Acceptable Mass intentions

Seems like the most common reason for having a Mass said is for a departed person. Are other reasons acceptable? Can I have a Mass said for a relative who is alive but fighting a serious cancer battle?

[quote="Rachel126, post:1, topic:329969"]
Seems like the most common reason for having a Mass said is for a departed person. Are other reasons acceptable? Can I have a Mass said for a relative who is alive but fighting a serious cancer battle?

[/quote]

Of course you may, and if you wish to let her/him know, there are "Mass for the Living" cards which inform the person that you are offering a Mass for them.

Many people will come in and request a Mass for "a special intention" which only they know. That's how it's announced "For a special intention at the request of a donor".

[quote="Phemie, post:2, topic:329969"]
Of course you may, and if you wish to let her/him know, there are "Mass for the Living" cards which inform the person that you are offering a Mass for them.

Many people will come in and request a Mass for "a special intention" which only they know. That's how it's announced "For a special intention at the request of a donor".

[/quote]

Thanks. I will contact the office manager at my parish. I appreciate your help.

A Mass can be offered for any good intention.
If the doner wishes then this intention can be kept secret from the congregation. In that case it is often announced as a “Special Intention”. This is done when it is a very personal issue or could cause scandal among certain people or give the wrong impression.

[quote="theyoungmonk, post:4, topic:329969"]
In that case it is often announced as a "Special Intention". This is done when it is a very personal issue or could cause scandal among certain people or give the wrong impression.

[/quote]

In hindsight, that's probably what we should have done when my father-in-law died. We had a Mass said for him and, since he & my husband share the same name, were careful to add "Sr" after his name. However, people weren't so careful reading it and a few thought my husband had died. :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.