About to accept Catholicism - realizing a big stumbling block

After realizing my beloved Baptist church is not “The Church”, I have been working on things a lot. (BTW - I still Love the people at that church - the Catholic Church could use a lot of what they have!)

While listening to Peter Kreeft’s conversion story, and a lot of my own study, I am starting to see my biggest objection - many that attend and administrate in our local Catholic Church are not very Catholic!

The funny thing is - on some issues I think I can find more protestants that agree with Catholic teaching than Catholics that I know. I have to study the doctrine, not the local practice.

I’ll probably be back to pester you all more, just wanting to share an AH-HA moment.

Have a wonderful day all and God Bless!

Marc

Yep. There are weeds mixed in among the wheat.

Matthew 13
24 Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26 When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

27 “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’

28 “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied.

“The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’

29 “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”

Just make sure that YOU are in the field belonging to God.

And I know a ton of Baptists who aren’t very Baptist. They go to church, but they also cohabit, drink, and dance. Some others I know rarely go to church but post stuff all the time on FB about Jesus.

Yes, they all claim to be Baptists-- the predominant affiliation in my old home town and many of my extended family and childhood friends are “Baptists”.

So, that’s what we call: original sin.

I don’t really see an obstacle here, because in any group of people you are going to find people all over the continuum. It’s a journey, not a destination. Sinners are everywhere, that’s the point of the church in the first place.

We need to remember that the Church is a “hospital for sinners not a museum for saints.”

The Church has, as it’s Head Jesus Christ has, a dual nature–human and divine. In her divinity the Church is perfect. However, her human side is still struggling with her sins. We are striving to “grow into the full stature of Christ.” That’s a process of purification that each of us is going through. Some of us are farther along than others, but we’re all in the same boat–that of St. Peter’s.

Some will desert it, some will try to steer it themselves, and others will trust the Captain. But as the baptized in Christ we, each of us, are his and will be judged by him. It’s up to each of us to be faithful and to help others struggling with their faith not abandon them because they don’t live up to our standards of what makes a good Catholic. :wink:

As a Baptist you’ve lived a very individualistic way of believing and acting as a Christian. Catholicism is a communal faith in which all are welcome to participate and all are to help others (look into the Seven Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy). Now, that doesn’t always happen, I know, but that’s the concept. Our worship is communal, we celebrate the same feast days and recite the same creeds (there being various forms which in essence say the same things). It’s a matter of what we believe and practice not just what I believe and practice.

Yes don’t make the mistake of judging the Faith by the behavior of the “faithful”. Our Lord came to call sinners and consequently his Church is full of them. They are all on their spiritual journey towards the holiness Christ calls us to. Some have progressed more than others, and others still are making little or no progress because they put little or no effort into it. The Lord warned us that there would be wolves in the sheepfold and weeds amongst the wheat.

There is little doubt that some non-catholics are having more success on this journey and are living good and faithful lives. Their Churches all contain many or some of the truths Christ revealed but the Catholic Church has the fullness of that truth. In short the Catholic Church is the road the Lord built and wants us all to travel upon. This is nothing for us to be smug about (as we often are) as we are only Catholic by the grace and mercy of our Lord and not because we deserved it through anything we have done.

Merry Christmas

I’ll pray for you on the journey…thank you for posting! :signofcross:

Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year.

I know exactly what you are talking about. It was one of the things which I had to come to terms with prior to moving over. One of the saddest aspects is those of us who come over have usually done A LOT of study about the Catholic faith and had to work through many spiritual and emotional challenges on our way. Most of us made a very intentional decision to join the Catholic Church and it can be disappointing to see those who have been given this gift from birth to take pleasure in speaking against it.

I can tell you, coming up on the first year of making the decision and taking action to come over, I am still quite pleased about making the move. As you mentioned, I just decided to go with the doctrine and not worry about how others practice their faith. The teaching is there for any who choose to accept it, and I have a huge amount of gratitude that it is available for me to live out.

Good luck in your journey!

I think the problem is that when Protestants originally split they did so because they were going to make a church free of sin and error. At least that’s what Luther and Calvin and King Henry all kind of had in common. There were abuses, and wrongs, in general sin in the Catholic Church so they were gonna make it right, they were going to set up a church that didn’t have sin in it.

Well the problem is that it’s a human organization and everything we humans touch is finite, and disposed to sin. Remember how it is taught in the Bible, we are the clay pot, easily broken, ugly and not worth much, but the pearl, the divine message that is put inside, that’s what counts.

Were Luther, Calvin, King Henry or any of the thousands of Protestant denominations successful? No. Are there wrongs in the Catholic Church? Yes. Should Catholics be more engaged and “Catholic”? Yes.

If you want the real down to earth on this, read a book or pick up a cd by Catholic lighthouse media, I think it’s called The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic but I’m not sure. Author is Matthew Kelly, he gets right to the heart of this issue.

Hey Markie!
I know what you mean but the truth is that when you really start to get to know n-Cs you will find that they are no different. There will be a few who share their faith and study to show themselves approved but the rest are just sittin’ in the pews pretty much and if asked why they believe what they believe you get answers like I often did…“Because preacher says so” :eek: That’s just the way it is.

Has it occurred to you that these folks may be one of the reasons that Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ is calling you into His church? To help them?

We are all the Church Militant, and just as some soldiers in a conflict are more skilled and courageous than others and some even fall, they are all still members of their unit and have to help each other and build each other up in order to accomplish their mission.

As you are studying keep in mind that all this is not “just for your sole benefit” (to steal a line from Tolkien’s Gandalf to Bilbo Baggins) but so that you may be of good use to the church and the Kingdom of God. You and I get talents and we will account for how we used them. Remember: ***"******Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more." (Luke 12:48)
***[FONT=Georgia]Now you really have an ah- ha, don’tcha?:slight_smile:
[/FONT]

Some great things have been said, and I think many of the adult converts on here can address it far better than I can. Right now I’ll just say I’m glad to see you posting here and giving us a status update. I will pray for you, and may God bless you.

Indeed. :thumbsup: And you have my prayers, too Markie Boy. :crossrc:

The funny thing is - on some issues I think I can find more protestants that agree with Catholic teaching than Catholics that I know. I have to study the doctrine, not the local practice.

I think Oscar Wilde’s quote applies that Catholic Church is “for saints and sinners alone. For respectable people, the Anglican Church will do”

Encountered the same. There are those who do not see the church in crisis, pollyannas. Then there are the church militant, ever vigilant, ever striving, God bless them.

Do not make the mistake of looking to the right or to the left, as Peter did as he sunk. Rather look to the Lord alone and let Him call you; let Him save you.

If those around you are not very Christian, then it is clear that the Lord is calling you to be their example.

Yes, I remember that feeling too… the shock that not all Catholics were very Catholic. :eek:

God bless you Markie Boy as you seek to do His will. :thumbsup:

Bingo.

Felt like this ever since I started reading Markie’s posts. I think the Lord wants him for a special purpose in the Catholic Church. Just my opinion of course.

Thanks Lenten_ashes, and Church Militant, and others…again.:slight_smile:

It seems I get this response a lot, that the Lord wants me for this purpose, but I don’t go looking for it, so I kinda scratch my head when I keep hearing it.

I have been a fisherman my whole life - I love fishing! It’s a hobby that was really a passion/obsession - but it now pales in comparison to my desire to serve Him - that’s saying something! But I want a home in the faith.

And more than anything I want to serve Him, and do it well. When you all give me encouragement, I think you serve Him well:thumbsup:.

Thanks, God Bless, and Merry Christmas!
Marc

As the saying goes… If you find the perfect Church, don’t join, you’ll ruin it!

Prayers for you as you take the next step!

Just like Peter! Got to be a sign lol

I’m in a similar position. I’m supposed to be doing something for the Church but I don’t know what yet.

Keep trucking my friend.

Merry Christmas.

Because we are all sinners…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.