Accidentally Saying Sinful Words In Prayer

Hi, so… I have an issue when it comes to praying. It’s not just with praying, but praying is a part of it that bothers me most. When I pray, there’s thoughts in the back of my head, that are sinful and inappropriate. They’re not just “thoughts” really, but I guess I could also say there’s like a second person in my head. When I pray, sometimes somewhere in the back of my head is saying “I worship the devil”/“I worship Satan”, “F**** you”, etc. I don’t curse much outside of prayer, but I’m constantly praying (probably a health issue, but regardless, it bothers me). I also pray immediately afterwards to ask for forgiveness, because I would never truly say or mean those things in prayer. I worship the one and only God, and I would never purposely say those things in prayer. Do any thoughts that cross my mind while I pray come into my prayer? And if so, do you think God has or would forgive me?..

Edit: I completely forgot to mention that the back of my mind always says “dear” and “Jesus” together, and I can’t just say that without it being a prayer, so I immediately pray. I pray way more than I want to. I pray more than 15 times a day unintentionally…

If it is not intended, you are free from sin. That said I would speak to a priest and ask for help with your idea of Satan.

for an act to be a sin one has to do it voluntarily. If what’s happening is involuntary it isn’t a sin. I would say don’t let it bother you.If it is bothering you go to confession and tell the Priest about it. I think he will tell you the same thing but give you advise or insight that would be helpful.

Really?.. I’ve sometimes had thoughts of just letting the thoughts be said anyways, but it’s always scared me… No one truly knows how sin works, in the way that God does, so to me, it could still be sinful…

If you are doing it and willing not to do it, it is not sin. it is sin living in you.

St Paul, Romans 7:14-20- We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.c For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

You have to try to stop this from happening though. Talk to a priest, even ask about a blessing or an exorcism, pray the Rosary and read the word of God asking Jesus to help you.

This sounds like an intrusive thought, which is a symptom of Obsssive Compulsive Disorder. One of the best ways to conquer an intrusive thought is to ignore it and not give it any judgement. When you judge an intrusive thought, you give it weight. This can cause a wave of anxiety where you judge yourself harshly for having the intrusive thought to begin with and creates the conditions for further intrusive thoughts.

I feel like this is some sort of health related issue… But I just wanted to be sure if it was sinful or not. Thank you for responding. It’s made me feel a bit better.

It started months ago, and it use to be so worse. I use to barely be able to think of anything other than the thoughts. I couldn’t listen to music or anything. I can now, but not much. It’s made me paranoid (I’m not sure what term to use), thinking God would take it as sinful.

Pray to your Mother Mary.

I completely forgot to mention in the post that the back of my mind always says “dear” and “God” together, and I can’t just say that without it being a prayer, so I immediately pray. I pray way more than I want to. I pray more than 15 times a day unintentionally…

This sounds like intrusive thoughts, as well as the compulsion to pray so many times a day, so you should seek the help of a mental health professional.

-Fr ACEGC

If I could, I would.

Why can’t you?

Can’t afford to. And I live with my parents, and they wouldn’t take me to see one. My mom believes I should come to her. But talking to her about my issues don’t help. She tends to make me feel bad about my issues.

I used to suffer with this same problem, and other kinds of intrusive “sinful thoughts”. I don’t want to spell them out, so as not to give your brain any more ideas to annoy you.

Anyway, my whole life was turned around when a priest said I was scrupulous and needed to seek mental help. I was prescribed Zoloft for anxiety and the intrusive thoughts went away!!!

Later, I was able to go off meds and live normally again. It really changed my life. I pray you can find some relief, too. It is a miserable way to live, but it does not have to be this way.

Can you drive or use public transportation? Are you still under your parent’s health insurance or can you get your own? You need to try and figure out these questions so you can see a doctor/therapist. If you are having intrusive thoughts you need a psychiatrist who can help you.

If your mom or dad won’t take you to the doctor, perhaps a friend or someone from church could give you a lift. There’s a solution out there if you work at it.

I can’t drive, there’s no public transportation near me, and to be completely honest, I don’t go to church. It’s not entirely my choice on that. I live in front of a Christian church that I don’t feel safe to attend. I did something really bad while there as a child, and since then the priest and his wife do not want me there. Even most of the people who attend the church don’t like me. So I have no friends from church.

I’m going through a very similar thing right now. I’ll pray for you!

I can’t offer much advice aside from continuing to try to possibly see a mental health professional, not entertaining the thoughts, and asking for Mary’s intercession. Another user here told me that and as hard as it is, I do acknowledge that it has to be done.

Stop. You are possibly suffering symptoms of OCD. You need to see a professional. I have been through this myself and know how awful it is. But these are unwanted, intrusive thoughts and are not sins. And do not start doubting whether they are unwanted, because they are unwanted. Full stop. Seek professional treatment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.