Abuse?

During Mass , after the first reading a person goes up to the ambo and sings the Responsorial Psalm. Is this okay?

It’s more than okay, it’s the way it should be done. All the scripture in the Liturgy of the Word should be proclaimed from the ambo. I’ll leave it to the next responder to provide the citation.

Betsy

From the General Instruction of the Roman Missal source]:

1. After the first reading comes the responsorial Psalm, which is an integral part of the Liturgy of the Word and holds great liturgical and pastoral importance, because it fosters meditation on the word of God.

The responsorial Psalm should correspond to each reading and should, as a rule, be taken from the Lectionary.

It is preferable that the responsorial Psalm be sung, at least as far as the people’s response is concerned. Hence, the psalmist, or the cantor of the Psalm, sings the verses of the Psalm from the ambo or another suitable place. The entire congregation remains seated and listens but, as a rule, takes part by singing the response, except when the Psalm is sung straight through without a response. In order, however, that the people may be able to sing the Psalm response more readily, texts of some responses and Psalms have been chosen for the various seasons of the year or for the various categories of Saints. These may be used in place of the text corresponding to the reading whenever the Psalm is sung. If the Psalm cannot be sung, then it should be recited in such a way that it is particularly suited to fostering meditation on the word of God.

Why would it NOT be okay?

Yeah, I wanted to ask that myself.

Are reverent, by-the-book liturgies so rare today that when something is done correctly, people assume there’s a problem because they’re not used to seeing it done right? Or have there been so many cries of “Abuse!” here (often when seeing something that is correct, but an option that may not be frequently employed) that people tend to hit the alarm a little too quickly?

Bingo!

Bingo squared.

I think it’s b, above.

It is my opinion that until a person has read the GIRM themselves and studied it under the tutelage of an expert clergyman and been pronounced “competent” by that clergyman, they have no right to seek out abuses and spread rumors and unrest among their Catholic brothers and sisters. It is much too easy for laymen to misread or misinterpret the GIRM, or to miss one of the many “exceptions,” or to read your own personal preferences into the GIRM when it’s not really there at all.

To me, laymen making pronouncements about the GIRM and the liturgy is like non-microbiologists trying to prescribe antibiotics for something that might possibly be a bacterial infection. Good way to die.

Cat, I was hoping you’d chime in. Your wise comment comes from the “A little knowledge is a dangerous thing” department.

Betsy

Well, the way I see it is that if to anyone with wisdom, my comments are ignorant, that’s just proof that I don’t have the knowledge, experience, or discernment to correctly evaluate a Mass for abuses.

I had never seen in it before, and it just looked strange that a person from the choir got in the sanctuary and began to sing.

Not many have this kind of humility! :slight_smile:

Yes, it does look strange the first time. I am a cantor myself, and it was decided months ago that I should do the same thing. I just keep forgetting. I’m thinking I’ll start to do it right on the first Sunday of Advent - new year, new procedure!

Betsy

Thanks to everybody who responded:thumbsup:. I’m just 15 and had never seen that before.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.