According to Jews, why no more public revelation?

What is the Jewish explanantion for why there are no more prophets or Scripture being written anymore? Is there a reason they give as to why there is no more public revelation for them?

I often ask this question of our Protestant brothers. I never thought of asking it of our Jewish friends too.:thumbsup:

[quote=Malachi4U]I often ask this question of our Protestant brothers. I never thought of asking it of our Jewish friends too.:thumbsup:
[/quote]

Why would you ask this to Protestants? I figured they would be on the same page as us on this.

Good morning all!

We believe that prophecy temporarily ceased with Malachi & will only be renewed when the Messiah comes.

Howzat?

Be well!

ssv :wave:

[quote=stillsmallvoice]Good morning all!

We believe that prophecy temporarily ceased with Malachi & will only be renewed when the Messiah comes.

Howzat?

Be well!

[/quote]

Well, thanks so much for taking the time to answer the question. I certainly appreciated it!

Hope all’s well with you there. I pray for the stability of Israel regularly and hope to visit someday.

[quote=stillsmallvoice]Good morning all!

Howzat?

Be well!

[/quote]

Yes, but why? That’s my real question. Why did it stop? Why do you believe it is done temporarily? Is it because the temple is gone?

[quote=Genesis315]Yes, but why? That’s my real question. Why did it stop? Why do you believe it is done temporarily? Is it because the temple is gone?
[/quote]

See this thread on post #43

Hi all!

Genesis315, you asked:

Yes, but why? That’s my real question. Why did it stop? Why do you believe it is done temporarily? Is it because the temple is gone?

Deuteronomy 32:19-20 says:

And the Lord saw, and spurned, because of the provoking of His sons and His daughters. And He said: 'I will hide My face from them, I will see what their end shall be; for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faithfulness."

Prophecy has temporarily ceased because we are still in that time when God said, “I will hide My face from them.” :frowning: :crying:

See jewfaq.org/prophet.htm & aish.com/tishabav/tishabavdefault/The_Lost_Art_of_Prophecy.asp & torah.org/learning/basics/primer/emuna/prophecy.html for Jewish views on prophecy.

Howzat?

Be well!

[quote=stillsmallvoice]Hi all!

Genesis315, you asked:

Deuteronomy 32:19-20 says:

Prophecy has temporarily ceased because we are still in that time when God said, “I will hide My face from them.” :frowning: :crying:

See jewfaq.org/prophet.htm & aish.com/tishabav/tishabavdefault/The_Lost_Art_of_Prophecy.asp & torah.org/learning/basics/primer/emuna/prophecy.html for Jewish views on prophecy.

Howzat?

Be well!

[/quote]

the only problem with that is that deuteronomy was written way before the other prophets came so it is impossible for you to “still be in that time” when that time ceased.

Hi bengal_fan!

You posted:

the only problem with that is that deuteronomy was written way before the other prophets came…

Correct.

…so it is impossible for you to “still be in that time” when that time ceased.

But God, in Deuteronomy 32:19-20, is speaking in the future tense & is, we believe, referring to a future period, i.e. now.

Be well!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.