Accepting our Crosses

Is there a fine line between lifting up our crosses for 1) God’s sake and 2) blaming our situation so we can make excuses for poor performances?

Or, is just accepting it enough to lift it up in righteousness?

A Friend of the Cross is one chosen by God, from among thousands who live only according to their reason and senses, to be wholly divine, raised above mere reason and completely opposed to material things, living in the light of pure faith, and inspired by a deep love of the Cross.

ewtn.com/library/Montfort/LFCROSS.HTM

peace

Thanks. Checking out the link now.

I basically wrote this thread, because I knew a woman who has the same malady as me. But I believed that she was using her malady to make excuses for her sins. I was angry, because I have come across people like her, who blurt it out as if it’s to be proud of, or to get this, “oh well THEN…” from others, or even God.

I do not see how she could have been chosen by God, but then again, do not put the Lord to the test. I suppose, I believe that she is living according only to her senses. Who knows.

How can you expect to 1) Spam threads and 2) Use horrible language/attacks against people, and **not **get banned?

Stop victimizing yourself.

Remove the plank from your eye.

I would say that it is not a “fine line”, but a deep chasm that separates the two. The first a loving response to the circumstances. The second is response based on prideful selfishness

:thumbsup:

Matthew 6: . 5“When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

St Seraphim of Sarov

The Spiritual World

The spiritual world is gained by sorrows. The scriptures say: “We went through fire and through water: but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place” (Ps. 66:12). For those who desire to serve God the path lies through many sorrows. How can we praise the holy martyrs for the sufferings which they bore for God, when we cannot even bear a fever?

Nothing so aids the acquiring of internal peace as silence, and as much as is possible, continual discussion with oneself and rarely with others.

A sign of spiritual life is the immersion of a person within himself and the hidden workings within his heart.

It is necessary by all means to try to keep one’s spiritual peace, and not to become provoked by insults from others. To do this, it is necessary always to restrain oneself from anger, and by careful watch to guard the mind and heart from unclean waverings.

Insults from others must be borne without disturbance; one must train oneself to be of such a nature, that one can react to insults as if they did not refer to oneself. Such an exercise can bring serenity to our heart and make it a dwelling of God Himself.

If it is impossible not to become indignant, then at least restrain your tongue according to the words of the Psalmist: “I am so troubled that I cannot speak” (Ps. 77:4).

fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/seraphim_e.htm#n14

peace

This link is golden.

This one,

ewtn.com/library/Montfort/LFCROSS.HTM#I

I just saw there’s a new one posted :slight_smile:

Well said, and definitely something to reflect on.

I just printed out the material from the link about St. Seraphim of Sarov. After glancing over what he wrote about all matters of life on this earth, it will be tonight’s reading material when I retire. It is just what I needed today. Thank you.

I have recently noted that in Luke 22:43

43 And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him.

the angel could strengthen and comfort Him, but the angel could not share His agony. We can share the agony; like Simon, we can share the burden of His cross.

So did he go into a meditative state or something where Jesus spoke those words to him?

Are we in hell? It seems to me that the Cross is the punishment. He who accepts it is glorious in God’s eye - he is sorry.

Sorry for what, though. Our parents mistakes?

“let us settle our debts with good grace in this life by cheerfully carrying our cross.”

Seems like it is our punishment - to this guy, at least. That makes no sense.

I have suffered for 30 years. Why, what have I done? Is this because of Eve?

Which words?

We are in exile, the valley of tears. Jesus is glorious in Our Fathers eye.

peace

I have gotten about half-way, and there is a lot of quotation from Jesus.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.