Absolution of the Dead and the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite

I just wana ask if the rite of Absolution of the Dead is permitted in the context of the Ordinary Form of the Mass (i.e., Mass for the Dead).

Can a catafalque still be used in the Mass for the Dead in the Ordinary Form?

Do you mean the funeral Mass, or any “Mass for the dead”?
In either case though the answer would be no, because it’s not in the current text.

Can a catafalque still be used in the Mass for the Dead in the Ordinary Form?

Yes. Sort of…
It could not be “used” for anything. It’s not a specicically liturgical item if it’s used in the Ordinary Form. Without belittling the catafalque, in the OF it would simply be a “decoration” in the nave.

I know many parishes used it when Pope John Paul II died.

I was referring to the Mass for the Dead; not a funeral mass. Thanks for the info.

Additionally, since the Absolute happens outside of the Mass, coorect me if I am wrong, isnt it possible that it will be imported from EF to OF? I just wonder if this is allowed.

Honestly, I dont see the point of disallowing it in the OF while it is allowed in the EF; it is one and the same Rite after all.

While I agree in principle, we have to keep in mind that Pope Benedict, in stating that the EF coud continue to be used, also stated that the mixing of the two forms was not to be done. In theory, the pope could approve new versions of the OF to include more elements of the EF–certainly. But that hasn’t happened, and unless/until it does, we can’t mix the two.

This is different from saying (for example) that a pastor could do the EF form of Baptism immediately after an OF Mass–which would be fine; the reason being that the absolution was/is part of, or at least intimately linked to, the traditional Mass for the dead, and this would be taking things a bit too far.

I don’t know anything about this which has made me curious.
What is Absolution of the Dead? Surely only the living can be absolved. If we die in a state of mortal sin we go to Hell and can’t be absolved. Its too late when we are dead.

It’s not an absolution in the sacramental sense, but is more to the point of being a commendation for the soul of the departed that he/she may enter paradise, and the prayer itself is followed by the singing of the in paradisum.

Such is not unique to the EF: the Syriac Churches have something quite similar, and I believe the Byzantines do as well.

thanks FrDavid96.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.