According to Protestants which church is the most biblical?

Is it the Baptists? Methodists? Lutherians?

I would like to know.

Peace

I’m sure every Protestant considers their own denomination to be the most biblical. If a Protestant believed another denomination were more biblical, wouldn’t they switch?

If a Protestant believed another denomination were more biblical, wouldn’t they switch?

Why bother? Each church has it’s quirks, even The Roman Catholic Church.

I’m Catholic, but many of my extended family members are of several different Protestant denominations. Just from talking to them, I’ve gathered that every Protestant denomination out there thinks they, themselves, are the most biblical. Otherwise, there would not be 30,000 different denominations. The Pentacostals in my family believe that they are members of the oldest Christian church in the world, claiming that they can trace their roots to the day of Pentacost. I cannot convince them otherwise. One of my cousins who was raised Catholic has converted to Protestantism and goes to a non-denominational church. Once I gently tried to explain to her that even though they called themselves “non-denominational”, that this was still a denomination of Protestantism in itself. She was thoroughly unconvinced, claiming that she was only a “born-again Christian” who went only by the inerrant word of God" and that all other Protestant denominations were man-made. Needless to say, she had worse things to say about Catholicism.

[quote=dennisknapp]According to Protestants which church is the most biblical?

I would like to know.

Peace
[/quote]

Well if you are talking historical…
I go by a Baptist chruch all the time and it says

“FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH”

It didnt look that old to me, but I went along with it. However later I found out in another city I saw a different Baptist chruch, and it said “First Baptist Church”. As I started to look around more I noticed that almost all of them say that. So after that I didnt know who to believe.

[quote=Catholic Dude]Well if you are talking historical…
I go by a Baptist chruch all the time and it says

“FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH”

It didnt look that old to me, but I went along with it. However later I found out in another city I saw a different Baptist chruch, and it said “First Baptist Church”. As I started to look around more I noticed that almost all of them say that. So after that I didnt know who to believe.
[/quote]

Not Second, not the Third but the First — Baptist Church!!!:smiley: oh there is a “Second Baptist Church” also in my town…

[quote=Bulldog]Not Second, not the Third but the First — Baptist Church!!!:smiley: oh there is a “Second Baptist Church” also in my town…
[/quote]

Many of them are “First Baptist Church of…”, so I guess they have laid claim to the city or the street, thus preventing a 2nd from coming along and teaching something different.

The one they happen to belong to at the particular time the question is asked.

[quote=dennisknapp]According to Protestants which church is the most biblical?

I would like to know.

Peace
[/quote]

I doubt most United Methodists walk around thinking about their church in precisely those terms. Read their Book of Discipline (sorry! may be the wrong term). It is clearly not all about returning to first-century exact duplication of being biblical. They include experience, reasonableness, stuff like this.

[quote=Pug]I doubt most United Methodists walk around thinking about their church in precisely those terms. Read their Book of Discipline (sorry! may be the wrong term). It is clearly not all about returning to first-century exact duplication of being biblical. They include experience, reasonableness, stuff like this.
[/quote]

Yes, but they would probably say that their denomination best conforms with the “spirit” of Jesus’s teachings in the New Testament.

No, I don’t buy it either.

Hopefully most protestants believe that the church of christ itself is the most biblical which contains all believers in the world. However, me being a protestant, I can say that yes if they are led to believe that a certain denomination has the right beliefs then they will be a part of that church’s beliefs and think that they are right… however we all know that no church is 100% perfect and has flaws since there are some things in the bible that we cannot even get a grasp of or comprehend which is why there are different theories and such to things which cause these different denominations.

bkniceley you said something interesting about the Bible, which I feel is really misrepresenting the Bible. I as a Catholic feel that it completely makes sense and if I have any doubts I just go to the Church and there is an easy answer.
I could not find that in Calvary Chapel there always were parts of the Bible you could argue about. So my opinion (from a former evangelical point of view) would be whatever perspective of the Bible we had at the time. Or whatever my pastor said and if I disagreed with him too much then you changed churches.

[quote=Pug]I doubt most United Methodists walk around thinking about their church in precisely those terms. Read their Book of Discipline (sorry! may be the wrong term). It is clearly not all about returning to first-century exact duplication of being biblical. They include experience, reasonableness, stuff like this.
[/quote]

That is because Methodist are a direct link from the Anglican church which attempts to use some church history and logic or reasonableness and experience. But as we see even this approach has its weaknesses as reasonablness, logic and experience can easily lead to liberalsim and religious indiferance.
But thsi approach does usually steer clear from leanings of fundamentism. Other more strict sola scriptura gorups adhere to of course their weakness is biblical fundamentilism.

[quote=bkniceley]Hopefully most protestants believe that the church of christ itself is the most biblical which contains all believers in the world. However, me being a protestant, I can say that yes if they are led to believe that a certain denomination has the right beliefs then they will be a part of that church’s beliefs and think that they are right… however we all know that no church is 100% perfect and has flaws since there are some things in the bible that we cannot even get a grasp of or comprehend which is why there are different theories and such to things which cause these different denominations.
[/quote]

Uhh the problem you speak of is sola scriptura. There is nothing wrong with the Bible that the authroity of the church which Jesus gave the church wouldn’t solve biblical interpretation.
You seem to have a short memory. The church was undivided in interpretation for the most part until the reformation. I know that’s hard to comprhened as their is a different denomination on every block now adays and as many interpretations as their are pastors but yeah their was one faith one lord and one baptism for 1500 years. It did not take 150 years for hundereds of different denominations and hundreds of interpretations to take place in protestant ideaology.

[/quote]

First of all,it is the “Discipline”(also referred to as the “little red book”–though it is a:D large brown book!).
You are talking about the “Wesley Quadrilateral”…(We Methodists just;) love big words). The four parts of it are: Scripture, Tradition, Reason, & Experience. The idea is to strike a :hmmm: balance without going too far off on tangents…

[quote=bkniceley]Hopefully most protestants believe that the church of christ itself is the most biblical which contains all believers in the world. However, me being a protestant, I can say that yes if they are led to believe that a certain denomination has the right beliefs then they will be a part of that church’s beliefs and think that they are right… however we all know that no church is 100% perfect and has flaws since there are some things in the bible that we cannot even get a grasp of or comprehend which is why there are different theories and such to things which cause these different denominations.
[/quote]

Actually the Catholic Church is perfect. It is the people in it that are not. The Full Deposit of Faith is Truth and is perfect. The Church, the Bride of Christ is perfect.

We are the imperfection with the instruction to “become perfect … like my Father…”

Former Southern Baptist here: “First Baptist Church” denotes that it was the first Baptist Church founded in a given town or city or at least the first to think of using the name. It has nothing to do with “we think we are the FIRST church founded by Jesus.” Baptist believe that the Church is composed of all believers who have turned to Christ and asked Him for salvation. This doesn’t include only the baptized, as they believe Baptism to be only a public testimony of faith, with no regenerative power of it’s own (some minority Baptists believe it is regenerative, but they are tiny, independent congregations). Their ecclesiology is radically different from our Catholic view. Continuing with names, there may be, in some larger cities, “Second” or even “Third Baptist Churches.” Lots are named after the street on which they are located, or the part of town (“Eastside,” “North Central,” etc.).

MINE!!! :smiley:

I laughed when I saw this question. Biblical?

I suppose that the Followers of Baal are very biblical since they are written of in the Bible.

[quote=Bulldog]Not Second, not the Third but the First — Baptist Church!!!:smiley: oh there is a “Second Baptist Church” also in my town…
[/quote]

Also when I was about 10 I attended a “Foursquare church”, I was a little sad to find out it had nothing to do with the street ball game I used to play with 3 other friends.

p.s. where was the computer invented on a bar napkin?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.