About Vocation

Hello my mind is really busy with this question:Can I be a priest?.I have homosexual tendecies,and im super determined to remain celibate(i mean no sexual relationships in any ways) can i be a priest? I cant see myself happy doing anything else,and i wanna be a shepherd to our almighty Lord's sheeps.I always dream of it.Can't i be a priest?Is it impossible?

Talk to the vocation director of your diocese.

In November 2005, the Vatican completed an Instruction Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Seminary and to Holy Orders. Publication was made through the Congregation for Catholic Education. According to the new policy, men with "transitory" homosexual leanings may be ordained deacons following three years of prayer and chastity. However, men with "deeply rooted homosexual tendencies" or who are sexually active cannot be ordained. No new moral teaching was contained in the instruction: the instruction proposed by the document is rather towards enhancing vigilance in barring homosexuals from seminaries, and from the priesthood. As the title of the document indicates, it concerned exclusively candidates with homosexual tendencies, not other candidates.
The Catechism distinguishes between homosexual acts and homosexual tendencies. Regarding acts, it teaches that Sacred Scripture presents them as grave sins. The Tradition has constantly considered them as intrinsically immoral and contrary to the natural law. Consequently, under no circumstance can they be approved.....In the light of such teaching, this Dicastery, in accord with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, believes it necessary to state clearly that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question, cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practise homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or support the so-called "gay culture

I have homosexual tendecies since i was a child,from that,i assume im not in that ‘transitory’ part.So,does that mean that i cant be ordained?

you are setting yourself up for a lot of negative feedback , your best bet is as first put to talk to a vocations director and find a spiritual director as well, both who should be priests.

and if someone is going to quote to you something out of the CC or Canon law make sure to ask for where you can find it in the specific relevant book or ask for a link to take you to it online.

[quote="ChiefShepherd, post:4, topic:325059"]
I have homosexual tendecies since i was a child,from that,i assume im not in that 'transitory' part.So,does that mean that i cant be ordained?

[/quote]

Aside from getting a priest spiritual director and speaking to the diocesan vocations director who should be a priest as well, concentrate on emulating the angels. Utilize the green scapular, st benedict medal, rosary, and the sacrament of reconciliation for your tendencies.

Are you able to account for all of your childhood? Molestation in childhood usually sets the course for promiscuity, etc.

Look up Marie Mediatrice. She is the one to whom I usually refer persons experiencing same-sex attraction.

Blessings,
Cloisters

I am very sure of my childhood.I had my father figure,a loving father,kind,a good family space,and no child abuse.Thats why i don't consider therapy..But im very passionate about this,its the most important thing for me at this time in my life and im from a muslim country so i know that it will be hard but again,i dont care.I pray to god every night about this.I want it.Its not ambition and im really concerned that i wont be able to be accepted to the seminary..Arent there anyone that have SSA and is in the seminary that you know or that is in the forum? (Sorry 'bout my bad english...)

The criteria is whether or not you can control the impulses. If you think sharing living quarters with a bunch of other guys is going to knock you off the wagon, so to say, then probably not.

I have worked with vocations who have SSA. Women usually have a worse time around the ovulation part of their cycle. This is because their hormones are driving them crazy, but during other parts of the cycle, they are ok. Once they recognize that, it's a mind-over-matter deal: if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. The temptations are no more than wind passing your face when going at high speed.

Can you look at Our Lord or a male saint without lusting? Try to develop a greater respect for others. If you don't like being lusted after, then imagine what a righteous person would feel if you lusted after them. If one gives in to temptation, imagine the outcry. Then you're out of a job.

Keep in mind that pagans lust after the same sex as worship of their foreign gods. This should lend some perspective.

Blessings,
Cloisters

[quote="Cloisters, post:8, topic:325059"]
The criteria is whether or not you can control the impulses. If you think sharing living quarters with a bunch of other guys is going to knock you off the wagon, so to say, then probably not.

I have worked with vocations who have SSA. Women usually have a worse time around the ovulation part of their cycle. This is because their hormones are driving them crazy, but during other parts of the cycle, they are ok. Once they recognize that, it's a mind-over-matter deal: if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. The temptations are no more than wind passing your face when going at high speed.

Can you look at Our Lord or a male saint without lusting? Try to develop a greater respect for others. If you don't like being lusted after, then imagine what a righteous person would feel if you lusted after them. If one gives in to temptation, imagine the outcry. Then you're out of a job.

Keep in mind that pagans lust after the same sex as worship of their foreign gods. This should lend some perspective.

Blessings,
Cloisters

[/quote]

Actually i am living quarters with a bunch of other guys now,and im fine with it.Im trying to see people not as male and female.I see them all like 'people'.If I have really thought that i couldnt make it,i wouldnt even consider being a priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.