Absolution for non Catholics

I am a Catholic who is dating a non Catholic, she has decided to go through RCIA courses; however, we will not enroll until next year for it. We’ve talked Catechism many times, and she understands what is a mortal sin, what makes one, and what sins are included within. We have both committed mortal sins, but I can receive confession. How am I supposed to help her receive absolution? What does the Church teach in this instance? Does she have to wait until she is initiated? She is baptized a Lutheran. She never attended because her parents were non practicing. She never received any catechism up until I introduced her to the Catholic Church?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I apologize if this is the wrong forum sub section.

TruthSeeker3198888 asks** : "How am I supposed to help her receive absolution?
What does the Church teach in this instance? **

I think there is NO way for you (personally) to Help your girlfriend to receive Absolution.

She is NOT a member of the Catholic Church**;** therefore she can’t possibly receive Absolution (which comes from Confessing all of her Mortal Sins to a Priest), until she has started taking the RCIA class.
You have reported that she will NOT take these classes until (at least) NEXT Year.
And, even then, she will have to COMPLETE those Courses before she will “allowed” to go to Confession.
And, only in Confession can a Catholic receive Absolution for committing Mortal Sins.

(Of course, there is always the possibility that she could make such a heart-felt confession of Guilt to God that He will grant her Absolution for all of her Mortal Sins. But, then, since God doesn’t talk much, she wouldn’t know that she had received that Absolution.)

So, in response to your first question : You cannot (and should not) Help her receive Absolution.

And, in response to your second question, as I have stated above, the Church rules are very strict, and they will NOT be changed by Pope Francis just for your girlfriend.

I’ll answer shortly as Im not interested in duplicating a previous answer I gave to a similar thread of yours on a other sub forum at this page.

My short advise is to bring up the subject with a priest and listen to him and follow his advice.

Yours in Jesus and Mary

• MarianCatholic

If she asked for forgiveness from Jesus, knowing how seriously she has wronged Him in His Majesty, promising with all her heart and intent not to repeat the sin, then surely Jesus has promised her forgiveness as He promised the woman caught in adultery, even before she requested it; or the parable of the prodigal son, or St. Peter after his denials, or the man lowered from the roof, or the good thief… the list goes on.
She may not receive absolution as is confirmed to us with all the graces to strengthen us through confession, but all protestants can be forgiven if their contrition is heartfelt in the recognition of the insult to the Glory of God.

Petaro said** : “If she asked for forgiveness from Jesus, knowing how seriously she has wronged Him in His Majesty, promising with all her heart and intent not to repeat the sin, then surely Jesus has promised her forgiveness.”**

Just HOW Sure are you about this ONE?
It sounds like you are attempting to recreate the very LIMITED condition that a person can use to TRY to get Absolution.
If so, you really ought to spell it out . . . and that this is NOT Automatic (and, they will NEVER KNOW for sure if God exercised His discretion to perform such an Act.

It looks to me like you are offering him False Hope?
And, this is WORSE than not having any real hope.
It is a form of Fraud upon the OP.
And** : “She may not receive absolution as is confirmed to us … but all protestants can be forgiven if their contrition is heartfelt in the recognition of the insult to the Glory of God.”**

And, upon what Evidence do you declare this?
There are Protestant denominations that absolutely do NOT believe that to be True.
Many denominations demand that a person be Baptized before God will forgive Sins.
And, actually, the Catholic Church teaches that too.

Beyond that, the OP’s girlfriend is NOT a Protestant at all.
She has NEVER been to Church (or Sunday School), and her parents didn’t try to teach her about Protestantism … so that CAN’T be the definition of a Protestant.

I don’t believe that I am offering false hope at all. I just look at the Jesus of the Gospels and find a God running from His home to reach the Prodigal quicker. I find the Shepherd who leaves the ninety nine and never ceases His search until He finds the one lost sheep. I see a loving Father who kills the fattened lamb and celebrates the return of His son. I see a Jesus who knows when a sparrow falls and knows and cares for all His children. I look at my Jesus and find a God who forgives Seventy times seven and more. The Scriptures abound in the mercy of our God, and I rely on it every day of my life.
I do not believe in a God who condemns the majority of the world’s population that have not had the opportunity of Baptism of water. I believe in the possibility of Baptism of Desire.
We will not have the certainty of forgiveness and grace we are gifted in the Sacrament of Reconciliation that Jesus in His mercy has granted to His true Church.
However, given the immensity of the love shown by our risen Christ and the signs that He rushes to the contrite then I don’t believe His compassion and forgiveness is restricted to Catholics.

But, just to be clear this is your own personal opinion. Not the Church’s stance right?

And in reading scripture and the seriousness of sin and Hell, I as a Catholic am allowed to disagree with your view and take a narrower stricter and alternate view when this Same Jesus, and this same God speak often of hell, sin and judgement. Right?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.