According to Muslims, Jesus is a very poor teacher

Muslims claim that Jesus’ followers misunderstood Jesus and that they misinterpreted his teachings and made him God.

That makes me ask a question, “Was Jesus so incompetent that he could not explain the gospel correctly to his very own disciples? Was he such a poor and unwise teacher? Despite teaching them continuously for two years, did he still fail to make them see the clear truth?

I mean, think about it. Once Jesus said, “But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren.” (Matthew 23:8) This “one teacher” is clearly a reference to God.

And Jesus also said, "You call me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. " (John 13:13)

Seeing the parallel between the two statements, I wonder how some people think the apostles got it wrong.

Not to worry, iaskquestions.
It is not that Jesus was a poor teacher; He wasn’t. It is because the type of Christianity that Muhammad was exposed to at the time he lived (late sixth-early seventh centures A.D.) was a heretical sect called the Monophysites. This sect, in effect, believed that Jesus had only one nature: human. In claiming this, the Monophysites denied that Jesus was divine at all, and, thus, could not be the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity.

Therefore, it is Moslems who got it wrong ever since. I hope that this helps :o :frowning: .

The conspiracy theory of Muslims evolves around Christians, not the apostles. That is, all the churches established by the apostles and apostles’ disciples after them, in many countries, sat together to corrupt Jesus’ teachings…oh and it seems Jews and Christians sat together as well to corrupt the Jewish scriptures. Only Muslims are honest people who do not corrupt, it seems, or rather Allah became serious just with Muhammad.

Can we see some evidence for that? Because all the earliest writings (Paul’s letters, Gospels, 2nd century Church Fathers) claim that Jesus is God rather explicitly. You’d have to say that Paul and John and Matthew, all apostles, fabricated and lied in their respective Gospels and letters, or that people like Polycarp and Ignatius, living one generation after, somehow deliberately corrupted their message but for some reason suffered terrible martyrdom for it. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

And I’d be very careful to call the early Christians dishonest fabricators. Many of them suffered martyrdom that was so cruel we can barely imagine it (roasted alive, thrown in boiling oil, fed to lions, etc). As Peter Kreeft says, martyrdom doesn’t prove truth, but it does prove sincerity. Liars don’t die in such ways for their lies.

LOL just to clear it up… InJesus is not a Muslim, he’s just explaining the stuff that Muslims claim. :o

I wonder what he was doing till then.

allowing Jews and christians to corrupt His words otherwise why would he send muhammad?:wink:

see the highlighed words? well the majority of Muslims not only are ignorant about the Christian history ,but they do not care neither about history nor common sense if Muhammad says otherwise. If history and common sense refute their claims, they just give it a blind eye because Muhammad “cannot” be wrong. So if you are bent to historical studies and logical arguments, you will be disappointed while discussing with many Muslims.

It doesn’t matter what Muslims think or feel about Christ. It doesn’t matter to me what they say about Christ, they will be judged in the end.

It is not that Jesus was a poor teacher; He wasn’t. It is because the type of Christianity that Muhammad was exposed to at the time he lived (late sixth-early seventh centures A.D.) was a heretical sect called the Monophysites. This sect, in effect, believed that Jesus had only one nature: human. In claiming this, the Monophysites denied that Jesus was divine at all, and, thus, could not be the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity.

**You’re confusing Monophysitism with Arianism.

In Monophysitism as condemned by the 4th council Christ had one nature in which the Divine and Human were mingled, and the human nature not fully human.

The churches that have classically rejected Chalcedon have said this is NOT a fair summary of their teaching. From what I have seen on their various sites, as far as I can tell, it’s a terminological issue. **

The Qu’ran also advises Muslims to read the Injil (Gospels), even though they are considered “corrupted” by Muslims. Similarly, LDS are advised to read the New Testament, even though the “Great and Abominable Church” (not hard to read between the lines here, considering their pre 1990 temple endowment ceremony) took “away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away.”

My question has always been: If it is corrupted, why read it? If these faiths successive “scripture” (the Quran, BoM, etc) are “most correct”, why read something you consider fallible and corrupted??

Quran says "**read the gospel **(injil) … (1)

Muslims say “gospel is corrupted” … (2)

Therefore, from (1) and (2)

Quran says, “Read something which is corrupted

Therefore, Quran says, “Read something which is false

Therefore, Quran is corrupted.

Therefore, Quran is not the word of God.

How do you find my conclusion?

ah well Muslims are good at creating conspiracy theories from conspiracy theories…they will say that there was “once” a valid scripture, and this is what the Quran refers to, among other hilarious claims.

Once? When? Quran itself was written 600 years after the gospel. If the Quran says read the gospel, then atleast at that time the gospel should not have been corrupted!

Muslims don’t think Jesus was a poor teacher, nor do they think Jesus’s actual disciples were poor students.

Where does the Qur’an tell Muslims to read the Gospel?

Then why do you say that Jesus is not God? Both Jesus and his disciples revealed that.

“He has revealed to you the Book with truth, verifying that which is before it, and He revealed the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel) aforetime, a guidance for the people, and He sent the Furqan (Criterion).” (Qu’ran 3.3).

Because the Qur’an says Jesus is not God. Because Jesus never said he was God, and his disciples never said Jesus was God. Whoever told you that he is? He lied. It’s not your fault, but you really should investigate and try to determine the truth. What did Jesus really preach? It certainly wasn’t Trinity.

“He has revealed to you the Book with truth, verifying that which is before it, and He revealed the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel) aforetime, a guidance for the people, and He sent the Furqan (Criterion).” (Qu’ran 3.3).

This does not tell Muslims to read the Gospel. It says that God revealed the Gospel. My question still stands.

Consider these scripture verses.

God revealed his **divine name **to Moses.

Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me,What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, `**I AM **has sent me to you.’” (Exodus 3:13-14)

So **I AM **is God’s divine name.

Jesus claimed this name for himself.

“Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple.” (John 8:58)

Look at the immediate reaction of the Jews. They wanted to stone him for they thought he was blaspheming by claiming God’s name for himself. Later, when Jesus said,

I and the Father are one” (John 10:30) the Jews again took up stones to stone him (John 10:31)

The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we stone you but for blasphemy; because you, being a man, make yourself God.” (John 10:33)

But look what Jesus said in reply,

“do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, You are blaspheming,' because I said,I am the Son of God’?” (John 10:36)

Notice that Jesus said he was not blaspheming, and he further repeated himself by saying,

“that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father” (John 10:38)

Again, the Jews tried to arrest him (John 10:39), but Jesus escaped from their hands.

So we see that Jesus clearly revealed the fact that he had the same **divine name I AM **and that he was the Son of God and yet he and the Father were one. If he and the Father are one and they have the same divine name, then that makes Jesus God. Does it not?

Look at some other verses:

Jesus did not raise any objection when Thomas called him God.

“Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”” (John 20:28)

Jesus said he existed before the world!

“and now, Father, glorify thou me in thy own presence with the glory which I had with thee** before the world was made**.” (John 17:5)

If Jesus existed before the world, then he cannot be just another prophet who was born in time. Only **2 alternatives **remain,

1. He is an angel.
  2. He is** God**.

The first alternative cannot be true. Jesus makes a distinction between him and angels. Look what he says,

“But of that day or that hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Mark 13:32)

He clearly distinguishes himself from the angels. That leaves us with the other alternative - He is God.

Jesus allowed his disciples to worship him. The law of God forbids anyone from worsipping anyon other than God (Luke 4:8)

“And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”” (Matthew 14:32-33)

Jesus asked his disciples to give him the **same honour **that they give to the Father.

“that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.” (John 5:23)

Jesus said that whoever has seen him has seen the Father.

"Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, `Show us the Father’?” (John 14:9)

If that is not enough for you Amy, then visit this page.

scripturecatholic.com/jesus_christ_divinity.html

They did say he was God!

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1) The “Word” refers to Christ.

“to them belong the patriarchs, and of their race, according to the flesh, **is the Christ, God **who is over all be blessed for ever. Amen.” (Romans 9:5)

“who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped” (Philippians 2:6-7)

“He is the image of the invisible God” (Col 1:15)

“awaiting our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ” (Titus 2:13)

“but when the goodness and loving kindness of **God our Savior **appeared, he saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit, which he poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior” (Titus 3:4-6)

“And we know that **the Son of God has come **and has given us understanding, to know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.” (1 John 5:20)

So you see, even his disciples claimed that he was God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.