-my-bed#.WAA_P4Y8L7o

Here is the link I intended to post…

ncregister.com/daily-news/about-those-unthinking-backward-catholics

Philadelphia, Pa., Oct 14, 2016 / 05:53 pm (CNA).- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput did not enjoy his first and only encounter with two leaders of Catholics United.

“It was an interesting experience,” Archbishop Chaput recounted in his Oct. 13 column for Catholic Philly magazine.

“Both men were obvious flacks for the Obama campaign and the Democratic Party – creatures of a political machine, not men of the Church; less concerned with Catholic teaching than with its influence,” he said.

“And presumably (for them) bishops were dumb enough to be used as tools, or at least prevented from helping the other side.”

Right now the group is in the news after being mentioned in a leak of emails published by the anti-secrecy site WikiLeaks. The Feb. 10-11, 2012 emails were reputedly hacked from the account of John Podesta, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s current campaign manager, former chief of staff for President Bill Clinton, and past president of the Center for American Progress think tank.

Sandy Newman, president of the progressive organization Voices for Progress, wrote Podesta about the controversy over Catholic resistance to the Obama administration’s then-new rule mandating insurance plan coverage of contraceptives, including some drugs that can cause abortions.

For Newman, a longtime political actor who once hired a young Barack Obama for a voter registration project in Illinois in 1993, the controversy appeared to be a chance to foment revolution within the Church.

“There needs to be a Catholic Spring, in which Catholics themselves demand the end of a middle ages dictatorship and the beginning of a little democracy and respect for gender equality in the Catholic church,” Newman suggested to Podesta.

“Even if the idea isn’t crazy, I don’t qualify to be involved and I have not thought at all about how one would ‘plant the seeds of the revolution,’ or who would plant them,” Newman added. “Just wondering…”

To this email, Podesta responded:

“We created Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good to organize for a moment like this. But I think it lacks the leadership to do so now. Likewise Catholics United,” Podesta replied, according to the email. “Like most Spring movements, I think this one will have to be bottom up.”

Podesta suggested consultation with Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, former Lt. Governor of Maryland and daughter of Robert F. Kennedy.

In his column, Archbishop Chaput recounted his visit from two young men from Catholics United just weeks before the 2008 presidential election between Barack Obama and John McCain.

The two men “voiced great concern at the manipulative skill of Catholic agents for the Republican Party,” Archbishop Chaput reported. “And they hoped my brother bishops and I would resist identifying the Church with single-issue and partisan (read: abortion) politics.”

“Yet these two young men not only equaled but surpassed their Republican cousins in the talents of servile partisan hustling,” the archbishop charged. “Thanks to their work, and activists like them, American Catholics helped to elect an administration that has been the most stubbornly unfriendly to religious believers, institutions, concerns and liberty in generations.”

“I never saw either young man again. The cultural damage done by the current White House has – apparently — made courting America’s bishops unnecessary,” the archbishop lamented. “But bad can always get worse.”

The archbishop noted other emails in the leak showing staffers at the Center for American Progress insulting Catholics and Catholic converts, claiming they “must be attracted to the systematic thought and severely backwards gender relations and must be totally unaware of Christian democracy.”

He cited a letter from a nationally prominent non-Catholic attorney experienced in Church-State relations. The attorney declared the emails “some of the worst bigotry by a political machine I have seen… (a) Church has an absolute right to protect itself when under attack as a faith and Church by civil political forces.”

He suggested it would be nice if former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton repudiated its content: “All of us backward-thinking Catholics who actually believe what Scripture and the Church teach would be so very grateful.”

Yet Archbishop Chaput appeared no friendlier to Clinton’s leading rival. He recounted a friend’s description of the leading political candidates: “A vulgar, boorish lout and disrespecter of women, with a serious impulse control problem; or a scheming, robotic liar with a lifelong appetite for power and an entourage riddled with anti-Catholic bigots.”

The archbishop lamented that in a country where the concept of choice is “the unofficial state religion,” the menu is “remarkably small.”

His unnamed attorney interlocutor also reflected on the state of the country, saying that before the leaks there was been “strong evidence” of the current administration’s hostility to religious organizations.

“Now there is clear proof that this approach is deliberate and will accelerate if these actors have any continuing, let alone louder, say in government,” the attorney said, according to the archbishop’s column.

The attorney charged there is an active strategy to shape Catholicism into the religion the political leaders wish.

“Look where we are now. We have political actors trying to orchestrate a coup to destroy Catholic values, and they even analogize their takeover to a coup in the Middle East, which amplifies their bigotry and hatred of the Church,” the attorney said.

Catholics United’s aligned organization, Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good, received hundreds of thousands of dollars from billionaire George Soros’ Open Society Foundations from 2006-2010.
Full article…

Original article is here
catholicphilly.com/2016/10/think-tank/archbishop-chaput-column/about-those-unthinking-backward-catholics/

By Archbishop Charles Chaput, O.F.M. Cap. • Posted October 13, 2016

Back in 2008, in the weeks leading up to the Obama-McCain presidential election, two young men visited me in Denver. They were from Catholics United, a group describing itself as committed to social justice issues. They voiced great concern at the manipulative skill of Catholic agents for the Republican Party. And they hoped my brother bishops and I would resist identifying the Church with single-issue and partisan (read: abortion) politics.

It was an interesting experience. Both men were obvious flacks for the Obama campaign and the Democratic Party — creatures of a political machine, not men of the Church; less concerned with Catholic teaching than with its influence. And presumably (for them) bishops were dumb enough to be used as tools, or at least prevented from helping the other side.

Yet these two young men not only equaled but surpassed their Republican cousins in the talents of servile partisan hustling. Thanks to their work, and activists like them, American Catholics helped to elect an administration that has been the most stubbornly unfriendly to religious believers, institutions, concerns and liberty in generations.

I never saw either young man again. The cultural damage done by the current White House has — apparently — made courting America’s bishops unnecessary.

But bad can always get worse. I’m thinking, of course, of the contemptuously anti-Catholic emails exchanged among members of the Clinton Democratic presidential campaign team and released this week by WikiLeaks. A sample: Sandy Newman, president of Voices for Progress, emailed John Podesta, now the head of Hillary Clinton’s campaign, to ask about whether “the bishops opposing contraceptive coverage” could be the tinder for a revolution. “There needs to be a Catholic Spring, in which Catholics themselves demand the end of a middle ages [sic] dictatorship,” Newman writes.

Of course, Newman added, “this idea may just reveal my total lack of understanding of the Catholic church, the economic power it can bring to bear against nuns and priests who count on it for their maintenance.” Still, he wondered, how would one “plant the seeds of a revolution”? John Podesta replied that “We created Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good to organize for a moment like this . . . likewise Catholics United” (emphasis added).

Another Clinton-related email, from John Halpin of the Center for American Progress, mocks Catholics in the so-called conservative movement, especially converts: “They must be attracted to the systematic thought and severely backwards gender relations and must be totally unaware of Christian democracy.” In a follow-up, he adds “They can throw around ‘Thomistic’ thought and ‘subsidiarity’ and sound sophisticated because no one knows what . . . they’re talking about.”

On the evening these WikiLeaks emails were released, I received the following angry email myself, this one from a nationally respected (non-Catholic) attorney experienced in Church-state affairs:

“I was deeply offended by the [Clinton team] emails, which are some of the worst bigotry by a political machine I have seen. [A] Church has an absolute right to protect itself when under attack as a faith and Church by civil political forces. That certainly applies here …

“Over the last eight years there has been strong evidence that the current administration, with which these people share values, has been very hostile to religious organizations. Now there is clear proof that this approach is deliberate and will accelerate if these actors have any continuing, let alone louder, say in government.

“These bigots are actively strategizing how to shape Catholicism not to be Catholic or consistent with Jesus’ teachings, but to be the ‘religion’ they want. They are, at the very core, trying to turn religion to their secular view of right and wrong consistent with their politics. This is fundamentally why the Founders left England and demanded that government not have any voice in religion. Look where we are now. We have political actors trying to orchestrate a coup to destroy Catholic values, and they even analogize their takeover to a coup in the Middle East, which amplifies their bigotry and hatred of the Church. I had hoped I would never see this day — a day like so many dark days in Eastern Europe that led to the death of my [Protestant minister] great grandfather at the hands of communists who also hated and wanted to destroy religion.”

Of course it would be wonderful for the Clinton campaign to repudiate the content of these ugly WikiLeaks emails. All of us backward-thinking Catholics who actually believe what Scripture and the Church teach would be so very grateful.

In the meantime, a friend describes the choice facing voters in November this way: A vulgar, boorish lout and disrespecter of women, with a serious impulse control problem; or a scheming, robotic liar with a lifelong appetite for power and an entourage riddled with anti-Catholic bigots.

In a nation where “choice” is now the unofficial state religion, the menu for dinner is remarkably small.

No intelligent person thinks that Catholics are backwards and unthinking.

But Catholics themselves, like all intimately close groups, play inside baseball. The have differing opinions. They squabble about what is right and what is wrong. Twas ever thus.

The email that caused all this chatter included a lifelong, practicing Catholic on the thread.

Hillary Clinton is also a lifelong, practicing Christian. Many of her (“scandalous” and deeply boring) emails support that fact.

Ir’s very difficult to believe that she’s all about killing religious liberty. That belief just doesn’t pass the reality test.

Could you be so kind, as to guide us to some of those deeply boring emails, that support Mrs. Clinton’s lifelong practice of Christianity? Thank you, in advance.

It’s not difficult at all, the Obama Administration and Democrats have been hostile to the teachings of Christ that marriage is between a man and a woman and the sanctity of life re: abortion, for quite some time.

Says it all really…

These LGBT activists and pro-choice activists have adopted a ‘persecuted complex’ in regards to the Church, and they see themselves as having been on the march to ‘freedom’ from ‘persecution’.

I see no reason why they would be tolerant of those who are not on board with their views of equality and justice.

After all, I’ve always found it nonsensical when people here argued for so called ‘equality’ when it comes to same sex marriage, and at the same time try to insist that those who disagree will not eventually be forced to comply. If same sex marriage is ‘equality’ than the teaching that marriage is between a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others is ‘discrimination’.

I hope this has helped

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

Your not fooling me, I can see the writing on the wall and it’s been happening for some time now, the Obama Administration has increasingly become hostile to any form of Christianity that holds true to the teachings of Christ on marriage and the family and pro-life issues.

After all, I’ve always found it nonsensical that one could argue ‘equality’ and at the same time argue that religious liberty would still be upheld after implying by that very same argument we are ‘discriminating’ by our very beliefs.

They even compare the teaching that marriage is between a man and a woman to that of the Ku Klux Klan.

Clearly there is unfinished business, while ever those unthinking, backwards Christians continue to adhere to the teachings of Christ on marriage and the family and pro-life. They seem to think they will never get the full ‘equality’ and ‘justice’ that they seek.

Why do people act like this is a surprise? Is there anything in Clinton’s words or actions that has not indicated all along that this is how she feels?

The media don’t report it, and people are constantly bombarded with how this ‘revolution’ is nothing to be feared, but just about more freedom for everybody, and that they are fine with you continuing to hold your personal beliefs, and constant appeals to separation of Church and State etc etc.

Oh; the word games they play. I struggle to get my head around half of them.

Anyway, I sure hope Trump and the Republicans win this election.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

For example, I still remember the constant arguments “How will allowing two people of the same sex marry affect you?”

So most people reply ‘whatever’ :shrug: Then we find out they are pushing programs such as ‘safe schools’ which is a radical gender theory program telling kids that no one can tell them they are a boy or a girl etc all under the guise of an anti bullying program, and anyone who objects to ‘safe schools program’ well … how horrible and despicable must they be to be objecting to the safety of kids in school?

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

Podesta should practice harder as clearly he’s failed to grasp several of the fundamentals of the game of Catholicism. Examples include nonnegotiable support for the end to abortion and support for strengthening traditional marriage.

Oh…and not supporting contrived political organizations meant to undermine the Church.

In addition, my understanding is that organizations are not supposed to use “Catholic” in their title without a bishop approving of the organization. Clearly that’s not a law but as a “practicing Catholic” I though Podesta might respect that.

Whenever I see this quote taken out of context I wish the entire context would be posted. If you read the entire context you will see that Hillary was speaking to an international gathering of women, and was addressing the plight of women and girls around the world, particularly in areas where there is the greatest discrimination. Here is a larger quote of the words you took out of context:

Yes, we've nearly closed the global gender gap in primary school, but secondary school remains out of reach for so many girls around the world. Yes, we've increased the number of countries prohibiting domestic violence, but still more than half the nations in the world have no such laws on the books, and an estimated one in three women still experience violence. Yes, we've cut the mortality rate in half, but far too many women are still denied critical access to reproductive health care and safe childbirth.
All the laws we've passed don't count for much if they're not enforced. Rights have to exist in practice, not just on paper. Laws have to be backed up with resources and political will. And deep seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases have to be changed.
As I have said, and as I believe, the advancement of the full participation of women and girls in every aspect of their societies is the great unfinished business of the twenty-first century, and not just for women but for everyone — and not just in far away countries but right here in the United States."

That first paragraph (which is always omitted when quoting her) forms the basis for the second paragraph. The laws and progress she refers to are laws that prohibit domestic violence, laws that make education available for girls as well as boys. The religious beliefs and structural biases she refers to are the religious beliefs and structural biases that oppose such laws. As I said, this was an** international **gathering of women. One does not have to think too long to think of countries where religious beliefs have severely oppressed women. And it is not Christianity that fosters those twisted beliefs, so it is unreasonable to think Hillary was specifically targeting Christianity. Before you use this quote again, please remember to use it in its proper context so as not to be misleading.

I’m not naïve, what do you believe ‘reproductive health’ is all about? Should be easy, Planned Parenthood refer to it as ‘reproductive health’ all the time.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

For those countries where women are severely oppressed by their culture, reproductive health is many things, including prenatal care. But I see you conveniently ignored all the other issues Clinton raised in her talk.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.