Accidentally received sacrament

Ok this probably sounds dumb. I went to my second latin mass this sunday but it was the first latin mass I've been to in this specific church and the first time I've gone alone. I am starting RCIA next month and the teacher told me to start attending mass and I've always been drawn to the latin mass. Anyway I did not go up to receive communion but at the end of the service everyone got up and made a line to the priest and I couldn't tell what he was doing I thought he was just giving everyone a blessing. It turned out he was doing annointings but I didnt know until he got to me. I feel really bad. I asked my boyfriend and he said I didnt sin because I didnt know what I was doing and that it was a sacrament. Is there something I should do? Is this something I should eventually confess?

[quote="MadeAFace, post:1, topic:336093"]
Ok this probably sounds dumb. I went to my second latin mass this sunday but it was the first latin mass I've been to in this specific church and the first time I've gone alone. I am starting RCIA next month and the teacher told me to start attending mass and I've always been drawn to the latin mass. Anyway I did not go up to receive communion but at the end of the service everyone got up and made a line to the priest and I couldn't tell what he was doing I thought he was just giving everyone a blessing. It turned out he was doing annointings but I didnt know until he got to me. I feel really bad. I asked my boyfriend and he said I didnt sin because I didnt know what I was doing and that it was a sacrament. Is there something I should do? Is this something I should eventually confess?

[/quote]

I can't imagine this being a sacrament. You would be anointed with holy oil for say, the Anointing of the Sick. However, it doesn't make sense to do this for a whole congregation.

More likely, it was some sort of special anointing. In Eastern Catholicism/Orthodox, after some particular feasts everyone is anointed with oil.
Though, that's a sacramental and not a sacrament. :)

[/quote]

Hi, You did not receive a sacrament. There are seven sacarments of the Church.

[/quote]

I didnt know any better and received the Eucharist in 2003.

Live and learn, be grateful for this opportunity yet sorrowful for the breach in etiquette.

[quote="Domnall, post:2, topic:336093"]

More likely, it was some sort of special anointing. In Eastern Catholicism/Orthodox, after some particular feasts everyone is anointed with oil.
Though, that's a sacramental and not a sacrament. :)

[/quote]

I love holy oils! I wish they would do this in the Latin rite!

OP, it ok, it wasn't intentional and I doubt you received a Sacrament at all, just a sacramental, which are fine for a non-Catholic. Be at peace!

Are there different annointings besides annointing of the sick? While he did it he said a prayer to the Holy Spirit to guide me in my journey with Christ. Everyone in the church went up even small children so I assumed it was ok but then when I saw it was oil I wasn't sure.

Our priest/deacon sometimes anoint Catachumens to strengthen them on their journey to the font...although, since the priest anointed everyone, I have no idea what happened at the Mass you attended. At any rate, I wouldn't obsess over it. You're fine. And congratulations on your decision to join RCIA :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.