absolution

I went to absolution today and for pennance father told me to say the joyful mysteries. Today being thursday is the day for the luminous mysteries isn’t it? I wonder why he would want me to say the joyful? But it’s done.

Maybe because not everyone uses the Luminous Mysteries?

The luminous mysterious are optional, right?

I do them all. One a day for 5 days. Are you supposed to pick your favorite?

All Mysteries are optional. The Rosary, while highly recommended, is not required to be prayed. If anyone wants to pray the same Mystery every day that is up to them.

It doesn’t matter why he wanted you to pray a particular Mystery. You simply have to be obedient and do it (as you did).

Maybe there is a meditation in one of the Joyful Mysteries that he wanted you to focus on in particular. As PP said, be obedient.

He must have wanted you to meditate on those mysteries. It is perfectly fine to do any of the mysteries on a different day than the suggested one. Maybe something will come to you as you pray.

You can meditate on any of the mysteries on any day, and some would recommend doing all of them every day. Your Confessor may have had a reason for you to meditate on those specific ones.

But before Blessed Pope John Paul II recommended changes to the Rosary, the order went:
Mondays and Thursdays, and Sundays from the First Sunday of Advent until Lent: the Joyful Mysteries
Tuesdays and Fridays, and the Sundays of Lent: the Sorrowful Mysteries
Wednesdays and Saturdays, and the Sundays from Easter until Advent: the Glorious Mysteries

Maybe your Confessor is used to the old order.

God Bless!:slight_smile:

The penance is to do with the sins confessed. Think about the content of your confession and think about each mystery, you may figure out the reason. For example, the first Joyful Mystery may be to do with obedience and following God’s will, the second Joyful Mystery may be to do with charity and relationship with others, etc…

How do you know the fruit of each one? Are the fruits the same for all or does Mary request what Jesus or God would want? I’m going to make this my prayer and I guess there’s a consecration you do for 33 days. I do lectio divina too.

Good point :slight_smile:

Personally I see the meaning as the following, there could be other perspectives.

1. The Annunciation – Obedience to God’s will and humility
  2. The Visitation – Charity, love for neighbor
  3. The Nativity of the Lord – Poor in the spirit, detachment from the world
  4. Presentation – Piety, following the commandments
  5. Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple – Finding Jesus in our daily lives

I did that for a while.

Why?

To help me memorize the mysteries. :blush:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.