Accessory to others sins?

I am getting scrupulous about this so I wanted to ask instead of going over it in my head and becoming more scrupulous. So, my parents owe restitution, quite a lot, and they don’t think they have to pay back so they are not making it. My problem is that since I am unemployed right now(I am still waiting for a license to come in the mail to work as an Emt), they are supporting me and paying my bills. It bothers me because I am going over in my head whether or not I am using their money that could otherwise go to restitution. However, in a way I know that the money has nothing to do with the sin of not making restitution but their decision of not doing it, because if they did want to they could pay for it and it’s not like I am consenting to their sin. So, I just want to make sure I am looking at it right? This has actually kept me from confession, and I will talk about it to my regular confessor but I wanted to get some relief in the moment. I really want to go to confession but this keeps popping up and bothering me.

This has nothing to do with you so you’re in the clear. You can’t be held accountable for the actions of someone else unless you guided them into it.

You’re not preventing your parents from paying restitution, because they refuse to do so regardless of your situation.

But even if they didn’t, and if they were in the process of paying restitution, I think perhaps they might have a legitimate reason to postpone doing so given your grave circumstances.

One does not have to go to extreme circumstances in order to pay restitution, but one does have to make strides in that direction.

Now, here’s the rub. My thinking on this could be spot on or it could be completely wrong. I’m not a priest, and I’m not a theologian, and neither are most folks 'round here. :slight_smile:

So you absolutely need to go to a priest, and to accept his guidance, especially insofar as determining your level of scrupulosity is concerned.

In the meantime, please pray for some peace about this, and tell Jesus that you put all of your trust in Him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.