Abraham's test?

Abraham was ordered by God to kill Isaac. He proceeded to do so but was eventually stopped by God when he passed the obedience test. God is supposed to know the future. So He would have known ahead of time that Abraham would comply. So what was the point of going through that little charade when He already knew the outcome? The Bible implies God was testing Abraham. It’s no test if you know the outcome, it would seem to be just a waste of God’s time. And it probably traumatized Abraham and left him wondering about God’s motives. Some have said it was to give Abraham the experience of being committed to fully doing God’s will. Sounds like a made up excuse for another of the Old Testament irrational acts on god’s part.

God knew that Abraham would obey but Abraham did not: and a choice he did know he would make, he cannot be said to have made.
After Abraham chose to obey, it was credited to him, because he has actually gone through with it.

God wasn’t testing Abraham because He was curious what would happen, God tested him because Abraham was not confident that he had that much faith within him. God made this difficult request to draw the best out of Abraham.

God had big plans for Abraham, he didn’t put him to the test to see if Abraham was the man for the job, he put him to the test so Abraham could see for himself that he was the man for the job.

This is the very reason God gives us crosses in our lives each and every day. So we can see for ourselves if we have what it takes to pick up our crosses and follow Jesus.

Abraham didn’t know the outcome which was the point of the test.

I’ve heard it taught that Abraham had faith, in God, that he wouldn’t lose his son. It’s been said that he probably wasn’t traumatized because he knew deep in his heart that no matter what the outcome God would make it right.

You are free to have this opinion. But if you want to fully understand maybe try looking at the bigger picture, of how this fits within salvation history before coming to this conclusion.

God Bless

It’s no test if the person being tested knows the outcome. But it’s not God who’s being tested here, it’s Abraham. The SATs are still a test, even though the people who set them already know the answers.

I think what you are missing is that the test was not for God’s edification, but rather for Abraham’s.

These things are written for our benefit, the people to come after.
Many people through the centuries have gone through difficult things and were comforted and encouraged by these words.

While in this life we only see the back of an embroidery with all the colors and strings and knots. It’s on the other side that we see the mastery of it all.

How do I know God is not irrational? because I can see God’s handiwork in all of creation. Everything on the molecular level, to the balance of ecosystems, to the order found in the planets and stars, reveals the order, harmony, and beauty of God, an intelligent design. Everything working, humming like a well tended engine, and alive at the same time. Anyone not biased against a loving God can see it.

God is your loving father. You are missing out on the adventure of that truth with every day that goes by. Stop what you’re doing. Do not waste another day.

Throughout the Old Testament, which stretches over centuries of humanity, we see something incredible. Little snapshots of Christ. Abraham and Isaac contains these images, of a son, wood on his shoulders, the father walking with him, knowing that death was waiting at the top of the hill. The words for us are there… God will provide the Lamb.

That brief moment in time was pointing forward to the day when Christ, the Lamb of God, proclaimed by John the Baptist, has come into the world. All of those lambs, slain for the sins of mankind, pointed to the one true Lamb whose sacrifice was sufficient, more than sufficient, to open heaven for us.

So many moments in the Old Testament point to the One who was to come. That is because there is One Author, who was present through the centuries, who was looking to open heaven and welcome us home. One Author. Christ has fulfilled all the prophecies that pointed to him. There is a Divine Plan, and it includes us. Don’t miss out on being a part of the plan. We only have this one life. Love God and see where it takes you.

God was ordering Abraham to do something evil .

Abraham agreed to do something evil .

There’s something wrong in this somewhere .

If Abraham had said “No” to this “God” I would have respected him more , rather than holding him up as some kind of hero .

I have heard another interpretation of this.

The ordering to sacrifice Isaac was a prophecy that it would be God who would sacrifice His son instead of man (Abraham) sacrificing his son (Isaac). This was why the sacrifice of Abraham’s was stopped because it was never meant to be that way.

This scene points to a future event which will take place on the Cross with the ultimate sacrifice.

I’m just curious. Do you consider abortion as evil?

When I took classes on the Books of Moses, I learned of the theory of different sources that it came from. The Yawhist (and earliest) version of the life of Issac does not have his sacrifice. The Elohist version includes the sacrifice, but without an angel to stop it. The two are merged in the current. This from St. Paul may help to understand, Hebrews 11:17-19

17 By faith Abraham, when put to the test, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was ready to offer his only son, 18 of whom it was said, “Through Isaac descendants shall bear your name.” 19 He reasoned that God was able to raise even from the dead, and he received Isaac back as a symbol.

Of course .

The test was for Abraham’s; sake and the sake of all of us who would know of it later. Abraham understood the reality and strength of his own faith, his own trust in God, and of the reality of God, Himself, in no more profound way than he did after the fact.

The test was for Abraham’s benefit, not God’s. Besides, I think Isaac was a type of Jesus. He was to be sacrificed by his father and he, the innocent victim, carried the wood for his own sacrifice.

It’s important to note that in the interlinear for the passage in Genesis it has God saying, “Now I know…” I suspect this will be another case of “The Bible says X but it means not X.”

God is omniscient:
‘By this we shall know that we are of the truth, and reassure our hearts before him, whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.’ 1 John 3:19-20

I don’t think so. It seems to be an angel speaking and possibly that’s from the view of the angel. I looked at the interlinear for the verse preceding the one you cited and also has the “angel of the LORD”. (I’m using LORD in a similar way as those who adhere to Judaism).

After these things God tested Abraham and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here am I.” **He said, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.” -Gen 22:1-2

Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here am I.” He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.” -Gen 22:10-12

Doing what God commands is loving God above the things of the world – is not evil.

Doing what God commands is loving God above the things of the world – is not evil.
[/quote]

But child sacrifice is not loving God .

Child sacrifice is evil .

Maybe, He have known WAY WAY ahead of time that WE will read about this beautiful story of obedience and faith in 2018. Maybe He did it for us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.