Accidentally received three Hosts, is that ok?

This is something that happened awhile ago but is still nagging me. I received Communion (in my hand), and as I picked up the Host with my other hand to consume it, I noticed it was two hosts stuck together. But by then the priest was already giving Communion to the next person in line, so I consumed them both rather than create a distraction by trying to give one back. I was also holding my baby when I went for Communion. Upon returning to my pew I noticed that a third Host was sitting on my baby’s leg, stuck to his clothes. No idea how it got there, but there it was. I quietly asked my husband what to do, he told me to eat it, so I did. I know that it’s forbidden to receive Communion more than twice a day, but in the moment I was nervous and didn’t know what else to do. Did I do the right thing?

Yes.

You did exactly the right thing. :thumbsup:

If you talk to the priest, you might, very politely, tell him this story to encourage him to be more careful to avoid dropping hosts.

Along that same line, before we had a church building and a tabernacle, the Deacon and other EMHC to consume the extra consecrated host after the last Sunday Mass. Because Father tried to keep the excess down, there we times when parishioners received only half our quarter pieces of the Blessed Host or the only the Blood. A the good old days in the “Chapel-teria” in the high school cafeteria.

I don’t think you need to dwell on this, OP - you did not do this deliberately.:thumbsup:

It actually doesn’t matter if you receive multiple Hosts or even part of a full Host, it’s perfectly canonical and still has the same Presence of Christ as receiving one full Host alone would.

And I should add, it’s good that you treated the Host stuck to the child’s leg reverently. Frankly I doubt most people would have the sense to do that.

Thrice Blessed! No problem. :thumbsup:

No, this is completely wrong. There are not more blessings to be had the greater the quantitiy of Host received, nor is there less a blessing from only a tiny piece.

You have completely the wrong idea, Linus.

[quote="isidora99, post:1, topic:302552"]
I know that it's forbidden to receive Communion more than twice a day, but in the moment I was nervous and didn't know what else to do. Did I do the right thing?

[/quote]

To be clear, you did not receive communion more than once. You attended one mass and received the eucharist once.

No you didn’t do anything wrong. I am a little confused as to how you received in the hand if you were holding your baby. Do you mean your baby was in some sort of wrap or carrier?

They'll stick together if it's been humid recently. That's why most parishes put unconsecrated host in tupperware if the package is open.

[quote="anp1215, post:10, topic:302552"]
No you didn't do anything wrong. I am a little confused as to how you received in the hand if you were holding your baby. Do you mean your baby was in some sort of wrap or carrier?

[/quote]

Although not appropriate, the OP may have received in the hand even if she was holding baby. I don't do this, but I've seen many parents do it, likely without any idea they are doing anything wrong. I only do differently because I found these forums shortly after my son was born.

Unfortunately, many parishioners don't even know that receiving on the tongue is an option, much less that it's safer if you're carrying a baby . I had to remind my husband that he could when he was holding our son, and after Mass he told me, "Wow, that's a LOT easier!"

[quote="silicasandra, post:12, topic:302552"]
Although not appropriate, the OP may have received in the hand even if she was holding baby. I don't do this, but I've seen many parents do it, likely without any idea they are doing anything wrong. I only do differently because I found these forums shortly after my son was born.

Unfortunately, many parishioners don't even know that receiving on the tongue is an option, much less that it's safer if you're carrying a baby . I had to remind my husband that he could when he was holding our son, and after Mass he told me, "Wow, that's a LOT easier!"

[/quote]

That's why I was asking. I didn't want to say "What do you mean you were holding your baby and received in the hand?" just in case the baby was in some sort of wrap. I always try to assume the best. But I know a lot of people don't know that they should receive on the tongue if one or both hands are full.

[quote="anp1215, post:13, topic:302552"]
That's why I was asking. I didn't want to say "What do you mean you were holding your baby and received in the hand?" just in case the baby was in some sort of wrap. I always try to assume the best. But I know a lot of people don't know that they should receive on the tongue if one or both hands are full.

[/quote]

No, the baby wasn't in a wrap, I was holding him in my arms with my hands free. It's a little awkward but I've never had any problems. I'm still fairly new to the Church (converted in 2010)
and 99% of the people at my parish receive in the hand, so I've just been following the crowd. I never knew it was wrong to receive in the hand while holding a child, since so many other people do it.

[quote="isidora99, post:14, topic:302552"]
No, the baby wasn't in a wrap, I was holding him in my arms with my hands free. It's a little awkward but I've never had any problems. I'm still fairly new to the Church (converted in 2010)
and 99% of the people at my parish receive in the hand, so I've just been following the crowd. I never knew it was wrong to receive in the hand while holding a child, since so many other people do it.

[/quote]

If one or both of your hands aren't free, it's proper to receive on the tongue. But you haven't done anything wrong since you didn't know. So don't feel bad. If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't know it was incorrect either. I've noticed when people do it, they kind of have to bend down and pick up the host off their palm with their mouth/tongue, or else maneuver it between their fingers to put it in their mouth. Receiving on the tongue would be much easier and more sanitary in that case anyway.

[quote="anp1215, post:15, topic:302552"]
If one or both of your hands aren't free, it's proper to receive on the tongue. But you haven't done anything wrong since you didn't know. So don't feel bad. If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't know it was incorrect either. I've noticed when people do it, they kind of have to bend down and pick up the host off their palm with their mouth/tongue, or else maneuver it between their fingers to put it in their mouth. Receiving on the tongue would be much easier and more sanitary in that case anyway.

[/quote]

Good to know, thanks :thumbsup:

Of course, it was just a figure of speech meant to remove all doubt or worry. :slight_smile:

When I used to help out with the Mass Coordinators in my old parish (as well as my priest who can't have too much gluten), it was customary for us to eat the leftover hosts after the final Sunday mass - this might amount to dozens of hosts and particles of unleavened bread. It's always good to keep in mind the Spirit of the Law - what is more important, that we are being reverent by not wanting the bread to be desecrated, or the numerical count of hosts we've consumed?

[quote="Linusthe2nd, post:17, topic:302552"]
Of course, it was just a figure of speech meant to remove all doubt or worry. :)

[/quote]

Just so you know, I got what you were trying to convey and I appreciated your kindness.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.